Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #29

I'm going to make a swag and say a wire nut came loose and sparked heat. The air movement from the rear air was just enough to fan it to a flame.

RV vibration causes some nuts and bolts to loosen up.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 11:02 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Steve, I glad you and your wife dodged a tragedy. It would have been a different outcome if left for another minute. My hat's off to you to have been prepared for such a scenario and knowing what to do without hesitation.

My situation last June wasn't as scary, but sure opened my eyes. I was home working on the coach and had the rear A/C on and it quit running. Thermostat set correctly, breaker not tripped, so I had a look at the A/C J-box above the interior cover. After discovering the problem, I considered myself lucky that it happened when it did.

The wires were still tight in the wire nuts, the amps were within spec (at least when checking after the repair) and the burned wires were not touching the metal box. Stuff happens! Fortunately, I had enough slack to bring more wire into J-box and redo the connections. Then I checked the front box, which was fine.

I have original dry powder extinguisher by passenger seat, foam by dining table, foam in bedroom, and big dry powder, along with Halon in bay outside. Every trip I check my emergency window and have a go bag, with door keys, by the window. Out the window first, try putting out fire second, if safe to do so. That's my plan.

Again, glad you two are safe and your coach is not destroyed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1484719299.433380.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	149420

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1484719325.701344.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	149421

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:15 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, sure am glad to hear that you and Sharon got it out and that was the extent of your problems. Scary thinking what could have happened had you both been sleeping. Let's hope that your insurance and Wildwood get you taken care of in a hurry.

Wish I was closer and able to help somehow. But really glad to hear your both ok.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:03 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
I'm going to make a swag and say a wire nut came loose and sparked heat. The air movement from the rear air was just enough to fan it to a flame.

RV vibration causes some nuts and bolts to loosen up.
That's why I tape those connections even in the S&B.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:31 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Great news that you are both alright. Got me thinking that the one extinguisher at the front door is not enough. Will be picking up another for the bedroom today.

Best reminder for all of us to be protected in all areas if not over protected.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:12 AM   #34

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Steve, the photos are scary. My damage from the NorCold fire in 2014 wasn't as bad as yours but it sure does get your heart racing in a hurry. I will be snooping around my A/C units this weekend.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeldale View Post
Great news that you are both alright. Got me thinking that the one extinguisher at the front door is not enough. Will be picking up another for the bedroom today.

Best reminder for all of us to be protected in all areas if not over protected.
Read this before you buy a second unit. After attending Mac The Fire Guy's seminar, I have 4 of the foam type units in our rig and one in the toad.

RV Fire Safety
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Steve, Boy! what a shock. I though our rigs were a little better put together than than. Bet it was a high resistance junction of the wires that was the cause. Sounds like you had one of Mac The Fire Guy's foam units and the foam did what it's supposed to.

Will you be at the rally in Goshen in May this year? If so I'll see you there.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Scary stuff, glad ya'll are okay.
foretexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, scary stuff Steve. I am glad you guy's are ok. For the money we pay for these things they should be safer then what they are.
We bought our Imperial used it was 10 years old. I had it in for the Norcold update and they discovered the there was no upper flue to the roof vent. All the wood or luan was charred quite badly and it is amazing that it didn't light up. It was like that for ten years.
Just a little oversight on the builders part!!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
First: I am NOT AN ELECTRICIAN.

I had an electrician here at my house a couple of years ago. My house was built in 1954 and the previous owner liked to do repairs himself. He showed me a whole bunch of wire nuts which had the wires stuck in them and then the wire nuts firmly screwed on. He said this is NOT enough and that the #1 cause of house fires is due to lack of physical connection within the wire nuts. If you take a wire nut off of wiring that has been done correctly, you will see that the wires are twisted tightly together and for a fairly decent length of wire. THEN the wire nut is applied as a protection device, not a fastener.

I can't tell that this is what caused your issue, but it sure looks like it.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #40

Steve and Sharon:

OUCH!!!!! Holly S*-+!

1st. SOOOOOOO incredibly thrilled that you are both physically OK. Mentally... Maybe check that part out after your insurance adjuster reports on his inspection.

2nd. Just reading through all of the posts on this thread - understanding that it was only posted this morning - is a testament to who you are and how important your safety is to others. You are one of the few who openly and freely gives of your knowledge. Know that it is extremely appreciated.

3rd. Your posting is an advisory to all of the rest of us that even as knowledgeable and observant as you are, this could happen to any of us!!

4th. At least you're in a warm climate now rather than in a rainy and or cold and snowy place.

5th. Knowing that now you've a lot on your plate - when time permits - we would all obviously like to know how things work out for you two.

6th. Last but definitely not least, thank you for being there for the rest of us. I know that we'd all - in some way - like to be there/available to help you.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #41

Fire in the coach

First of all, thanks to all of you who have wished us well. We all meet so many like minded people here on these forums and become friends even if we never meet. These machines we drive and live in and maintain are much closer to "one off" vehicles, built by humans than our current crop of automobiles which are largely assembled by robotics. Lots of opportunity for issues, especially after 14 years bumping down the road. Answers to a few specifics:
1. No the A/C unit above the fire was turned off at the thermostat. The bedroom unit was on "fan only" and served to push the fire toward the front of the coach in the duct. Fire damage to about 4' of duct.
2. The 3rd A/C unit is OEM.
3. Dutchstar Don. You are a good guy and a knowledgable owner. I was wrong to jump on you back then.
4. Chet. Won't be at the Chapter 419 this year. Maybe next. My best friend is going to have by-pass surgery next week & will be out of action for 3-4 months, so we are going to go aggravate him for awhile.
5. We are able to live in the coach. I have both 120 volt and 12 volt power turned off the the A/C units and thermostats so the A/Cs are off line but as some one noted, we are Florida & it's mild enough to just use fans.

We are at the very beginning of this process. We are going to take the coach over to Alliance on Tuesday & give them a chance to look over the damage & come up with a game plan for the repair. Then we will go back the first week of February for the fix. I very foolishly thought I was pretty well prepared for problems. I carry a bunch of tool & spare parts. I drive defensively and try to think through possibilities. I can tell you that when I was faced with sparks and flames and smoke, I was reduced to "fight or flight". Heart pounding and shaking like a leaf. Being well prepared is a lot tougher than I thought.

I promise to up date this thread when I have something new to report.

Again, thanks to everyone for the good wishes.

Steve
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Steve, just saw your thread, and I am so glad you both are OK!
Are you able to stay in the Coach and use it? I hope so......
As said, the Coach can be repaired/replaced........so glad your wife was on her toes
Best of wishes in the weeks to come with the repairs! and hope everything goes smooth for you both!

Tags
fire