Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Front Roof Air Blowing Hot

I have a 2006 Monaco Dynasty Dimond IV that I just purchased. Three days after the purchase, the front rooftop air started blowing hot instead of cold. I turned it off and then turned it back on and it did the same thing. What are your thoughts, needs a freon charge or do I need to replace entire unit?
PDPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If the AC is also a "heat pump", there is a reversing valve that is in the circuit. The default position is for heat pump but when you turn on the AC it reverses for cold air.

This is a solenoid type valve, and the magnet portion of it can be replaced.

This happened to me and when I checked it I actually found the the wires going to had contacted the hot copper tubing and melted/grounded the wire. Fixed the wire and it fixed the AC.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:50 PM   #3

The last thing y9u want someone to do is check the refrigerant! There isn’t a way to do so on these 7 it’s (assuming no one has “tapped it” before, which is just as bad (taps leak).

95-98% of “not cooling” issues on these units is typically electrical. Turn the power off, get a Phillips and slotted screwdrivers, and a 1/4” and 5/16” nut drivers, and your phone - go up on the roof, remove the shroud.
Look for where all the wires from the fan and compressor enter into a box which will usually have a warning label on it.
Remove the cover from that box. Take several pictures from different angles of the wiring and components inside the box. Inspect all the wiring for signs of burned wires or burned electrical components.
If you are capable, make any needed wiring repairs and replace failed components.

Let us know what you find.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:54 PM   #4

You say it's blowing hot, is that hot or just not cool?

Can you tell if the compressor is coming on?

I'm pretty sure you have a heat pump, so hopefully, it is the magnet coil
that Jim mentioned.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:24 PM   #5

Your positive thermostat is on AC right. See if cold is blowing out on roof through condenser, it wont be as cold as if it was through evaporator . That will tell you it's the reversing valve and it's stuck on heat pump. I've heard a couple light taps from screwdriver handle can free it up. But that's usually after AC has been dormant for a long while.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Your positive thermostat is on AC right. See if cold is blowing out on roof through condenser, it wont be as cold as if it was through evaporator . That will tell you it's the reversing valve and it's stuck on heat pump. I've heard a couple light taps from screwdriver handle can free it up. But that's usually after AC has been dormant for a long while.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
The last thing y9u want someone to do is check the refrigerant! There isn’t a way to do so on these 7 it’s (assuming no one has “tapped it” before, which is just as bad (taps leak).

95-98% of “not cooling” issues on these units is typically electrical. Turn the power off, get a Phillips and slotted screwdrivers, and a 1/4” and 5/16” nut drivers, and your phone - go up on the roof, remove the shroud.
Look for where all the wires from the fan and compressor enter into a box which will usually have a warning label on it.
Remove the cover from that box. Take several pictures from different angles of the wiring and components inside the box. Inspect all the wiring for signs of burned wires or burned electrical components.
If you are capable, make any needed wiring repairs and replace failed components.

Let us know what you find.
[QOUTE] Comment: Thanks so much for helping me here with this issue. I just got it back from being serviced at Cummins and when I got back, I pluged her in and started the air. The front air blew cold for about 10 minutes then really hot. I\'ll let you know what I fin
[/QOUTE]

Based on the Comment (above) you sent via your Thank You PM, I’d be looking at a wiring issue (terminations that get hot and disconnect) or possibly the evaporator temperature sensor (if it has one) having an issue.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:06 PM   #8

It may have a freezestat but would explain going to very hot like heat. It would be more like the thermostat is made and fan continues. It would slowly go to ambient temp.,if roof ceiling temp is hot I guess it could get warmish after a while.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have experienced this exact problem. I would nearly guarantee it is the reversing solenoid. Is an inexpensive easy repair.
Harleytoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:01 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with Harleytoter
HR Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, roof