Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2011, 05:32 AM   #15

lucas fuel additive - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board This is a link to A discussion on fuel additives. Further down in the posts there is a copy of a test done by one of the Diesel forums. You will be shocked to see that many of the popular additives are worthless!! Lucas was one of the worst. There used to be a test done by Bob is The oil Guy but the link does not work. Maybe he was threatened with a lawsuit. There are some excellent products that prevent gelling and some will lower the smoke in older diesels. The rest are snake oil. We wouild all like to pour something into our fuel or oil and VOILA we have gained 2 mpg or 50 HP. That is fantasy!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #16

Grand Design Owners Club
I'm giving the Opti-Max product XPD a try this summer. Diplomat Don has had some good results with it and he hasn't lead me astray yet. I only have about 20 miles with it so far, so no results either way. I'm pretty sure the extra lubricant should be good for my engine.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #17

Fuel Additive

Thanks to all who responded to my post. After reading all the replys and other threads on this subject I have decided "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and am goping to take the advice of Cummins. "no additive required".
Thanks again all

gjenner
gjenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cummins directly told me: No additives required

There is a shop in town that has examples of what additives can and will likely do to your fuel lines, eat up filters, clog injectors, etc.

You know what? They still sell engine honey.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #19

People make and sell additives because they want to make money and people are made to believe that they need them. It is like selling weight loss pills. In all the testing they have never found one that works but they keep o selling them and people keep on buying them.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sta-Bil for winter storage, Since I no longer do winter storage I think I have a bottle or 2 of octane booster lying about in case I get back in the land of low octane but frankly.. I'm not sure.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Amsoil...but also have heard good things about low ash 2 cycle oil
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Pairajays,
What is the point of your post?

In any industry is there a manufacturer that recommends an aftermarket product for what they make? Does that mean after market products do not work? Aftermarket products are for owners who find themselves in unique situations where an aftermarket product would be of benefit.

The product I use is Stanadyne Performance formula. And yes it does work as advertised (on my coach).
I wasn't looking for a point, just information. If an engine manufacturer does not recommend an after market product, I will not use one? Just look at the after market products that are available for your engine oil, do they all perform as advertised? If we put them all into our engines, we wouldn't have room for oil. And, it's not just lubricating oil, the same thing for your diesel or gas. Don't forget products that keep you MH looking pretty, holly molly, we are constantly bombarded with advertising that promises to improve milage, engine life, tire life, our life, sex life and just about anything else you can think of. But, as you implied, that's what I do and you do what you want to do.

Just for my info, what is Stanadyne and how does it "work as advertised"?

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"How many use fuel additive and which one?"

The last time this question came up it went south quickly. The original post/question above, doesn't say ANYTHING about why you DON'T use an additive. It's just asking who does and what kind.

I almost didn't respond because I knew we were going to get all the people demanding we prove what the additive does and if Cummins, Cat or Detroit Diesel doesn't sanction it, you don't need it.....really? I can't think of any company that is going to take on the liabilty of recommending any additive or bolt on product they didn't produce, especially if there are a variety of them.

I use an additive to increase lubricity in my fuel. Please prove to me that every gallon of diesel you buy meets the government standard for lubricity. Sounds silly.....doesn't it.

If you don't want to use an additive....don't.....please don't tell me how to spend my money!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Stanadyne is one of the major manufacturers of fuel injection systems in the world. The decreased lubricity of the new fuels forced Stanadyne to come up with a solution, so they did. They produced a high lubricity formula fuel additive to prevent the injection pump plungers and injector plungers from galling and seizing.

John Deere had a real problem with seizing injection pump plungers until they used fuel additive with high lubricity formula.

I put a bit of high lubricity fuel additive in every second or third tank fill. Can't do any harm.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
http://www.stanadyne.com
chaperon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
All of Stanadyne OEM approvals are mostly ten years old and I could not see any approvals from Cummins.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #27

I use JB biocide because sometimes the RV is stored for more than 2 months at a time. Especially with the price of fuel at $5.00 a flippen gallon
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
I would appreciate it if someone would point me to an article, originated by Caterpillar, Cummins or Detroit Diesel, that recommends using any kind of additive to the engine lubricating oil.

Jim E
In my last visit to Cummins I asked the same question. They said they do not recommend using additives, however they do recommend using a biocide where it's indicated. To me that's an additive, but I think what they're referring to are performance enhancing additives. I can't speak to the other manufacturers recommendations.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote