RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel Tank Size - 2000 Dynasty

The product brochure for 2000 model year says the Dynasty fuel tank is 118 gallons but the owners manual says 130. My coach is the 34 York, so I'm not sure if they used different size tanks on the different length coaches. My fuel gauge has decided to take a vacation and I just installed a Silverleaf VMSpc to aid in monitoring fuel usage. Without me running down to empty and refilling does anyone know the tank size?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #2

My 03 dynasty says 130 gal my usable is about 110 and i have vmspc set to 100 cuz its a pain if you run out.. I fuel at about 60 thats where gen quits do i like roof air runniing in hot weather. But I go over 450 miles in 60 gal so i am ready for a stop.

You will like vmspc.

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #3

Glen, the difference MAY be in the actual size of the tank and the usable volume. Monaco, like others, does not put the fuel pickup at the very bottom of the tank in order to minimize sucking up sludge and other "stuff".

Some folks with fuel gauge issues have repaired their system by adding another ground wire to the sending unit on the top of the tank. You should be able to see where the sending unit comes out of the tank from one side or the other. Follow the wires and look for one that is grounded. Corrosion can cause that connection to be poor.

While you are there, clean and remake the connection to the sending unit. Dirt and oil can hold moisture, causing inaccurate readings.

If your fuel sending unit is a Centroid brand, there is a calibration procedure I'm aware of. When diesel changed over to ultra low sulfur diesel, the calibration became pretty far off. Also, some have reported that bio-diesel will also cause problems.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Stallings View Post
Glen, the difference MAY be in the actual size of the tank and the usable volume. Monaco, like others, does not put the fuel pickup at the very bottom of the tank in order to minimize sucking up sludge and other "stuff".

Some folks with fuel gauge issues have repaired their system by adding another ground wire to the sending unit on the top of the tank. You should be able to see where the sending unit comes out of the tank from one side or the other. Follow the wires and look for one that is grounded. Corrosion can cause that connection to be poor.

While you are there, clean and remake the connection to the sending unit. Dirt and oil can hold moisture, causing inaccurate readings.

If your fuel sending unit is a Centroid brand, there is a calibration procedure I'm aware of. When diesel changed over to ultra low sulfur diesel, the calibration became pretty far off. Also, some have reported that bio-diesel will also cause problems.
Les, I traded email with Joel at Centroid and I've cleaned and applied an electrical cleaner/sealer to all of the sending unit connections. Following that my gauge went from showing extreme full all the time, to working fine for a few days, to now varying all over the place. I haven't tried adding a second ground to the sending unit. I figure the gauge will never be very accurate anyway and the VMSpc should do a good job at tracking my fuel consumption so I may just throw in the towel on fixing the gauge.

As Dupdyke mentions, I want to make certain that I keep my fuel level high enough for the additional pick-up tubes for both the genny and the Aquahot. I'll never hear the end of it if the DW has to take a cold shower.

I read posts that Centroid will often blame algae in the fuel tank for erratic or nonfunctional gauge. Do many people use a fuel additive to combat algae?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #5

The first RV we bought came with an inherited algae problem. Ever since, I've used Biobor JF with every fill-up.

Living in the Southeast, it is just much easier to keep adding a maintenance dose of Biobor JF with every fill-up than to clean up an established algae problem.

While I do carry spare fuel filters, the need for them is greatly reduced now that I have things under control. These last two years, I have not needed to change fuel filters between my routine annual engine service.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know what causes the algae? Is algae more prevalent in higher humidity areas? We are a very low humidity climate but I bough my coach from a guy in Oregon. Had the engine services a few months ago and replaced the fuel filters. The mechanic made no mention of algae. I suppose I could use the fuel additive as a preventive measure, probably doesn't have any negative affects.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #7

Many folks recommend carrying spare fuel filters, both primary and secondary. I also carry a spare Onan fuel filter.

Algae actually grows in diesel fuel. Living in a dry climate will reduce the chance of establishing algae. Folks that have experienced the most problems are those that sit for periods of time in one place, especially in hot areas. Humidity does not help, but heat and "stale" fuel seems to be the Petri dish.

Biobor is very common in the marine industry. Ship diesel fuel tanks are obviously susceptible. There are other products that will kill and decompose existing algae, allowing it to be filtered. One may go through multiple filter changes while the system is cleaning itself.

If your system is currently "clean", you may want to consider a routine treatment to keep it that way. Certainly you should consider an additive when filling the fuel tank for long term storage. For instance, if your coach will be sitting in one place for a month, use Biobor and fill the tank before you park it.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Stallings View Post
Many folks recommend carrying spare fuel filters, both primary and secondary. I also carry a spare Onan fuel filter.

Algae actually grows in diesel fuel. Living in a dry climate will reduce the chance of establishing algae. Folks that have experienced the most problems are those that sit for periods of time in one place, especially in hot areas. Humidity does not help, but heat and "stale" fuel seems to be the Petri dish.

Biobor is very common in the marine industry. Ship diesel fuel tanks are obviously susceptible. There are other products that will kill and decompose existing algae, allowing it to be filtered. One may go through multiple filter changes while the system is cleaning itself.

If your system is currently "clean", you may want to consider a routine treatment to keep it that way. Certainly you should consider an additive when filling the fuel tank for long term storage. For instance, if your coach will be sitting in one place for a month, use Biobor and fill the tank before you park it.
Thank Les... great information, much appreciated.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I do a shock treatment once year and have no issues, we live in NE Ohio.

Tank quantity. I have the same tank as you. Largest fill up is 91 gals. Most miles driven is 730. I drive about 600 miles and fill up. Gallons added varies between 60 and 75 doing that. Think of the bottom 1/3 of tank as insurance. I never seem to have any problems early on a business day, only late at night on a week end.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Glen if you have not calibrated your VMSpc you will need to on spedo, odometer and MPG I have the instructions if needed contact me. On my tank I also set up as 100 gal as my fuel gauge don't work with or without a ground wire and I also pulled and cleaned it a couple times.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Do you know what causes the algae? Is algae more prevalent in higher humidity areas? We are a very low humidity climate but I bough my coach from a guy in Oregon. Had the engine services a few months ago and replaced the fuel filters. The mechanic made no mention of algae. I suppose I could use the fuel additive as a preventive measure, probably doesn't have any negative affects.
One thing that helps the growth is storing the MH with the tank not full. This encourages condensation in the tank. I fill up ours when we stay for a while no matter the cost of fuel.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Glen if you have not calibrated your VMSpc you will need to on spedo, odometer and MPG I have the instructions if needed contact me. On my tank I also set up as 100 gal as my fuel gauge don't work with or without a ground wire and I also pulled and cleaned it a couple times.
Thanks Walt, just sent you a PM. Since I have an Aquahot I'll probably just set my fuel tank size in VMSpc to 100 as you did so I stay conservative with the bottom of the AH fuel pickup tube which I believe is at about 25% full.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Glenn I attached two files on adjusting your Fuel mileage one is from Martin many yrs ago and one is how to adjust with win 7 also gave you a file on how to install a cruse icon that will let you know when its on or off and what mph it was last set. The one from Martin is from the old Silverleaf forum and I dont think its on the new forum, it a little rambling but I dont think you will have any problems figuring it out.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Silverleaf mpg and fuel adj.txt (1.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: txt Silver Leaf VMSpc Cruse on.txt (1.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: txt Silver Leaf Fuel and milage adj.txt (2.6 KB, 33 views)
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Glenn I attached two files on adjusting your Fuel mileage one is from Martin many yrs ago and one is how to adjust with win 7 also gave you a file on how to install a cruse icon that will let you know when its on or off and what mph it was last set. The one from Martin is from the old Silverleaf forum and I dont think its on the new forum, it a little rambling but I dont think you will have any problems figuring it out.
Walt,
A little bit delayed but thank you for the files. We just got back from a week in the desert and 800 miles on the road. The Silverleaf worked great, wonderful having all of that information, especially for managing the gear changes over the mountain passes. Not to mention actually knowing my fuel situation since the fuel gauge has totally given up and even with a full tank the Low Fuel light is on. I never looked at the dashboard the entire trip.

Thanks again,
Glenn

Tags
fuel, tank