Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From DSS?

I've had to do some changes to my entertainment system (swapped switching centers, etc) and am left with a cable marked "from DSS". All features work on the front TV (Sat, Air Ant, DVD, assume cable). Any suggestions? Thanks!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DSS =- Digital Satellite System

We still, occasionally, get the odd question "Now that all the satellite services have switched to digital......"

Fact is. they have been digital since day one.

Some (mine) just says "SAT IN" much easier to understand, but DSS is way more precise.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for explaining what it stands for-now if I could just figure what to do with it. The Sat works fine with the "from DSS" just hanging loose in the cabinet.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FWIW,
Most "standard definition" satellite dishes have two coax outputs at the base of the roof dish. On my rig, Monaco decided to provide only one coax down-lead. Perhaps you have two, thus you have one dangling loose & unused. One way to confirm this is to climb onto the roof and identify the coax (or two coaxes) that are connected to your sat dish now.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wannabe.....If you had your sat professionally installed, they often run their own coax and don't use the one provided by Monaco. The one you have hanging probably runs to the roof where its stubbed off for a dish.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
After Market Satellite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
Thanks for explaining what it stands for-now if I could just figure what to do with it. The Sat works fine with the "from DSS" just hanging loose in the cabinet.
It could be that your current satellite is an aftermarket installation. My Windsor had the Monaco designated "DSS" option as shown on the MSRP window sticker. What that included, among other things, was an extra cable between the satellite decoder box (IRD) and the antenna (satellite dish) controller.

It was part of a feedback loop that made dish pointing completely automatic. i.e. it enabled a signal to be sent from the IRD to tell the dish controller that the correct satellite had been locked on to. All you had to do was power up the system, push the "view" button on the antenna controller and in a few moments, bingo!, satellite service was on your TV screen. Too cool.

Unfortunately, that particular IRD did not have the DVR or TiVo capability and we had to replace it. So now when the "view" button is pushed the system stops looking as soon as any satellite is found and if it's not the satellite you want then you have to goose it to move on to the next satellite by momentarily rocking the switch from "view" to "stow" and back again.

I would not be surprised to learn that the current dish pointing systems have their own circuitry to figure out what satellite to lock on to based on parameters entered when it was installed. That would make the feedback loop cable unnecessary.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
if the extra cables are red and white (audio) they may go to the video in if you have a bose box
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote