RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #1

Fogged headlight covers

I polished the covers on my 06 Patriot Thunder because they were so milky the headlights were useless.

I used a polisher and the Turtle Wax product that comes with a sealant. The came clear and I felt pretty good. Well, it has been about 2 months and they are fogging again.

I have read suggestions that you spray the covers with clear coat, but I thought before I do that I'd ask if anyone has any experience preventing or slowing this process.

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We found new headlites for under $30 ea. a few months ago. Turns out to be Nissan pathfinder. Yours may be some other brand, but new look great and now we have spare bulbs too!

Mike

Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Paul I have had good luck with the kits with the little sanding disk and a polishing pad with polish to polish clear, I have done quite a few and they stay clear, is this what your kit had?
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137
Paul I have had good luck with the kits with the little sanding disk and a polishing pad with polish to polish clear, I have done quite a few and they stay clear, is this what your kit had?
I just finished mine using the kit from "mothers". Took less than 30 minutes and they look brand new! I recommend it highly!!!!! Just need a variable speed drill and a warm day.
Dukeinhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just finished mine with the kit from
"mothers". They look brand new. Took less than 30 minutes and all you need is a variable speed drill and a warm day. I recommend the kit!!!!!!
Dukeinhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #6

Walt - that is what I used. I bought a MacGuire's polishing ball and the Turtle Wax kit (because it had a sealant that should slow down future fogging). Came lovely and clear, but it has started to fog again (you can't really see the fogging in the photo).

Mike, sadly I don't thing any other manufacturer used this strange headlight configuration. It was used on the other Monaco coaches of the same period. It would be nice if it was a standard part on a Pathfinder, they made a lot more of those than they did motor homes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	13135  
Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #7

I have been told that having 3M clear film installed on headlights prevents fogging. Sort of like the sealer concept from you Turtle wax kit.

You might also want to talk to Monaco about what auto/yr those headlights came from in case it would be possible to purchase new ones.
Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #8

distaff, I looked on my headlight and turn signal/running lights and found they were made by TYC. I wrote down the numbers on the 4 different lights, searched Amazon and bought all 4 new assemblies and the headlights had new bulbs in them for less than $70 including shipping. The install was not fun but I did all of mine in about 6 hours. The driver side headlight on my coach was a bear to get the mounting bracket out that holds the headlight assembly. I had tried the headlight polishing on my Caravan and it didn't turn out very well. I need to replace them also. George R. 2001 Diplomat
Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Walt - that is what I used. I bought a MacGuire's polishing ball and the Turtle Wax kit (because it had a sealant that should slow down future fogging). Came lovely and clear, but it has started to fog again (you can't really see the fogging in the photo).

Mike, sadly I don't thing any other manufacturer used this strange headlight configuration. It was used on the other Monaco coaches of the same period. It would be nice if it was a standard part on a Pathfinder, they made a lot more of those than they did motor homes.
I think that is a 04 to a 08 Ford F 150 head light.
Have a look at #120764310128 on E bay
Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #10

Walt - that is unbelievable. How did you figure that out?

Thanks very much. Will save me a lot of money if I replace them.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Paul we have a pats list on Monacoers that has a lot of the monaco parts but your headlight for your coach was not listed so I went to E bay with your picture and I am pretty sure that is your headlight, might be a good idea to find a F150 and make sure, if and when you replace the headlight and that is correct be sure to let Rex or me know and he will add it to our part list on Monacoers. At walt2137@ yahoo.com
Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #12

Walt, I'll do that if I decide to replace it. In the mean time I'll look around and compare - my brother is in the used car business and probably has a couple lying around.

I'm just really impressed that you spotted that give how many different vehicles are out that that it could have come from. I'm not surprised that they use parts from other manufacture's parts bins, this stuff is pretty expensive to develop. I am surprised that it seems the same part because on the two vehicles they sure look different.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #13

Walt,

I had separately asked Monaco if that part was available. It is, for $186 a side. I then asked if it was the same part as the 04 to 08 Ford F150. She wrote me back to confirm that it was off a Ford pickup, but she didn't know the year. I would say that it is confirmed and you can put it on your other site. I have done a visual comparison, although I have not pulled one to compare.

Paul.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Paul, thanks for the Monaco info. I have captured what Walt suggested and also looked it up elsewhere and also think it is the 04 Ford 150 headlight.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote