RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Front end shaking during hard braking

If I hit the service brakes hard at a yellow light the dash shakes somewhat violently and as it comes to a stop the wheel may jerk left a bit.
Seems to happen when it hasnít been driven in a while??
Drums out of round? Something else?
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you have disc's on the front?
Old 04-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
How hard are you hitting them? ABS activating?
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a drum or rotor is warped pretty bad. Regardless of the reason you should get it to a service facility pronto.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Do you have disc's on the front?

Sorry. Drum brakes. Going to josams tomorrow. I thought I read Monaco had bad wheels at one time. Mine is a 2001.
Could be abs. Feels like that.
I did get a abs warning light yesterday when I started it to move it.
The abs error cleared when I restarted it.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Let us know what they find.

Could be rust build up in the drum. You get ridges caused by little rust build up where the shoe's have been sitting not rusting as much as the rest of the drum.

Just experienced this with my front disc's after sitting a few months.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Did this just happen after sitting for some time? If so how far did you drive it?
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #8

Good morning Jeff; I have an 01 Windsor. I think our front axle and drum brakes are the same. A lot of humidity in Florida as here in Washington state. After parking the coach it takes very little time for rust to start forming on the drums. Mine coach shutters and shakes some by just applying the brakes backing out of the driveway after the coach has been sitting for a while. It takes quite a few applications of the brakes to get all the rust off the drum surface. This to me is compounded some by the fact that I use the exhaust brake on all my stops so it even takes longer to get all that rust removed before I have nice quiet smooth stops. So this could be some of what you are experiencing. If your ABS kicked in on the hard stop you made along with a possible rust build up I could see the situation you have described. Did you drive for a while with more brake applications had the same results? Just curious.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #9

Failing wheel bearings.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #10

I'll take response #9 ........Being that you say the steering wheel pulls in the stopping process also.

If like a light duty truck or car and it should be the bearings will be tapered roller bearings ..... raise the wheel off the ground then grab the wheel with both hand 180 deg from one another and try and shake wiggle the tire/wheel up & down and side to side ( this might require a friend to grab one side of the wheel and him the other and shake/wiggle due to the size ) if it moves start there with the wheel bearings ...because it should not move ...at all.

If the wheel/tire combo moves at all in the process and your not sure what is causing at that point? I would seek out a professional to diagnose it and repair it being steering and brakes are paramount.

Happy Trails and keep us posted
Old 04-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
I'll take response #9 ........Being that you say the steering wheel pulls in the stopping process also.

If like a light duty truck or car and it should be the bearings will be tapered roller bearings ..... raise the wheel off the ground then grab the wheel with both hand 180 deg from one another and try and shake wiggle the tire/wheel up & down and side to side ( this might require a friend to grab one side of the wheel and him the other and shake/wiggle due to the size ) if it moves start there with the wheel bearings ...because it should not move ...at all.

If the wheel/tire combo moves at all in the process and your not sure what is causing at that point? I would seek out a professional to diagnose it and repair it being steering and brakes are paramount.

Happy Trails and keep us posted

Will check the bearings. It had been sitting for awhile and at the time I was having an issue with the pac brake switch (fixed with deoxit) so I was using the service brake without the exhaust brake coming to a yellow light. Dash shuddered. Didnít feel like it was a hard enough braking for abs to kick in.

I Will let you know what I find out at Josams. Hey If you have any frame issues,need a three axle alignment ,ride height, individual wheel weights etc Josams is an outstanding shop in Orlando (world renowned) and could use some work as truckers are trucking full time. Great shop.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Failing wheel bearings.
I just took mine in for the front bearings to be packed last week. Thought I was just getting them packed because I had no maintenance showing they had been done. (bought the coach in mid 17) Well it ended up being new bearings and races. They where dry and dark blue...Straight Line in Mesa, AZ said they should be good for 50 to 60,000. The coach only has 62 on it so I will go with 45 the next time. the coach did sit for I don't know how long before I bought it.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
I just took mine in for the front bearings to be packed last week. Thought I was just getting them packed because I had no maintenance showing they had been done. (bought the coach in mid 17) Well it ended up being new bearings and races. They where dry and dark blue...Straight Line in Mesa, AZ said they should be good for 50 to 60,000. The coach only has 62 on it so I will go with 45 the next time. the coach did sit for I don't know how long before I bought it.

Hmmm
Mine has 110,000 on it. As far as I know the bearings have never been touched.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #14

Brake Adjustment? Liner wear?