Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #43
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Wow Steve, glad you are okay.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Steve, I glad you and your wife dodged a tragedy. It would have been a different outcome if left for another minute. My hat's off to you to have been prepared for such a scenario and knowing what to do without hesitation.

My situation last June wasn't as scary, but sure opened my eyes. I was home working on the coach and had the rear A/C on and it quit running. Thermostat set correctly, breaker not tripped, so I had a look at the A/C J-box above the interior cover. After discovering the problem, I considered myself lucky that it happened when it did.

The wires were still tight in the wire nuts, the amps were within spec (at least when checking after the repair) and the burned wires were not touching the metal box. Stuff happens! Fortunately, I had enough slack to bring more wire into J-box and redo the connections. Then I checked the front box, which was fine.

I have original dry powder extinguisher by passenger seat, foam by dining table, foam in bedroom, and big dry powder, along with Halon in bay outside. Every trip I check my emergency window and have a go bag, with door keys, by the window. Out the window first, try putting out fire second, if safe to do so. That's my plan.

Again, glad you two are safe and your coach is not destroyed.

Attachment 149420

Attachment 149421

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ

Wow Harry, have to show me where these boxes are located.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 01-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Steve Wilma and I are so glad you and wife are safe and you were able to get everything under control, good luck on getting a satisfactory and timely repair.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe I will quit b*tching that my wife stays up so late.................
Very glad to hear all safe!
I put a second big extinguisher in bedroom right after we bought the coach,
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Steve, I glad you and your wife dodged a tragedy. It would have been a different outcome if left for another minute. My hat's off to you to have been prepared for such a scenario and knowing what to do without hesitation.

My situation last June wasn't as scary, but sure opened my eyes. I was home working on the coach and had the rear A/C on and it quit running. Thermostat set correctly, breaker not tripped, so I had a look at the A/C J-box above the interior cover. After discovering the problem, I considered myself lucky that it happened when it did.

The wires were still tight in the wire nuts, the amps were within spec (at least when checking after the repair) and the burned wires were not touching the metal box. Stuff happens! Fortunately, I had enough slack to bring more wire into J-box and redo the connections. Then I checked the front box, which was fine.

I have original dry powder extinguisher by passenger seat, foam by dining table, foam in bedroom, and big dry powder, along with Halon in bay outside. Every trip I check my emergency window and have a go bag, with door keys, by the window. Out the window first, try putting out fire second, if safe to do so. That's my plan.

Again, glad you two are safe and your coach is not destroyed.

Attachment 149420

Attachment 149421

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
I've had this exact same thing happen on two different RV's. Neither resulted in a fire. Just a failure of the A/C to operate. Guess I got lucky.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #48

And here is the conclusion of the story.

We traveled over to Wildwood, FL to Alliance Coach last Sunday. We met with our service adviser on Monday and went over the scope of repairs and how they planned to accomplish the fix.

We got two very good techs. They took the big center ceiling valence down that covered the two front A/C cold air returns and were able the expose the duct work by cutting & removing a plywood panel covering the duct work. This also exposed all the wiring running down the center of the ceiling beside the duct. The burned wiring was identified and replaced. It remains unclear as to the exact origin of the fire. The center A/C unit was destroyed as it was directly above the fire.

The repair was accomplished by two techs in less than two full working days. I have to say that they returned the coach to pre-fire conditions & I do have a new A/C unit, replacing the OEM 13 year old unit. I'll have to give an "atta boy" to Alliance Coach. I have never even been to the place before but I was impressed by their techs and they have a big, very busy service department.

I wish there was more take away here. I can only say, pay attention to you fire extinguishers and your smoke detectors. Look over your emergency exit window & give some prior thought as to how you would react at Zero dark thirty, when the smoke detector wakes you up and you're in a dark smoke filled bedroom. I can't depend on being lucky again and you can't depend on being lucky once.

Be safe friends.

Steve
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #49
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update they are important for those who may do a search of the subject in the future.

It's good to hear it worked out well for you and to your liking.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #50

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would say that was a fair fast turnaround to get everything repaired.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
That's a good ending to what could have been a very bad story, Steve. Thanks for posting.

Alliance is a good place to get service. They have several techs left over from the days that it used to be a Monaco service center. We were there for the first time a couple of years ago and were also impressed.

They do have some experience with fixing fire damage. We went in for a fix on the Norcold refrigerator when the recall box kept cutting out. I had bypassed the recall box a few days before, just to keep the refrigerator running, as it was fully stocked. At the time we were there there were two coaches in for fire repair from Norcold refers that had caught fire - a Diplomat and a Dynasty. We came out of there with a new Samsung residential refrigerator in our Diplomat.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #52

Now at the risk of offending a lot of folks, and I am glad no real harm was done, you can't find a better buyer for your motorhome than your insurance company!
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
And here is the conclusion of the story.

We traveled over to Wildwood, FL to Alliance Coach last Sunday. We met with our service adviser on Monday and went over the scope of repairs and how they planned to accomplish the fix.

We got two very good techs. They took the big center ceiling valence down that covered the two front A/C cold air returns and were able the expose the duct work by cutting & removing a plywood panel covering the duct work. This also exposed all the wiring running down the center of the ceiling beside the duct. The burned wiring was identified and replaced. It remains unclear as to the exact origin of the fire. The center A/C unit was destroyed as it was directly above the fire.

The repair was accomplished by two techs in less than two full working days. I have to say that they returned the coach to pre-fire conditions & I do have a new A/C unit, replacing the OEM 13 year old unit. I'll have to give an "atta boy" to Alliance Coach. I have never even been to the place before but I was impressed by their techs and they have a big, very busy service department.

I wish there was more take away here. I can only say, pay attention to you fire extinguishers and your smoke detectors. Look over your emergency exit window & give some prior thought as to how you would react at Zero dark thirty, when the smoke detector wakes you up and you're in a dark smoke filled bedroom. I can't depend on being lucky again and you can't depend on being lucky once.

Be safe friends.

Steve

Steve very thankful for you and family. Its good the coach was repairable, many times they are not.
Heed your advice, I added 2 more extinguishers to the coach inside and one in my runbay outside.
I check monthly the detectors and all safety equipment.
Take care
Perry
Old 02-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Sure am glad to hear that they got you all took care of quickly and your all set to go again.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Steve, thanks for the update, and glad they got it fixed quickly and to your liking! Always good to here of a great shop and quality work! Rail!
Old 02-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Nothing like a happy ending! Glad it worked out to your satisfaction!
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire