Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #1

Front Windshield outer rubber seal -2005 Monaco

I have a 2005 Monaco Knight 37PBD.

Front windshield is 2 piece.

Outer rubber seal is deteriorating. Previous owner has used RTV to seal around it. Made a small mess of it. I would like to remove the outer rubber seal, leaving the windshield glass in place. Replace the outer rubber seal with a new same part.

I have called all the regular suspects (RVGLASSPARTS, COACHGLASS, RVWINDOW, RVGLASS EXPERTS, VEURINKSRV, ETC.

They all say there's just the window gasket for about $400 dollars available. I believe to replace that, you must remove the front windowshields and it goes in the hole before replacing the windshields.

Has anyone done this before? I need some direction and a supplier that can sell just the outer rubber seal that goes all the around both windows (figure 8 shaped one piece).
surftalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by surftalks View Post
I would like to remove the outer rubber seal, leaving the windshield glass in place.

Replace the outer rubber seal with a new same part.
I don't see how that could work. The rubber holds/suspends the glass in the opening. If you remove the rubber the glass would fall out.

It should not be too hard to get the correct rubber gasket. Call Monaco parts (or any decent RV Glass shop) and they can get you the gasket.

Short story - I bought a new rubber gasket for my one-piece windshield prior to having windshield replaced. My insurance company would not cover replacing the gasket (unless it was damaged) but I want to replace it anyways since it was original (15 years old). So I bought one to have ready for glass company when they arrived with glass. I paid around $400 from Beaver Coach Sales. Then the when the glass installer showed up he said he could have gotten me the gasket for about half of what I paid. So lesson is - buy from the glass company not the coach manufacturer.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
"So lesson is - buy from the glass company not the coach manufacturer."

Money! Thanks
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
"So lesson is - buy from the glass company not the coach manufacturer."
Yup. You can call Monaco to get a part number or choices, then buy elsewhere (sorry Monaco).

There may be several gasket types used on your coach - so you want to be sure to get the correct one. In my case ('05 Beaver) there where several choices (see below) so BCS sales snet me the choices to match up to what was on my coach.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield Gasket Options.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	214456  
Old 08-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #5

Contact Coach Glass in Coburg, Oregon for a referral and inventory check. They are a major glass shop supplier of RV windshields and gaskets. 1 800 714 7171. They will wholesale to a glass shop near you.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #6

The old rubber gasket can be cut away on the outside with a razor knife. Then you can easily remove the windshields without cracking them. Repair any rock chips first! The new gasket is then put on the body. More often than not, 2" painters tape is needed to hold the rubber from falling down on top during the installation. The labor charge should be between $100.00 - $150.00 per side. No one will guarantee your glass will not crack, but if done carefully, the odds are in your favor. I operated a chain of glass shops for over thirty years until I retired two years ago. We did lots of motorhomes, cars, commercial and residential glass. The cost of the rubber sounds about normal. They are not cheap. In the unlikely event that the windshield cracks during installation, insurance will not cover the glass unless your reporting says it was broken by other means, such as a flying rock or a object flying up from the roadway. The gasket is not covered due to normal weathering. To claim, it too would also have to be cut or damaged by the striking force. Their is no cheap fix and one should never smear caulk on the outer side of the gasket and paint. Always take it to a professional that installs motorhome windshield. Many automotive glass shops do not install motorhome glass. One of the suppliers listed in your post above can refer you someone near you.

Good Luck!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #7

Let me get this right. The outside rubber seal I see is actually part of the gasket? Which is installed before or after the glass? It seems to be installed after the glass is in?

Also, I was told by one of the usual suspects that the glass should be glued in with a urethane glue.

What I want done,. Rubber seal pulled off, glass left in, clean up any of the old sealer that was excessive, seal around glass any voids with new urethane glue, reapply new rubber seal with recommended glue/sealer.

Is this possible to do successfully?
Old 08-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #8

So yours is glued in with urethane. I then assume the glass has a frit band around the edge of the glass showing. (a painted black band)?

The outside trim can be replaced only if the trim is held in with plastic retainers under your exterior trim. On that type, the retainer holds the T shaped trim in place. The back leg presses into the retainers. The retainer is glued into the urethane. If that's what you have, call the supplier again and let them know it's a urethane installation. Not a rubber gasket. If this is the type trim you have, it is sold as a package with the outside trim, retainers and inside trim. $$$$ The outside trim can not be bought by its self for these retainer types. Only as a complete package.

If there is no retainer holding your trim in, the windshields must be removed to install the new trim applied the edge of the glass, then re urethaned in place. The glass has only a 50% chance of survival. No cracks. Many do not come out without cracking. I've seen many results of someone trying to just glue a new molding in without removing the glass. It never works for very long. Then they would come and see me. The rubber will come unglued if the back leg is not secured around the edge of the glass with a molding designed for that. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but it is, what it is!

I've seen a few, large, exterior T moldings where the leg glues directly into the urethane. Mostly in motorhomes built in the early to mid '90s. Some of those, if you were very skilled and lucky, you might be able to just trim out the old urethane next to the glass, without cracking it. It's easy to crack one. Then reload urethane into that created opening and push the new trim leg into it. Tape it all down and let it dry. They stopped doing them that way because the trim would usually come loose in the corner bends with no good way to make it stay in place.. I doubt yours is that type.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #9

I am a bit confused about this post. On my 05 Monaco Knight the windshield is not urethaned in. It was installed dry into the gasket, the locking strip installed and a bead of urethane installed around the glass/gasket boundary. The urethane is to stop infiltration ok water when running.

Have had both sides replaced in the last 3 years. Talk about bad luck, one rock and one pheasant!
Old 08-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #10

Having not taken it apart, I'm relying on the opinion of the experts. There seems to be more than one way these windshields are installed.

I may just wait for a rock to end it's life and let an RV windshield shop do the work.

Thank you all for the input.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #11

I am curious as to why applying caulking to the rubber seal is frowned upon. Mine had a few deteriorated areas (not bad), and I applied clear RV caulking to it. Sure, you can see that it is has been patched up if you look closely. But who cares? And if you do care, it's only while driving that you will see my patches. When she's parked, my coach has the snap-on exterior sun shades that cover the rubber seal anyways.
mecdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecdatlanta View Post
I am curious as to why applying caulking to the rubber seal is frowned upon. Mine had a few deteriorated areas (not bad), and I applied clear RV caulking to it.
There are a lot of windshield replacement/sealing threads on this forum - including mine.

When I was getting my windshield replaced I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions, including the use of RTV sealant to stop a small leak. The reason given (by an ex-glass guy) not to use RTV was that the RTV does hols up as long and there are better products available.

The usual way these rubber gasket windshields are installed is, to glue the rubber gasket to the coach fiberglass/frame with urethane and then not put anything in the rubber gasket groove where the glass sits to allow the glass to be able to move in the gasket when the coach flexes.

However, when my glass was installed (I wasn't there but spoke with him afterwards) the installer put urethane on both sides of the gasket (said that's the way he has been doing it for 20 years without problem). So I guess I wait and see if I get any cracks form frame twist.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #13

Most all motorhome manufacturers use urethane between the body and rubber gasket. I've seen very few exceptions to that. However, it's a mixed bag when it comes to urethane between the glass and rubber gasket. More often than not, split windshields are glued with urethane between glass & rubber. The mixed bag seems to be more with the one piece windshields from the motorhome manufactures. I've noticed that my own Windsor has no urethane or caulk there. Urethane is applied in the gasket, not on the exterior of the gasket. Generally speaking, windshields fit pretty tight into the gasket opening without urethane and I don't really think the gasket would allow the glass to float around under stress as one might think. Personally, if my windshield were to leak any water between glass and rubber, I wouldn't hesitate to applied urethane. I've seen many stress breaks in motorhomes over the years. Many crack from small unnoticed rock chips in the glass from flying rocks off the highway. Especially chips near the edge of the glass. When that's the case, get those rock chip repairs done a.s.a.p. before it has a chance. The resin in the chip repair does strengthen the chip in the glass. I've sometimes hear from owners that the glass cracked when they leveled the coach on uneven ground with their jacks or air levelers. In most of those cases, I could usually find a very small chip along the crack that weaken the glass and allowed it to crack when a little stress was put on it. So... every time you wash those bugs off the windshield, look for rock chips. You can't always hear them when they hit. But they can ruin your day. We always used Novus repair equipment when I was in the business. Even though I'm retired from it now, in my opinion, I still think Novus repairs are the best, if you happen to have a location near you, that's your best option. All their techs go through lots of required training classes to make sure you get the best repair possible.. Not all repairs work out, but I would say that about 99% do. Most insurance companies will waive your deductible and pay for the repairs. In the long run, it saves them money too.

Tags
monaco, windshield, seal