Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 11:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Flushing Grey Water Tank - FYI

Hi Folks;

A couple of times now I've flushed the grey water tank and been really surprised by what comes out of there. Normal operation is to leave the valve open so anything going down the drain goes straight out into the park.

I have a clear elbow coming out of the grey & black tank so it's easy to see. Anyway, every once in a while I close off the valve and then do laundry for the day with the idea being to fill the tank with laundry detergent and water.

I then let it sit for a while and then pull the plug. It's pretty wild. Lot's of odd chunks of all sorts of 'baked' on junk seems to come out of the tank.

A lot of times noodles and the odd food stuff goes down the drain. My guess is it sticks in the tank and then molds into a black chunk. When I flush the tank it's quite amazing how many of those come out.

Sometimes I get an odor from the drains, when I do the flush those odors are gone. Just thought I would mention it as many people are diligent in flushing the black water tank but I've found it's also a good idea to flush the grey water tank every so often.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 02:24 AM   #2

I find it is prudent to limit the amount of food and grease being flushed into the gray tank.
PAtrailtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:37 AM   #3

I never leave either tank valve open. I treat the grey tank the same as the black tank. Leave the valve shut until the tank is nearly full then top the tank off with clean water. I drain my black tank first then close the black tank valve and open the grey tank valve to flush out the drain hose.
We don't allow any solids or grease to go down the sink drain. Dishes get wiped before putting them into the sink for washing.
Keeping the valves closed keeps odors from coming out of the roof vent. When you leave the valve open you are venting the campground's sewer system.
A thorough rinsing after draining the tanks is always a good policy. Fill the tanks then drain them to whoosh out any solids left behind from the initial draining.
Lynn
Old 07-19-2019, 03:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Hi Folks;

A couple of times now I've flushed the grey water tank and been really surprised by what comes out of there. Normal operation is to leave the valve open so anything going down the drain goes straight out into the park.

I have a clear elbow coming out of the grey & black tank so it's easy to see. Anyway, every once in a while I close off the valve and then do laundry for the day with the idea being to fill the tank with laundry detergent and water.

I then let it sit for a while and then pull the plug. It's pretty wild. Lot's of odd chunks of all sorts of 'baked' on junk seems to come out of the tank.

A lot of times noodles and the odd food stuff goes down the drain. My guess is it sticks in the tank and then molds into a black chunk. When I flush the tank it's quite amazing how many of those come out.

Sometimes I get an odor from the drains, when I do the flush those odors are gone. Just thought I would mention it as many people are diligent in flushing the black water tank but I've found it's also a good idea to flush the grey water tank every so often.
Bob,

That is about normal. If the black tank is left open while you are camped there is not enough flow to carry the solids out to the sewer connection. Some will leave the black valve closed for that reason and go out and flush when necessary. We have the SaniCon and leave the valve open while camped. When time to flush we first dump the tank and then close the black valve and turn on the tank flush. Wait until the tank is about 1/3 full and flush again. We repeat this until there are no more solids passing by the clear elbow. We then add water back into the tank before shutting off the tank flush. Keeping water in the tank helps to prevent a build up under the toilet and provides a washing action while you drive. It also helps to close the gray water tank the night before you break camp and use that water to flush out the sewer hose after dumping the black tank.

You will get many comments on this subject and each person has their own tried and true method.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #5

Two or three times a year, I buy a large jug of HE laundry detergent. When travel day is coming, and I'm going to actually be driving for a while, I time the dumping of my tanks so that I have about a half tank on both the gray and the black on that morning. If you want to dump and fill to half with fresh, that would be awesome, but I don't. I put half of the jug of detergent in each tank, and away we go.

The "wash cycle" happens automatically on the road, and I feel like I'm doing great good for my tanks. It may not accomplish a thing, but I'll always believe that it does. It can't help but break down at least some of the "stuff" that's accumulated on the sides and bottom of the tanks. In any case, we always try to plan our trips so that the last leg of the trip is made with the tanks somewhere around half full so they can slosh around a bit prior to dumping both, HE or no HE.

Finally, Bob nails it! We NEVER drain the black tank completely, unless we're winterizing. Must, must, must have a cushion of water under the "privy" to avoid what I call the "Cone of Death!"
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #6

Leave 'waste tank' dump valves closed

Dump when 'waste tank' level is HIGH
That allows for the WHOOSH affect....carries solids/stuff down and OUT
After dumping add few gallons back into 'waste tanks' (couple full toilet bowls/couple full sinks)---that keeps bottom of tank and any stuff left WET
Water will then slosh around while driving

No REAL need to Fill/Flush/Rinse 'waste tanks'
Waste of time/resources---lots of GOOD water going down the drain

Funny how folks don't OCD over S&B 'waste system' .....
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Funny how folks don't OCD over S&B 'waste system' .....
That's probably because they don't usually see it coming out of a pipe or "get their hands in it"
Old 07-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtrailtrim View Post
I find it is prudent to limit the amount of food and grease being flushed into the gray tank.
Makes good sense and I've thought about that myself as well. But consider all the debris that goes into the grey tank when doing laundry. Same thing with showering. Hair, shaving bits etc. Then there's the food particles.

My guess is that if you leave the grey valve open, as so many suggest, then you will likely get buildup in there over time. Either way, I was really surprised to see what came out of the tank when it was full of hot water and laundry detergent for several cycles.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #9

Here are some tips on tank maintenance. Obviously this company is promoting their product but their methods are the same for any tank chemical you choose.

https://www.happycampersworld.com/tips-tanks/
Lynn
Old 07-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
When we started RV'ing +22 years ago my wife was friends with an older solo RV'er who provided us with advice. She advised us DO NOT flush toilet paper down the toilet. Seemed unconventional at best but since then that's what we've done and have never had a problem with our black tank. We do not use any type of treatment. I will flush the tank occasionally but not on a strict schedule.

One of my friends went through blocked black tank drain experience, it took him days to get it cleared.

Another time, while traveling with another solo RV'er we had a heck of a time getting her black tank drain to start flowing. Ultimately a half dozen of us started rocking the RV back and forth and finally it broke loose, it looked like almost solid toilet paper. What a fiasco, during which time a half dozen other RV'ers were lined up waiting to dump.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post

My guess is that if you leave the grey valve open, as so many suggest, then you will likely get buildup in there over time. .

That's a big statement to guess! We have left our grey tank valves open for 7 years of FT, and no problems to report yet. Besides, I don't plan on using the waste tank for anything else, why clean it?
I do agree with the "no toilet paper" method in the black tank, and we have proof it works. Of any stories or people I have talked to that have had black tank issues, the common factor seems to be the practice of flushing down toilet paper.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #12

we bought some little screens that fit over the sink drains and they catch most of the solids and particles from food prep and washing. not perfect but everything they catch is something that doesn't have to be flushed out.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
dont leave the valve open not sure anyone does that unless you want poop pyramid
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
When we started RV'ing +22 years ago my wife was friends with an older solo RV'er who provided us with advice. She advised us DO NOT flush toilet paper down the toilet. Seemed unconventional at best but since then that's what we've done and have never had a problem with our black tank. We do not use any type of treatment. I will flush the tank occasionally but not on a strict schedule.

One of my friends went through blocked black tank drain experience, it took him days to get it cleared.

Another time, while traveling with another solo RV'er we had a heck of a time getting her black tank drain to start flowing. Ultimately a half dozen of us started rocking the RV back and forth and finally it broke loose, it looked like almost solid toilet paper. What a fiasco, during which time a half dozen other RV'ers were lined up waiting to dump.
Thats different not using your toilet
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water