Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
First trip out problems

First trip out this season and nothing but problems. After going about 10 miles the alternator light and alarm came on , shows only charging around 11 volts, we only were going a hour away from home and had reservations so continued on. Made it to campground with no more problems. DW was watching me open the door to the electric compartment and noticed the door was separating on the top from the body, looks like screws have pulled out. Have no idea as to how to repair this, can't get to it from the compartment. The motorhome is a 2008 HR vacationer with the 340 diesel pusher. Any ideas on how to fix the door? It's only has 4300 miles on it and no warranty, what a shame.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What a lucky man. First trip out and you only had two problems. You need to get on your knees and give thanks. We use our mh on average every three weeks and I have at least two problems each trip.

There has to be access to those hinges someplace.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your problems, but I agree not unusual to have them. Why else would everyone carry such big tool boxes? Would be a shame to haul them around and never use them!! Seriously though, we had a similar charging problem on a previous motorhome. We were coming back from florida and the charge light came on; I started the generator which also charges the chassis batteries, and came on home. After wrestling out the huge alternator and taking it to a friend who rebuilds alternators, he told me the alternator was fine. I wound up running a new voltage sensing wire and then it worked great. I would check all your connections first and clean them and put a dielectric grease on them.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
cabin man, sorry to hear about the problems. If you have a volt meter, check the battery voltage at the batteries with the engine off also with it running. With the engine running you should be getting 13.5 to 13.8 volts to charge the batteries. Any less you have a problem.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the advice, of course left volt meter at home, but we are only out for the weekend so will check out when we get home. Looking at the dash meter I tend to agree it's either a bad connection or regulator. Hope it's not the alternator, would that be covered under Cumming's warranty if it is?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It should if it isn't something in the house wiring drawing down the voltage. The door problem, it may be the same kind of problem my friend who owns a Vacationer like mine had with his door over the rear electrical connections. The screws behind the door molding at the top had missed the body, so when you open the door it comes loose. He had it repaired with pop rivets and then just touch up painted the rivets.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Gramps mine was the same exact problem, I took a utility knife and scored the bead of silicone along the cover and then was able use a small block of wood to drive the cover off, that was a job probably 10 feet long. I had at least 6 screws that were broken, some I would say were that way from the factory. Drilled new holes next to the broken ones and used sheet metal screw to re-attach the bracket. Then was able to snap the cover back on with a rubber hammer. Looks like new and door works great. Now next is to find out what's going on with the alternator, on the way home it would work fine for about 10 miles act up and then work fine for anothe 10, I'll check for loose wires in the morning.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #8

Cabin man
I had to change my alternator too and it was covert by Spartan not Cummins was still on waranry
good luck
Andrew
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote