Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Soooo glad you're both ok. Keep us informed on what they find to be the cause. Ditto on dinner for your heroic wife, you'd be toast (literally) without her. (Then again, wouldn't we all.)

I too keep a fire extinguisher near the bed, to fight the fire while the wife bails out the window or to fight my way to the grandson sleeping forward.

Some questions for you Steve; I've heard one should shake a fire extinguisher every once in a while to stir up its contents, and shake it a bit when deploying it. Did you shake yours periodically? Or when you used it? Did it come out in a uniform cloud of extinguishant or did it start out clear and get real cloudy? How old was your extinguisher? How big was your extinguisher?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Soooo glad you're both ok. Keep us informed on what they find to be the cause. Ditto on dinner for your heroic wife, you'd be toast (literally) without her. (Then again, wouldn't we all.)

I too keep a fire extinguisher near the bed, to fight the fire while the wife bails out the window or to fight my way to the grandson sleeping forward.

Some questions for you Steve; I've heard one should shake a fire extinguisher every once in a while to stir up its contents, and shake it a bit when deploying it. Did you shake yours periodically? Or when you used it? Did it come out in a uniform cloud of extinguishant or did it start out clear and get real cloudy? How old was your extinguisher? How big was your extinguisher?

Hey Tony,

Good questions. This extinguisher was a 2 liter foam and is about 8-9 years old.
It hasn't been off its spot on the wall since we had some remodeling done in 2011. It worked perfectly with a big stream of foam. Knocked the fire down in a hurry.

I have an assigned claim number and have spoken with the adjuster. He has assigned a local company to send an inspector. I have also booked an appointment with Alliance Coach in Wildwood which is just about 130 miles from me. The appointment starts Monday, Jan 30th.

A mobile RV tech stopped by & looked at it with me. He believes, and I concur, that the fire started with some 12 VDC wiring which caught the duct work on fire.

I'm guessing that I won't know any more until the repair work starts. I'll update this thread when there is more to tell.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1484689207.392932.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	149361
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #17

Time to check FE and buy another.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 01-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow. Sorry to hear this. That's one close call!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #19

New Horizons Owners Club
Glad to hear you all are safe. Scary stuff. We pulled our fantastic fans out for cleaning this fall and found one power wire with about 6 inches of insulation stripped completely off of the conductor. Lucky for us no sign of arcing before we caught it.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #20

Wow, glad you are ok. We had some work done at Alliance on our chassis and were very pleased. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Hey guys,
This is an informational post, for your edification. We had a fire in the coach last night. My wife is a night owl and if she hadn't been awake when it started, we might not have survived or at least the coach would have suffered heavy damage.

The fire started up above the cold air return just below the center A/C unit. I'm not going to poke around until I touch base with the insurance company, but the fire was centered at a wire bundle close to a junction box. The fire burned completely through the duct and traveled forward as far as the first downward facing cold air dump opening. The two forward A/C units were off and I suspect that the bedroom unit, which was on high fan only, pushed the fire in that direction.

Sharon heard some strange noise coming from the ceiling & came & got me. Luckily the fire was just getting started and the noise was wires shorting & sparking. Standing In front of the cooktop, I could see the sparking and then open flame up above the drop down panel. I grabbed a fire extinguisher mounter behind the driver's seat & shot foam up above the drop down panel. Luckily, that did the trick because, as you know, it takes a little time to drop the panel.

At this point I don't know the root cause. No breakers tripped but the 12 VDC fuse for the A/C controllers was blown.

I'll give you guys an up date when I know anything further.
Steve,

Sure glad your wife was awake and you got the fire put out before it spread. We know how fast these things can burn and there is little time to get out. Sure makes me nervous thinking about all the points a fire can get started and no matter how careful we are there are wire bundles we can't access for a visual inspection.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep one of Mac The Fire Guy's foam Extinguishers next to the bed..

And you just explained why

I also had something happen here that MIGHT be a hint. No fire but a big flash.. A Clunk (likely the Auto Transfer Relay in my inverter) The TV I was watchign re-started (As though it had been unplugged and plugged back in) and the web page I was loading off the file server in the other room, where the flash came from, stopped loading "Server not found".

Belief (mine and professionals) is an insect did a primary short in the computer power supply. he's looking for the hidden fuse.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you and your wife are OK and that she's a light sleeper.

Also appreciate the information and updates. It benefits everyone to know what happen and hopefully what might be done to prevent similar incidents.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Steve, I can only echo what everyone else has said about it being so good to hear that you guys noticed the problem early and were able to get the fire out before anything worse happened.

Your experience does make one stop and think. I especially like the suggestions voiced about having a fire extinguisher in the bedroom in addition to the one everyone carries in the very front of the coach.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #25

Steve,

As the others have said, glad you caught it soon enough to put it out. But most importantly, glad you and the Mrs, are safe. The coach can be replaced but your precious lives cannot. I wish you the best of luck in your repairs and asap getting back to normal.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Out of curiosity, was that 3rd A/C unit added on or was it a factory install?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Wow,

So glad you guys are OK.

I am terrified of an interior fire. We keep two fire extinguishers on board and one large one below in storage. A buddy of mine is with a local FD and he warned me about how fast you could be overcome in a smaller enclosed space. We also have three smoke and 2 carbon monoxide mounted throughout the cabin. I also put one repeater (that sets the main cabin ones off) in the storage bay where the there are some electronics.

As I was writing this, I just realized that I really am not sure (without looking) which windows have the red escape stickers by them, I guess I need to memorize their locations.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Steve, I know we've had some disagreements, but glad you're okay. Hopefully it's a quick repair without too much disruption.

I just added a second extinguisher alongside the bed a few months back.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire