Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #1

Fresh water gravity fill hose replacement

This week's subject: Freshwater gravity fill hose replacement questions.
(I'm probably over thinking this one.)

I plan on using bulk reinforced corrugated polyethylene hose cut to length.

I assume that what HR used bulk hose not a specially molded hose although I see a piece of black plastic in about the middle of the hose and is molded into the hose and where it has failed.

That being said I have not yet removed the hose from the water tank nipple and suspect that they may have used sealant on it.

I also see from reading here at iRV2 that some say use the two wire hose clamp seems to have better results on the reinforced corrugated hose?
If using sealer on the polyethylene hose and I assume that the tank is made from polyethylene plastic ?..... I know of no sealer that works really good on polyethylene.

Do I just use Silicone sealer to fill any voids, using caution to not to get and in the fresh water tank holding tank.

What say you?

Im starting to think that reading posts here at iRV2 can be the kiss of death.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

Tractor supply or Farm and country should have by the foot clear hose similar to OE..

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #3

I have now dug in deeper to this project and removed the old hose from the coach and found it to waaaay more time consuming than expected and also had to remove much of the wet bay to gain access and working in tight quarters . Nothing technical, just the standard and MoHo stuff like 10 different kinds of screws, square, Phillips, hex head, and a ton of homemade l-brackets and the likes.

Once I removed the old hose from the nipple on the tank ( very time-consuming in very tight quarters ) and got a good look Im concerned as to what kind of sealer to use on the hose?

After removing the stainless steel flat-worm gear clamp, I went to remove the hose from the water tank nipple it was tight, tight, and was not going to twist off so I cut the hose off just beyond the nipple on the tank and started lifting and peeling with a pair of needle nose and the old hose off in pieces but pretty darn clean.

So the reason for my question is that this tank nipple just barely sticks out from the tank to gain access and dont want to screw up as to what type of sealer to use.

This place

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-947.htm

says…… " We recommend using some silicone caulk as a "pipe dope" if you experience any leaking"

As I look inside the old hose, what I see & feel is for lack of a better description feels and act like plumber putty and not like silicone RTV sealant. I can pull it off with my fingernail and roll it into a ball and squeeze it flat and it will stay flat …like putty.

So what is the Silicone caulking?

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill but the location and room where this nipple is, is very limited and don’t want to do it twice or go back in and have to remove the Wrong sealer from the nipple that is very hard to reach and chance screwing things up. I can only imagine what it takes to replace the water tank?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
Tractor supply or Farm and country should have by the foot clear hose similar to OE..
Thank you

TSC and Ace have no 1 3/8 might have to get it on the internet

The hose needs to be capable of making a very very tight radius 90 about 2 inches away from the nipple.

Tags
ace, fresh water, replace, replacement, water