Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
METHANE LEAK

Beware! I have been chasing a bad methane smell in closet adjacent to refrigerator since taking delivery of our coach. Finally got so bad I tore the closet apart and removed the back panel to discover that there is plumbing trap installed for the clothes washer option that we do not have. The factory failed to cap the trap which was allowing the gas to escape into the closet and MH. Not a good thing.

PLUMBING LEAK

I am taking the MH back to the dealer for the 4th time in an effort to get the trap under the bathroom sink to stop leaking. Anyone else having this problem or is it the dealer?

DASH AIR INTERMITANT

The dash air is working intermitantly. Dealer has me taking it to a Monaco chasis shop as they believe it is an electrical issue in chasis. Anyone else having this problem?

FUEL FILL LEAK

Has anyone figuered out how to stop fuel from leaking out both fill caps when tank is near full? Seems like you lose a great deal of the 75 gallon capacity by not filling to base of filler necks to prevent leaking out both fuel caps.

Thanks for any advice, DB & Cub Karen
Dancing Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
METHANE LEAK

Beware! I have been chasing a bad methane smell in closet adjacent to refrigerator since taking delivery of our coach. Finally got so bad I tore the closet apart and removed the back panel to discover that there is plumbing trap installed for the clothes washer option that we do not have. The factory failed to cap the trap which was allowing the gas to escape into the closet and MH. Not a good thing.

PLUMBING LEAK

I am taking the MH back to the dealer for the 4th time in an effort to get the trap under the bathroom sink to stop leaking. Anyone else having this problem or is it the dealer?

DASH AIR INTERMITANT

The dash air is working intermitantly. Dealer has me taking it to a Monaco chasis shop as they believe it is an electrical issue in chasis. Anyone else having this problem?

FUEL FILL LEAK

Has anyone figuered out how to stop fuel from leaking out both fill caps when tank is near full? Seems like you lose a great deal of the 75 gallon capacity by not filling to base of filler necks to prevent leaking out both fuel caps.

Thanks for any advice, DB & Cub Karen
Old 05-27-2008, 05:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 08 Cayman and have non of your issues. My main pain is the front door rattle the dealer tried to fix 4 times already and still not right.

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Get a inch & a half,(ABS or PVC ) cap from a home improvement center, & put on the drain -- Don`t glue it on,just push down as far as possible -- What part of the sink drain is leaking? This is probably an easy fix, once you pin-point the leak -- Check both fuel caps, & see if there is a rubber gasket under them - These are easy to lose -- If these are the only problems you have, you are a very lucky man - Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the input.

Bill - I actually used an 1 1/2" test plug on the trap to get a good seal without being permanent.Your right, the sink leak should be an easy fix which is a great deal of my frustration with the dealer. The fuel caps have the original gaskets in them which seam to be inefective. Wondering if anyone has added another, maybe thickergasket, for a better seal allowing more fill.

Thanks, John
Old 05-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Is your dealer SimiRV?

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Dancing Bear -- John -- I didn`t mean to minimize your woe`s -- I worked on Park Models for many years, doing factory service -- Sink/lavy drain leaks were a very common problem -- Spent many hours under the cabinets with the door frame digging into my back -- So many things come into play -- You have to start at the top where the drain comes thru the sink -- Often the rubber gasket is not tight -- The pop-up assembly on back of drain may be missing am important washer, or not tight - P-trap not aligned or missing washers -- Is the leak above the p-trap, at the p-trap -- I have thought that the drain was leaking, when it was a water line above the drain with a small leak dripping down on the drain -- If at all possible, can you post a picture where the leak is - Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Brett - Yes. Simi RV.

Bill - Thanks for the insite. I think they are not getting a good seal at the sink. It is scheduled to go back in next week. I'll give them one more chance.

Thanks again, John
Old 05-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
John.....Seems like you got some of your answers. I had the same leak out of my driver's side fule cap. If you cranked it down really tight by hand or wrench, it wouldn't leak.

The problem is the cap and neck are pipe fittings. They're tapered and the fit gets tighter as you screw it on.

I put a rag in the neck and took a file to the threads on the neck. This reduced their diameter and allowed the cap to screw on farther making contact with the rubber gasket.

Our friends have an 07 Cayman and haven't had much luck with Simi RV.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My two cents! Warranty or not, if there are little things you can fix yourself you are much better off doing so. You can usually pay for the parts by the fuel you save by not driving to the dealer not to mention the frustration you save yourself. This is speaking from experience as there have been more than one warranty issue I was not able to get resolved by the dealers and ended up fixing myself.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nodine:
...if there are little things you can fix yourself you are much better off doing so...
Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree totally with Bob, even though Buddy Gregg techs usually do good work. It seems when one thing gets fixed by the dealer, two more new needed repairs just happen to pop up. Oh, and for me it's a 60 mile drive, one-way.

CC
Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dancing Bear......If you get frustrated with some of the minor stuff, bring it over and I'll help you with the repairs. I do all my own work and I think my repairs and projects come out pretty nice. I'm probably only 5-10 miles away. I'm guessing you have a lot of week days off like me.

As a cop, I don't mind occasionally helping a hose dragger!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Gosh..I LOVE it when we are able to help two iRV2 members make a connection!
(sorry - I could NOT resist! )

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
You do not have to take it back to the dealer. Monaco will allow warranty work to be done by any number of local shops. All they have to do is call Monaco and get authorization before doing the work. All of them know the routine and and are happy to work with Monaco. With diesel at $5 a gallon, I work hard to find a local repair shop.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote