Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Hawkeye

I have a 2007 Diplomat. The manual says to clean and re-pack wheel bearings every 30,000 miles or annually. I have 9000 miles on the rig after driving it for a year. It was built in January 2007, so about 1.5 years on current grease. Seems more like a miles issue to me. But, it may be a good idea to do now since it will be the first time. What do you do/recommend?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Hawkeye

I have a 2007 Diplomat. The manual says to clean and re-pack wheel bearings every 30,000 miles or annually. I have 9000 miles on the rig after driving it for a year. It was built in January 2007, so about 1.5 years on current grease. Seems more like a miles issue to me. But, it may be a good idea to do now since it will be the first time. What do you do/recommend?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hawkeye -- I have a 07 Camalot - I had hub oilers installed on mine at 15000 miles -- It don`t cost that much more than a re-pack, & much easier to service -- Other chassis mfg. use oiler`s -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hawkeye
I also had oilers installed at 24,000 miles. The cost of repacking was going to be $150. The cost of the oilers was $300. So, in reality the oilers cost me $150 and I'll be even after the 2 year point.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think Bill Willard hit the nail on the head. Much easier to service. I've made a few calls to some of the local shops around here to change over to oilers and the vast majority of the shops in the East Texas Oil Patch recommend repacking instead of oilers. When asked why, they repond that the chief advantage of oilers is for heavy duty applications and offer little if any advantage for light to medium duty. They agree that they are easier to service but much more prone to seal leakage and brake damage. Most of the shops I talked to recommended synthetic semi-fluid wheel grease which has all the advantages (except service) of oilers without the leakage. I do a lot preventative maint so I'm probably going to go with oilers so the chance of oil leaking on to the brakes will slight. The cost to install oilers is not really a factor, I really dislike hanging around a nasty truck service facility for hours.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi Guy's

Excuse my ignorance - i don't know what "hub oilers" are.

Please explain what they are and why we need them.

Thanks.

The Great Dane

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hub oilers create a fully wet environment for the front wheel bearings. Additionally, they typically have a transparent cover to allow monitoring of the oil level in the bearing cavity and the ability to change the oil. Therefore, the servicing of the bearings is greatly simplified and allows the coach owner to perform the service. Traditional grease packed front wheel bearings require the jacking up of the vehicle, removing the wheel and hub assembly, cleaning the bearings and hub assembly, repacking the bearing ... you get the drift. Not an easy job and also very messy. Way back, when I had more time than money I repacked the wheel bearings but don't think I would attempt it on a MH.
They are not a requirement. It just makes a messy job easier and can save money in that you can perform the periodic oil change yourself. The downside is if you lose a wheel bearing seal and don't catch it soon enough you can soak the brakes with oil. Don't know if that happens often enough to be an issue though. Maybe with vehicles that see extreme service and many miles a year.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sixpack98

Thank you for the explanation

Your new friend

The Great Dane

Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpack98 View Post
I think Bill Willard hit the nail on the head. Much easier to service. I've made a few calls to some of the local shops around here to change over to oilers and the vast majority of the shops in the East Texas Oil Patch recommend repacking instead of oilers. When asked why, they repond that the chief advantage of oilers is for heavy duty applications and offer little if any advantage for light to medium duty. They agree that they are easier to service but much more prone to seal leakage and brake damage. Most of the shops I talked to recommended synthetic semi-fluid wheel grease which has all the advantages (except service) of oilers without the leakage. I do a lot preventative maint so I'm probably going to go with oilers so the chance of oil leaking on to the brakes will slight. The cost to install oilers is not really a factor, I really dislike hanging around a nasty truck service facility for hours.

mark
I read your post on wheel bearings. We are the new owners of a 1999 HR Endeavor. I have read about oil in front wheel bearings. Can you tell me how to check them or lead me to a post that would give me the info. This our first diesel and I know I have a lot to learn.

Joe and Lynn
Joe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We need to address our wheel bearings this year. Just wondering *where* you go to get this done? The few places I asked didn't do it. Any specific recommendations in Eugene or Grants Pass OR?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
We need to address our wheel bearings this year. Just wondering *where* you go to get this done? The few places I asked didn't do it. Any specific recommendations in Eugene or Grants Pass OR?
So do we. We would welcome recommendations from the Orlando/Clerment FL. area.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #12

When I need chassis maintenance done, I go to the local Kenworth shop. It may cost a little more, they tend to know more about taking care if larger vehicle.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #13

Everything you ever wanted to know about front wheel bearings. I always use a dial indicator to adjust them. I never let anyone do it by feel.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dana Front Axle Manual AXSM-0038.pdf (1.87 MB, 105 views)
File Type: pdf Dana Front Axle Parts Breakdown AXIP-0075.pdf (771.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: pdf Timken Bearing Adjustment Vol1No5.pdf (59.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: pdf Timken Dial Indicator Vol1No7.pdf (69.6 KB, 79 views)
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #14

And one more that explains why you have to use a dial indicator.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vol1 Iss5AdjWheelBrngSystems.pdf (210.6 KB, 87 views)
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote