Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Front TV Cabinet Support

In a 2001 Diplomat, what holds up the front TV cabinet? There is a substantial gap between the cabinetry and the ceiling material in my coach. The screw in the picture no longer grips anything when screwed in. It's the same on the left and right sides.

Can additional screws be installed fore and aft of the existing screws in that block of wood stapled to the cabinet wall? I've thought of using some strapping to pull it up to the box tube frame rib. But the gap is larger than the space available between the plastic appliance boxes and the box tube rib.

It looks as though the ceiling is pulled down as much as the cabinet is pulled up to close the gap.

In any case does anyone know what is in the ceiling that would support a screw(s) in solid enough fashion to close that gap?

The dings in the edges of the opening are not as unsightly as they look since the wood bezel that holds the TV in place covers them up. Yes, I know. I'm supposed to put a flat panel TV in here, but first things first. The Koni FSD's, the tires, the list goes on.

Thanks,

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How about strapping the cabinet up to the steel box tube frame. It could be easily done with plumbers tape on both sides of the cabinet or you could use a turnbuckle rather than the plumbers tape.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Nope, staples will not work. There is an aluminum plate above the ceiling that the screws go into. Use an ice pick and find another place where you can run the screw. The plate does not come all the way across from side, it is sort of U shaped. That attachment and the screws that go into the cabinets on either side are all that holds it up. I rebuilt my cabinet and shortened it to eliminate hitting my head on the darn thing coming in the door. Also installed an LCD TV. I have a write-up on what I did if you are interested. Drop me a line rbdtanasi @ yahoo dot com and I will be glad to send it to you.

You should also have screws in the front piece going from side to side and they may be either in a hole drilled through the board, or in small pieces stapled to the back of that board. They also go into the plate.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #4

Thanks guys, for the suggestions. Here's another picture for clarification.

Chuck - good idea except when I tried that the rib sagged down to the point where the plastic compartments that hold the video stuff hit the bottom of the rib before the gap was closed. This was due to the box tubing springing downward as weight was applied. I do like the idea of turnbuckles and may use them if I can get something anchored into that aluminum plate that Rex is referring to.

Rex - sure, I'd love to see your write up. You can send it to northolypen at hotmail dot com

In the original post I was not suggesting stapling the cabinet to the roof. It was an attempt to describe what I've labeled as a cleat in this photo.

How thick is the aluminum plate you mentioned? Is the bottom of the "U" facing forward or facing aft? Or is it oriented opposite to the box tube rib as an upright "U" with the legs fastened to the roof or cage framework? (You had mentioned that it does not go out to the sides.)

Assuming that Monaco originally put the screws that have now pulled out into the aluminum plate, could the holes in the cleats be enlarged and replaced with larger screws? As well as adding extra screws too.

How long a screw can I use before touching the roof?

Thanks,

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 07-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Dave you should be able to use larger screws. The plate is around 1/8 or a bit less so there is not much for a screw to hold onto. Don't have any idea how the plate is attached up above the ceiling but it seems to be firm. Where you show the long cabinet screw pulled out, I would just drill another hole in the cleat and move the screw. Just make sure the hole in the plate is small so the screw can catch. I would also drill the hole in the cleat large enough that the screw will slip through it rather than having it screw into the cleat like Monaco did. Put a couple of screws in the cleat rather than just one.

I will send my write-up and it has some pictures. Hope it helps. The plate is about even with the black line in your picture that is closest to the front of the cabinet face. It does not go all the way across in that area however. In the pictures of mine you will see a wood plate in the ceiling with a couple of holes not filled. The other holes have wood buttons or screws you can see. Those with no buttons or screws do not have the aluminum plate above them. I thought it was there when I drilled the hole but it wasn't.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may not like dealing with insulation that I see in the picture but can you get your hand up and behind that opeing and feel around? You may get a better feeling of how it is structured up there. As far as the srew length, the one screw in the picture going thru the cleat appears to be pretty long and if hasn't penetrated the roof I would assume you could use one at least that long. Possible trying a heavier screw might do the trick as well. Can't tell the size of the screws you have but say if they're a #8 you might try to up to a #10 in the same length.
On that front trim where you indicate the gap can you also move over an inch or so and drill a new hole? First though try feeling around up there to try and figure out they framed it. JMO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #7

Thanks, Steve. From what Rex has explained I think I have a good idea of where to start feeling around for that plate as you suggest.

Thanks, Rex. Got your write-up. Nice job!

Am headed for the hardware store.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,

The arrangement in my 04 Imp is that the whole thing is suspended from the "box rib". The "rib" on mine is reinforced by a 1/8" angle iron screwed to it and seems to run the width of the coach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02241.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	4722
The two angle brackets shown only hold up the TV cabinet side panels.

The whole cabinet arrangement hangs from the two brackets screwed into the cross member. I'd suggest you look into reinforcing the box rib like Monaco did when they built mine.

Ron
Old 07-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Here's another pix showing how the cabinet side panel is suspended.
Ron

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02268.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	4724
Old 07-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #10

Thanks, Ron. That's a good idea. I'll see if that can be done here.

Dave