RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Front TV Fell Out on Interstate - Unbelievable

This was our third and longest trip in our new to us 2005 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. This was an excellent unit when we bought it a couple of months ago. It had been kept indoors and only had 14,000 miles on the clock. The only thing that didn't work perfectly was the ice maker which we repaired with a new unit from Lowes for only $50. Imagine our surprise, (horror would be more like it), when we were within about 10 miles from home and the front 24" tube type TV fell out in the floor between our seats, hitting me on the right knee. This would have been scary enough except just minuets earlier my wife had picked up our three small puppies (two Maltese and a Mini Dachshund) and put them in her lap. Normally they lay on the floor between our seats. Upon inspection I find that the TV has been simply set in place with no screws whatsoever attaching the TV to the metal mounting frame. This was obviously not the factory installation. You can easilly see where the TV wooden frame had been previously removed by someone, perhaps the previous owner or a technician. The factory support frame (which remained in the cabinet) is very robust and has numerous mounting holes with corresponding holes in the TV along the top and sides. There is evidence the holes had at one point been used but no screws were present and nothing had been ripped out of the TV. This is simply an unbelievable shortcut someone took that almost cost our puppies their lives. I hope some of you guys can help me determine a couple of things:
1. Has this ever happened to any of you?
2. What would you do regarding the dealer, previous owner or technician that worked on the TV.
Obviously this TV (even if it works) will not go back in our motor home. The rear TV is also simply setting in the cabinet with a wooden frame in front. Seems like this TV needs to go also.
Sorry for the long post but I had to tell someone about this that would understand.

Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd suggest just writing it off to bad luck. To go back and try to get money out of previous owner or dealer is a long, hard pull. I'd check to make sure the refrigerator is bolted down. The old CRT TV should be replaced with a high def digital LCD TV anyway. They're lighter, more energy efficient, and have many options for mounting securely.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Look on the bright side. It's out. I nearly got a hernia removing the one from my Ambassador. Thing must have weighted 60 lbs. Now purchase a 32 in. LED that will fit inside the frame and you will be much happier.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
If you subscribe to Motor Home Magazine or Family Motor Coaching Magazine
You can send your information to eather one of them or both send it to "Hot Line" they usually contact the Co. or people in charge and if they can they may be able to have the people that sold you your Motor Home give you some kind of restitution.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So sorry to hear of the incident. Glad it turned out as it did, obviously could have been much worse. I don't think you will have any luck with getting regress from previous owner or technician. I would suggest to move forward with putting a new TV in there and try to put the bad experience behind you. Easier said than done, I know...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Guys for the thoughtful response. The dealer has a good reputation. I feel sure this installation was not their work. I will talk with them tomorrow and let you know what their response is. We do feel fortunate that none of the puppies were injured or worse and my leg will no doubt recover in time.
I tried to include a photo or two but somehow the board will not accept them, even reduced in size to 100K or less. Do you have to have an updated membership to include photos on this forum? Perhaps I don't know the proper procedure.
Thanks again for your input.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try reply #7 at the link below it may be of some help to you
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/forum...ics-49134.html
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks John. Hopefully the photo is attached.
We had stopped at a light on 280 after exiting the freeway when this picture was taken.
Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	39200  
Old 05-20-2013, 04:57 AM   #9

Generally regarded as an inevitable consequence of driving on certain interstates with mile after mile of washboarded and/or badly cracked concrete pavement. Check the screws holding the dash panel in because they are likely to be half way unscrewed as well.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Guess you are lucky it wasn't a overhead front TV.

As Judge Judy would want. Proof it was the past owner, Dealer or tech that caused the problem. That you don't have. Replace it with a new light weight LED HD TV.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Glad everyone is ok. On the bright side it's a reason for getting a new and bigger LED TV.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Guess you are lucky it wasn't a overhead front TV.

As Judge Judy would want. Proof it was the past owner, Dealer or tech that caused the problem. That you don't have. Replace it with a new light weight LED HD TV.
It was the front overhead TV.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure glad nobody was hurt and it does stink that anyone would sell a rig with such a known safety problem.

However, IMO you have nowhere to go with this other than to provide the dealer (if that's who you bought it from?) with feedback on what happened.
In all probability, it was a PO who took these shortcuts and the dealer knew nothing about it. The only possible recourse I could see would be to have the dealer reinstall and secure the set... but you don't want that.

Best of luck.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably a safe guess the previous owner had a flat screen in there and just stuck this original back in the hole so he could keep the newer TV.