RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #1

Front shock absorbers

Oh boy there is frost on the pumpkin this morning, Goooooood Morning everyone, hope you are all safe and well this AM.
So I have a question concerning front shock absorbers, I know that the best of the best shocks are probably Bilistiens, how ever im looking for a acceptable plan B, call me cheap, thrifty, frugal or ????
But, I was at my local parts house, they have a listing for Monoro shocks, they list for $85.Ea and aside from the price has anyone used such a shock and have they felt like they were worth the effort. I understand the size of the piston and rod have a lot to do with the handling and I intend to do some more home work related to them, however at this point im just looking for some honest feed back. I have yet to consider the rear shocks, cause for now I want to focus on the handling related to up front. Have a Happy Sunday
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #2

Please tell us what chassis you have.

Comments on shocks on a Workhorse W chassis will not assist you if you have a Ford F53 chassis.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Hmmm, I really like the 26 year old Koni adjustable shocks on my 11,360 lb capable front axle....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

Hi ricadoo

In my humble opinion, it all depends what you are looking for, and what you aim to archive.

If your coach has got the original shocks ( could be Monroe's) on the front, I can guarantee you that yours are shot, and ready for a replacement, and your are bound to feel the effect when these are changed.

If your are looking for more stability when steering, or feel the effect of your coach drifting sideways in the wind or have "white knuckles" when trucks are passing, then you need to look for different modifications. There are multiple improvement that will seriously change the ease of driving your rig for the better, but in general, these are not what I would consider to be cheap. My favourite improvements goes under the category "free", followed closely by the ones that are "cheap", and what I have just suggested does not belong in any of these categories.

Good luck and stay safe

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have not found a cross reference for the Bilsteins for my 2008 Endeavor. If I took one to a parts store they probably could come up with one based on the old one.

I installed Bilsteins around 17K miles. The Monroes were mostly all shot. All eight of them.

The Bilsteins made a nice difference in the big whale but were not the final answer on white knuckle driving. There are two threads on the issue and how to solve that. Could be as simple as an adjustment on the steering box or replacing it with one from TRW.

I have sway bars, new shocks (I believe worn out after 30K miles), and all of the Source Engineering add ons. Even check valves in the air bag system. Watts links and cross bars. Handles great now and no trucks scare me by passing. Heck, a VW used to scare me when they passed and came back in close.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikadoo View Post
Oh boy there is frost on the pumpkin this morning, Goooooood Morning everyone, hope you are all safe and well this AM.
So I have a question concerning front shock absorbers, I know that the best of the best shocks are probably Bilistiens, how ever im looking for a acceptable plan B, call me cheap, thrifty, frugal or ????
But, I was at my local parts house, they have a listing for Monoro shocks, they list for $85.Ea and aside from the price has anyone used such a shock and have they felt like they were worth the effort. I understand the size of the piston and rod have a lot to do with the handling and I intend to do some more home work related to them, however at this point im just looking for some honest feed back. I have yet to consider the rear shocks, cause for now I want to focus on the handling related to up front. Have a Happy Sunday
Tell us the symptoms your dealing with? Your shocks are probably shot if they are original, but they may not solve your problem.

Reason I'm asking is you referred to "handling". It may be something other than shocks.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #7

Shocks stop rebound.

If bad, you will feel the springs bouncing up and down a few times, after going slowly over a speed bump.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
i used kyb on my class c and i am very happy....
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Ah, the third rail of motorhomes.

The biggest problem with shocks is folks expectation of what they will do.

THEY DO NOT IMPROVE HANDLING.

Shocks are incorrectly named and should be called dampers because that is what they do. THEY DO NOT ABSORB SHOCK, in fact they can transmit shock from a wheel impact to the frame depending on how they are valued. If your coach is bouncing up and down for a prolonged period after hitting something like a bridge expansion joint then you need new shocks. The Monroe shocks will work fine for this but will only last about 15K miles before they need to be replaced again. If you go to a shock that is stiff you will reduce the so called Walmart roll when entering or exiting a driveway and they can help with buffeting side wind. The problem with stiff shocks is that they will transmit more road shock to the frame and will make the ride harsh. Its a trade off.

If you have a newer coach with IFS on the front then you probably don't worry about ride on the front axle. We have a straight axle on the front and the ride can be very harsh if everything is not up to par. I have owned this coach for 13 years and have tried many things to improve the ride up front. We have tried a number of shocks. The original Monroes were shot when we purchased the coach with 12K miles on it. We replaced them with Koni FSD shocks at a significant cost but the improvement was significant. At about 75K the ride seemed to be going down hill so we sprang for the very expensive Custom Tuned Bilstein shock for the front. That was a huge mistake and I should have known it when putting them on because they were very stiff in both directions and not FSD shocks. This was just before our trip to Alaska and the roads in the Yukon would jar your teeth out. The first thing I did when we got back home was to replace the shocks with Monroe's and the ride was like heaven after the super stiff Bilstein's.

I kept the Koni FDS shocks that I had removed from the front because they have a life time warranty to the original owner. About two months ago I decided to see if Koni would actually stand behind their warranty and followed the instructions for sending the shocks back for testing. To my surprise they sent me four new shocks and all it cost me was a one way shipping charge. Even though the coach was riding about as good as I would expect, last month I decided to try the new Koni's and swapped them for the Monroe's. The ride was slightly improved over the Monroe's so based on my experience with our coach I would recommend the Koni FSD shocks. I know others will disagree but that's OK.

Just remember that shocks have absolutely no affect on straight line handling and if you are replacing shocks because your coach is wandering then you will be disappointed. In fact when the coach is traveling down a smooth road the shocks are not doing anything unless you get passed by a truck or buffeted by wind.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Im with Bob on this one. The following is my experience with shock absorbers.

The OE Monroes were terrible going over rolling curb on a diagonal unless I slowly crept one wheel at a time.

At 14,000 miles, the Koni's resolved that issue and made road seams and rebound so much better. With the Koni's, until the shock oil got heated up, road seams felt like I had 130 lbs in the tires. But in 3-5 miles all was good. No issues with rolling curbs.

At 65,000 miles, I replaced the Koni's with the Bilsteins, as I was getting excessive extension over bumps. The reason for Bilsteins was that Motorhome Magazine did a comparison test with 4 different brand shocks on the same coach and drove the coach on same test loop. They noted very little difference between the Koni and Bilsteins shocks. Wanting to save a few dollars, I went with the Comfort Bilsteins. Maybe the test driver wasn't driving his own coach as the test coach, maybe he couldnt feel the nuances between the Koni's and Bilsteins. Dunno.

At 69,000 miles, I'm back to fighting rolling curbs and to some degree extensions and rebounds. Therefore, back to Koni's. I only had time to put the fronts on before leaving for two weeks. And thought I might get away with leaving the rears alone. Nope. Go over a rolling curb, or similar, with the fronts, no problem. When the rears roll over it, I fear I might unload the cupboards. And as much weight that I have in rear axle, 21,650lbs, I thought no big deal with the Bilsteins. But I can tell big difference when going over bridge joints and rough roads.

2000 miles later I installed the 4 rear Bilsteins with Koni's and the stars are now aligned.

Just my experience. Sorta like Shepard steering boxes, X braces, and watts links. Some people appreciate them while other have no issues with how their coach handles.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:49 PM   #11

I have a Roadmaster suspension and for now I don't "seem" to be having any notable issues, However this is my 1st Diesel pusher. Before this I had a 2000 Hurricane F-53 chassi that rode "LIKE A TRUCK" so even though the tires are not showing any wear I have only got to drive mine maybe 2K miles so far, the handling compared to my old F-53 is like driving a Cadillac, my idea is current shocks look original and just thinking I should start looking now before any issues show up.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
these are the fronts for my RR8S Scepter. Top and bottom are both eye mounts as opposed to studs for top.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bilstein-24...W/164146608394
Old 12-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #13

Quote:
rikadoo,
I have a 2006 Camelot 43' with tag axles. It makes you feel every bump in the road and pot hole are scary. 4 of my Munroe have come loose so I have decided to replace them all with Bilsteins (10)I have learned they don't make shocks for this beast and the numbered conversion don't match what's there. Its important to get the RV Shocks designed for the coach so thats what Ive done. The Roadmaster chassis is built specifically for this coach and everything on it is designed to be there, so Ive found out in my literature hunt. The shocks I found are for a Monaco just a different model but the chassis also has its own model which should match yours is likely the RR8R. If you would like more info just message me. Good Luck Jack
goebeltcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:33 AM   #14

Front shocks

I am very pleased with my Bilsteins on my 2004 HR endeavor. A vast improvement in ride and stability.

I only see a $15 difference in price. Not a lot, get what you want

Rv safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs