Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Front cap to roof joint

I cant positively see where the two join on this new coach .
There's a transition from smooth painted glass (black in my case), to white textured glass, about 5' back from the windsheild, but unlike my last coach, theres no raised seam with screwed strip, covering a joint.
Is this the joint?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I cant positively see where the two join on this new coach .
There's a transition from smooth painted glass (black in my case), to white textured glass, about 5' back from the windsheild, but unlike my last coach, theres no raised seam with screwed strip, covering a joint.
Is this the joint?
96 Wideglide
The "front cap to roof joint" is where the smooth fiberglass cap meets the textured fiberglass roof....(guess where the rear cap to roof joint is).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #3

Kinda what I thought Mel.
So, they dont seal this seam in any way from the factory ?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco repaired many 2007 & 2008 Scepter/Camelots, including mine, at the seam between the cap and roof. A hairline crack will develop at this seam and run over the radius down the side upper moulding. This happens at both the front and rear caps/roof and the hairline would continue to grow to a sizable gap.

They would grind out the seam, feather edge it back a ways, and fiberglass the roof to the cap. Thent hey would Bondo, sand, prime and paint to match. From what I heard, Monaco used only a filler and not fiberglass. But, again, this is hearsay as how they attached the parts.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Monaco repaired many 2007 & 2008 Scepter/Camelots, including mine, at the seam between the cap and roof. A hairline crack will develop at this seam and run over the radius down the side upper moulding. This happens at both the front and rear caps/roof and the hairline would continue to grow to a sizable gap.

They would grind out the seam, feather edge it back a ways, and fiberglass the roof to the cap. Thent hey would Bondo, sand, prime and paint to match. From what I heard, Monaco used only a filler and not fiberglass. But, again, this is hearsay as how they attached the parts.
96 Wideglide
Since your HR is really a Monaco, (with a HR title), the roof seams are probably the same as Happycarz' roof seams and may need to be taped with Eternabond.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:04 AM   #6

Yep Mel, it's almost exactly the same.
I'm battling a leak running down the passenger window, but it's not the window. It's coming from somewhere on the roof.
I flooded that seem today, and could'nt get it to leak at the inside bottom of the window. Later, poured water over the Hadley's, and got leaking. Sealed up the Hadley's good, tonite it's raining, and the leak is still there !
Old 03-25-2015, 02:54 AM   #7

Harry, I dont think mine has seen any of the extra fixes from Coberg.
I think it crossed the border to Canada after it was built, and it's never been back!
I was passing thru that area last month, and got new steer tires installed at Les Shwab in Junction City . I think she cried a bit as she passed by her birthplace
Old 03-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #8

Front cap to roof joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yep Mel, it's almost exactly the same.
I'm battling a leak running down the passenger window, but it's not the window. It's coming from somewhere on the roof.
I flooded that seem today, and could'nt get it to leak at the inside bottom of the window. Later, poured water over the Hadley's, and got leaking. Sealed up the Hadley's good, tonite it's raining, and the leak is still there !
Check the winegard crank-up tv antenna. I found that it had been caulked at the factory in the "down" position and there was no caulk under the arm. The water got in there and traveled some 3 or 4 feet before it showed up at the drivers side window.

Dick L. '04 HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Both mine and my friend's 08 Scepter had a roof leak at the front of the patio awning attaching flange on the roof. Climb up on the roof and locate the metal flange that attaches to the roof with a million screws. This works loose and water enters coach and runs horizontally until it drips inside. My buddy's was by the pass window. Mine was by the windshield. Both leaks were coming from same entry point.

Scrape the Dicor away from the flange for the first 3 feet. Remove the screws, clean with som MEK, if you can find it. Or, use another suitable solvent. Roof must be dry and oil free for the Dicor to seal. You may find some of the attaching screws pulled loose. Use either larger screws or drill new locations. Before screwing back down, caulk with Dicor between the flange and roof. Then screw the flange down. You should be able to see the caulking squish out as you tighten. Just don't over tighten and strip the hole in the fiberglass roof. Finally, coat the top of the flange where the screws are and also fill in the leading edge toward the front.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #10

That was the first place I looked at, and that seem did have some cracking of the Dicor. Makes sence since last month my awning blew out, traveling into high headwinds. Thought I'd resealed it pretty good, but I guess I should remove all the old, and get some fresh under the flange like you did.
Thanks.

Tags
front cap, roof