Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #1

Front TV - power while ignition is on.

I have a 2011 Monaco Knight and would like to have the front TV powered while driving. Not for me, but for the wife and kids... In my previous MH, I simply move the TV plug to a "dedicated" outlet - bypassing the ignition cutoff outlet.

I do not have a nearby outlet to use (without running an extension cord!). Can I remove a fuse, change wiring, etc. to get power to the TV while the ignition is on? Dealership told me to cut one of the wires between the outlet and the TV - did not sound right to me??

Thanks.
YellowZonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You should be able to cut the 12vdc wires that control the relay for the outlet. Look at the outlet that your TV is plugged into and you should see two sets of wires, one set would be 120vac. The other set should be the 12vdc wires. You can cut the positive lead, tape it up and the TV should now work with the ignition turned on.

Legal Disclaimer: It is illegal in some states to have a TV operating which is in view of the driver while traveling down the road :-)

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not for me but for the wife and kids......

Put a portable BEHIND the driver's seat where there is no way you can see it and move them back to the rear seats... I'm serious.. I do not care if you are looking at it or not, I don't care how much you would have to crane your neck to see it.

Some cop's gonna see it on and decide to explain the law to you.. Or rather to invite you to classes in the Judge's classroom..

Don't do it.

Now, that said, you will find a single wire, likely red, going to the outlet box the TV is plugged into.. that is the interlock.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On our Camelot, I pulled the fuse in the front run bay(front left side bay) --- I think it`s labeled TV cutout -- That was 3 years ago, & have had no trouble with that fuse being pulled -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

why do some people try to police the world???????????????

Let It Go.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have a video cable that goes to my 32" front mounted TV... I plug in my computer to it. There are no laws that I know of that state that I can't have my 32" GPS running :-)

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Perhaps because some of us have been around iRV2 long enough to remember when discussions enabling an illegal activity were not allowed.

Old habits die hard, I suppose.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #8

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I was thinking about buying one of those 102 inch LCD TV's and just replace the front windshield altogether! I could mount a camera in front of the rig and have picture in picture so the family can play games, watch tv or what ever while I watch the road on my side of the screen. When I get bored I could change to full screen.

Just kidding- mine is overhead in the center as well- what a stupid place to put a tv.

Cut the red wire, disconnect battery first.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We`ve had 2 Safari coaches, a 93 & 96, & the TV was the rear vision monitor -- I didn`t disable the TV lockout for me, or anyone else to watch TV while moving -- Check pulling the fuse before you pull out the knife & start cutting wires -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowZonker View Post
I have a 2011 Monaco Knight and would like to have the front TV powered while driving. Not for me, but for the wife and kids... In my previous MH, I simply move the TV plug to a "dedicated" outlet - bypassing the ignition cutoff outlet.

I do not have a nearby outlet to use (without running an extension cord!). Can I remove a fuse, change wiring, etc. to get power to the TV while the ignition is on? Dealership told me to cut one of the wires between the outlet and the TV - did not sound right to me??

Thanks.
I just did this to my 03 monarch when changing the old tubes to flat screens. I removed the entire "safety" receptacle, disconnected the 12v plug and replaced it with a standard 120v receptacle. I did not need to cut anything since I just removed the entire mechanism.
Bitdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Because crime pays.. I should know,, I get paid every month.. Why, Because it was my job to assist the police in fighting crime.. and if it were not for CRIME, the police would not have been needed and thus I'd not have worked there.

I'm a retired police dispatcher... And my Job INCLUDED giving the trooper on the road the section and subsection of law that addresses this very issue.

That is how I know of the law and the fact that tickets HAVE been written.

That said: The decision to violate or not, belongs to the original poster.. I'm just making sure he knows of ONE of the dangers... Would you like me to discuss the OTHER danger.. Civil damages? That's a bit out of my field but if his rig runs into mine with the TV on, I'll ask for at least 2 commas.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Our 04 Imperial has a connector that supplies the 12v to the cutoff relay in the cabinet behind the TV. I use the TV as a rear camera display like my old Safari did. Sre beats the eyestrain of squinting at the dash. I refined that one step furthur and put a 10" flip down display under the cabinet and now have a near-HUD for the rear camera and aladdin.
Ron

Tags
power