Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Front AC leaks when it rains now?

Had the RV out of the barn yesterday. I had to run an errand with it so I took it to work. I parked it in a nearby parking lot which is pretty flat. It rained quite a bit yesterday while parked. I noticed when I got in the coach that the tile floor below the front AC return was wet and saw some water dripping out the vent? I did remove the AC cover and cleaned out the coil about 2 months ago but other than that the area has been untouched and I have never had a leak after that cleaning. I did have the coach parked on a steep slope for about 15 minutes yesterday during one good downpour. I've driven through rain with it and never had an issue with water leaking in. I'm wondering if the slope played a role and maybe I've got a bad gasket under the unit. This particular AC unit is on the short list of things to fix. It does not do nearly as good a job blowing cold air as the rear unit does.

Any thoughts on how I developed a water leak or what is going on here are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Eric
Arbogaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
first thing I'd do is take the inside cover off and SNUG (NOT tighten) the four screws that pull the top unit down onto the roof
Old 06-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #3

Good morning Eric; Yep, nothing new. Just like JohnBoyToo mentioned. Check the 4 bolts that hold the A/C to the roof. They also compress the gasket between the A/C unit and the roof. We both have the drains on our Windsor's so the gasket is doubled to handle the drain tube. If you look in the owners manual for the Dometic's , it says check bolt torque one a year. I think it is 40 to 50 inch pounds. I had both mine leak this year when I got the usually rainy weather here in Wa. state. Made about 1 to 2 revolutions on the bolts evenly and no more leak. Sometimes you never have to touch the bolts and sometimes after a year of heavy A/C use, they need to be snugged up. Hope this info helps. I think the bolts have 3/8" heads.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
first thing I'd do is take the inside cover off and SNUG (NOT tighten) the four screws that pull the top unit down onto the roof

I agree!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Agree with all that's been said.
But if that does not solve the problem, check the plastic heat pump cover / shroud.

We've had a leak that was stopped by snugging up the mounting bolts and two more leaks from cracks in the shrouds. The different thing about the shroud cracks was that they would leak only when it rained hard and we were standing still. Rain while going down the road would not cause leaking.

The shroud fix has held up for a couple of years but one just cracked again after being brushed by a low tree branch. I've obtained new shrouds and am in the process of replacing the old ones. The newer ones are more streamlined and I think will be less prone to failing as a result of being struck by tree branches.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The hold down bolts on the AC will loosen over time what i did when my ac leaked is back off all the way for around 5 or 6 hrs to let the seal relax then i put blue loctight on hold down screws and tighten 40 to 45 INCH pounds, no more vibrating loose.
Note this was the info i got from the AC tec.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Great stuff guys. It all makes total sense. Luckily she is in the barn now so I don't have to rush out and torque the bolts. Sounds like a GREAT Sunday morning first cup of coffee project for the weekend.

Cheers!

Eric
Arbogaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks