RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fridge Box Dimensions

Hi folks!

Just wondering if anyone knows the rough dimensions of the fridge cutout in a 2000 Diplomat? It has the furnace under the fridge. It's a Norcold 1200 LRIM

I know what the Norcold dimensions are but it doesn't look like any fridge meets them. This makes me wonder if the actual cut-out the Norcold is in is larger then the fridge.

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The opening is slightly larger but not by much. Can't remember the actual measurement. My Norcold had a plastic trim piece all the way around that sealed up the opening.

I just replaced my Norcold with a Samsung RF18. Width wise I had ~5/8" space on each side.
The height was the problem to get the new fridge to fit. Here is a post I did describing what needed to be done
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sams...ne-461001.html
In the end I had ~3/4" gap left from the original cabinet frame across the top.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Like Jim mentioned, width wise you're fine. It's the height that gets you. I don't have a furnace under mine, but I couldn't go down. I had to loose the small cabinet above.

another issue was the depth. The cabinet depth was fine, but Monaco had surface mounted the electrical box on the outside (back ) wall. So that made the depth of the usable space about 2-3" less. I just relocated the box over the the side and all worked out.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm expecting to do some relocating while in there/customisation. The fridge I would like to install is a 22. It measures;

W 35.75
H 71.85
D 28.86

It's too bad no-one seems to have measured the cavity and come up with the maximum overall measurements for a replacement fridge. It seems like everyone takes out the Norcold first and then determines which fridge to source. For me, it would be a lot better to have the new fridge on hand and then replace the Norcold.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You should be able to get an existing measurement from the ceiling to the bottom of the fridge and then measure the clearance from the shelf the fridge sits on to the furnace.

Check also to see what brand of furnace you have. Mine could sit right on the floor, it is a Suburban 425F.

I checked the height on the Samsung RF18 I installed, it is 70 13/16"

The one you are interested in is ~1" taller.

The only way I could have made that fit is to remove the furnace, but not sure what you current ceiling height is.

The stand that I made straddles the furnace and there is only about ~1/4" of clearance once the refrigerator is pushed in. There may be 1/4" more clearance on the top but as it sits now when you open the door it barely clears the ceiling light in front of the fridge.

I did not install a platform but 2 stands that straddle the furnace set wide enough so I could roll the refrigerator across it, the wheels on the fridge were set wide enough to be able to do this.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #6

Don't know your coaches layout but 24 deep is as much as a dynasty can handle without sticking out of the designated space
shootist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
I'm expecting to do some relocating while in there/customisation. The fridge I would like to install is a 22. It measures;

W 35.75
H 71.85
D 28.86

It's too bad no-one seems to have measured the cavity and come up with the maximum overall measurements for a replacement fridge. It seems like everyone takes out the Norcold first and then determines which fridge to source. For me, it would be a lot better to have the new fridge on hand and then replace the Norcold.
Mine is 26”. Back wall to inside of front cabinet frame
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #8

Bob I previously had a 99 Diplomat and I have 2 brothers that have 99 Diplomats. We changed all 3 of them out and used a Whirlpool WRT 111 model although only about 11 cf, we could put way more stuff in it than the Norcold. On my current Windsor I opted to use the French door Fisher Paykel W25"xD27.38"xH67.5" I had to lower the platform down to 1'' above the furnace then it is almost an exact fit. It is a bit more costly than other models but hey we can't take it with us when we die so might as well enjoy
mlh2013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
Bob I previously had a 99 Diplomat and I have 2 brothers that have 99 Diplomats. We changed all 3 of them out and used a Whirlpool WRT 111 model although only about 11 cf, we could put way more stuff in it than the Norcold. On my current Windsor I opted to use the French door Fisher Paykel W25"xD27.38"xH67.5" I had to lower the platform down to 1'' above the furnace then it is almost an exact fit. It is a bit more costly than other models but hey we can't take it with us when we die so might as well enjoy
That sounds like it's a pretty small fridge (the Whirlpool). I do have an atwood furnace under the Norcold. With a fridge that small, is it possible to get it through the front door...and.....is it much easier to install then, let's say, custom fitting a Samsung ?

Old 01-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I believe the Atwood furnace requires clearance from combustible material, you'll have to check the installation manual to see what is required. This will determine how much you can lower the shelf and allow for a taller refrigerator.

Once you figure out what kind of clearance you may have go to AJ Madison and do a search using that criteria.

There is no way we could have gone with a smaller refrigerator. One way or another I was going to make a larger residential fit.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Height is the biggest problem at only 65”
Old 01-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice!!

That sounds like it's a pretty small fridge (the Whirlpool). I do have an atwood furnace under the Norcold. With a fridge that small, is it possible to get it through the front door...and.....is it much easier to install then, let's say, custom fitting a Samsung ?
Yes Bob the Whirlpool fit through the door with no problem and it really holds a lot of stuff way more than the 4 door Norcold, the box size is actually 11.6 cf . I can't give any information on installing a Samsung. But for me the F&P was easier to install than the Whirlpool, more trim work required on the Whirlpool. F&P was almost a perfect fit except for the height. As I said in previous post all I had to do was drop the platform down to within an inch of the furnace and cap the gas line. I did have the LOWES delivery guys bring the FP through a window, I got a bit nervous when they were trying to bring it in the door although it would have fit, I was afraid they were going to either tear or bend something. Good luck with whatever brand of residential you install. I don't think you will regret going that route.
mlh2013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I made detailed measurements both before and after.
The Samsung RF18 went through the front door as long as the refrigerator doors are removed, the passenger seat removed, and the front door is tied back to the mirror.

The Norcold Spec sheet says it is 63.5” tall (my cabinet cutout was 65”) and the Samsung RF18 is 70.5” tall (the spec sheet says 70 13/16” but mine measures 70 ˝” with the front height adjusters removed). The Norcold is 32.4” wide (without trim) and the Samsung is 32.25” wide. The Norcold is 24” deep and the Samsung is 24 5/16” (without doors/handles). So my task was to make an extra 5 ˝” of height available in the refrigerator cabinet opening.

If you want to retain your furnace, then you need to make some choices. Either you make a new floor out of steel or aluminum and install it right on top of the furnace, or you move the furnace. You will also need to trim some wood from the top.

There is another model residential refrigerator available that is slightly shorter and folks are saying good things about it.

Link to my install with pictures.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sams...re-356096.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:13 AM   #14

17qf Fisher and Paykel is 67-17/32" high. If you remove the wheels and leveling feet, which you will, it'll be about 1/2" shorter. Width is 31-3/32" which leaves about 3/4" on each side of the Norcold cut-out and it's depth is 27-3/8 so it's overall more compact than the Samsung. 1qf less storage, but $1000 bigger price tag. Ouch!

I have a different motorhome but was able to get it in the door after removing the passenger seat, and the door closure arm do the door would swing father open. Only took a few minutes to remove the doors from the new refer to get it inside.

astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge