Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tony was driving the coach down to RV Renovators in Mesa on Monday, to have them replace the cabinetry that is delaminating and that Monaco is replacing at their cost. I was to follow about 15 minutes later, so after he got it checked in, I could bring him back home. Just after I left the house, he called to say that the passenger side front tire had just blown out (exploded). Thank God he was safe, (he is a very, very good driver)... this happened in between concrete barriers on either side of the road and no shoulder. He was able to nurse it far enough along to get to a spot with a bit of a shoulder. The impact of the tire explosion did a lot of damage to the panel over the tire, busted the break line, the step mechanicals, the Vorad radar system on the passenger side, and we're still learning what else. It took going through two tow trucks to get it properly towed to the repair facility. There was no collision or loss of control, again, Thank God, and Tony's driving skills.

Tony had to go back yesterday to look at the new cabinetry and approve it, and there was another coach there (not sure what, but I think it may have been a Monaco, very pretty, and quite new), that had had a front driver's side tire blowout the day after ours, and it rolled and apparently slid on it's driver's side down the road, about $150,000 in damage. I hope it's none of our friends here on the forum, and I hope whoever they are, that they are well and weren't injured. Last weekend we were just behind and to the left of an eighteen wheeler that had two simultaneous driver side blowouts right in front of us, we were very fortunate to avoid the flying chunks of tire, and that the driver was able to control the rig.

There is no legislating for some events (our tire was in good condition and with plenty of wear left on it, Tony checks tire pressure all the time)... but I guess if there is a "take away" thought on this, it would be to always be alert, and hone your driving skills. If a blowout occurs, don't brake (which is contrary to everything you want to do)... try to maintain control and let the coach slow down and get to a safe place. Pretty scary stuff, but we're very thankful that we're safe, and I am again very thankful for Tony's excellent driving skills.

Brenda, of...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Tony was driving the coach down to RV Renovators in Mesa on Monday, to have them replace the cabinetry that is delaminating and that Monaco is replacing at their cost. I was to follow about 15 minutes later, so after he got it checked in, I could bring him back home. Just after I left the house, he called to say that the passenger side front tire had just blown out (exploded). Thank God he was safe, (he is a very, very good driver)... this happened in between concrete barriers on either side of the road and no shoulder. He was able to nurse it far enough along to get to a spot with a bit of a shoulder. The impact of the tire explosion did a lot of damage to the panel over the tire, busted the break line, the step mechanicals, the Vorad radar system on the passenger side, and we're still learning what else. It took going through two tow trucks to get it properly towed to the repair facility. There was no collision or loss of control, again, Thank God, and Tony's driving skills.

Tony had to go back yesterday to look at the new cabinetry and approve it, and there was another coach there (not sure what, but I think it may have been a Monaco, very pretty, and quite new), that had had a front driver's side tire blowout the day after ours, and it rolled and apparently slid on it's driver's side down the road, about $150,000 in damage. I hope it's none of our friends here on the forum, and I hope whoever they are, that they are well and weren't injured. Last weekend we were just behind and to the left of an eighteen wheeler that had two simultaneous driver side blowouts right in front of us, we were very fortunate to avoid the flying chunks of tire, and that the driver was able to control the rig.

There is no legislating for some events (our tire was in good condition and with plenty of wear left on it, Tony checks tire pressure all the time)... but I guess if there is a "take away" thought on this, it would be to always be alert, and hone your driving skills. If a blowout occurs, don't brake (which is contrary to everything you want to do)... try to maintain control and let the coach slow down and get to a safe place. Pretty scary stuff, but we're very thankful that we're safe, and I am again very thankful for Tony's excellent driving skills.

Brenda, of...
Old 04-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank goodness Tony handled it well and no one was harmed. A lesson to always be alert, even when close to home. Hope your repairs go well.
FishBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Brenda...Geez...the only positive thing I can say (you know me -half full..not half empty )is that you knew you would be without the coach because of the cabinetry work. I am glad no one as hurt and that the damage was nowhere near as bad as it could have been.
Tell Tony...good going... and good luck getting everything taken care of in a timely manner!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
Retired Senior Member

Wow! Close call with a (semi) happy ending. Like Mama, I had a thought along the lines of "at least you guys weren't on vacation in OuterNowhere when this happened".

This episode sure makes me reconsider locking the cruise and dashing back to the fridge for a bottle of water while driving, even on a nice straight road.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I second the other comments that we're glad everything turned out as well as it did. Sure happy y'all are safe.

Blowouts can be an awesome thing, like riding a monster that suddenly has a mind of its own. As you said, it's a reminder to us all to keep things in good condition, check often, and stay alert.

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fantastic job keeping it between the pile ons Tony!!!
Those things scare me to death without a blowout! Your angel was on the job, and here's a salute to Him.
Every so often my wife will throw out the question to me while I'm driving, " what do you do when you have a blowout"? My answer is to "speed up and hold the wheel straight, and then slowly slow down". We learned this in the driving safety class at the FMCA ralley at Indio CA. You really do learn stuff there.

Great Job and we'll be thinking of you two.

Tom and Jo
Old 04-27-2008, 06:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you two are ok....nice driving. Is there anyway to figure out what caused the blowout? Your tires are not that old.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holy Smoke, Brenda! I'm glad Tony is okay and thank God that he has driving skills to handle a blowout like this. Front tire blowouts can be most catastrophic, and apparently, quite costly.
Thanks for sharing.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #10

Glad no one was hurt. A good reminder to all of us to check tires and presure often. Thankfully I check mine daily. Just last summer on my 2005 coach bought new I caught two tires gone bad before having a blowout. On a pre-trip inspection I found front pass tire with a huge bulge on side wall. Two months later found rear outside duel with bad separation in the tread. Goodyear replaced both no charge, but sure glad I caught them when I did. I have always been careful about checking tires. I think it comes from having ridden motorcycles all my life and having a few blowouts on them. Thats another wild ride. No such thing as checking tires to often.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #11

Brenda, can you tell us how old the tires were.

I just replaced my front tires (22.5 inch wheel) with Michelin XZ and I am considering buy new tires for the rear...the tread is great but the tires are 6 years old. The rule of thumb is that RV tires regardless of tread should be replace after 5-6 years.

Thus, curious on the age of your tires. HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks so much for all your good wishes and thoughts. I'm always thankful that Tony is my Captain... he is a retired Royal Air Force Pilot and as most of you know, Motorcycle instructor. He stays very calm (unlike me...)! The coach is an '06, so the original tires haven't been changed out yet, we have 30,000 miles on the coach. Lots of tread left.

becks, being bikers ourselves, we agree completely, you can't check tires too often. Tony caught a crack in one of our tires on the Harley just before we were about to set off on a ride of fast switchbacks and curves in Jerome, AZ... got the tire replaced first!

Monaco Mama... NICE NEW LICENSE PLATE! Oh, and we just returned from a trip last weekend out to California, got home Sunday, blowout happened Monday. Again, I'm very thankful.

Brenda, of...
Old 04-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
It may not have anything to do with the condition of the tire. A piece of metal fell off a truck that was running beside me on the insterstate a few years back (diesel truck and 5th wheel then) and the right front tire went flat in 10 seconds. The metal ripped a big gash in the sidewall. Since Tony was running between the barriers there may have been some debri in the road.

Sure glad Tony and the coach are safe.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bsavage:
Thanks so much for all your good wishes and thoughts. I'm always thankful that Tony is my Captain... he is a retired Royal Air Force Pilot and as most of you know, Motorcycle instructor. He stays very calm (unlike me...)! The coach is an '06, so the original tires haven't been changed out yet, we have 30,000 miles on the coach. Lots of tread left.

becks, being bikers ourselves, we agree completely, you can't check tires too often. Tony caught a crack in one of our tires on the Harley just before we were about to set off on a ride of fast switchbacks and curves in Jerome, AZ... got the tire replaced first!

Monaco Mama... NICE NEW LICENSE PLATE! Oh, and we just returned from a trip last weekend out to California, got home Sunday, blowout happened Monday. Again, I'm very thankful.

Brenda, of... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Brenda,

I am so relieved to hear all is ok with Tony after that Blowout! Good thing he has such great driving skills.

This is MY biggest fear so I make Jeffrey check those tires over and over!

Glad Tony is ok!
mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote