Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

Full-Timing in Alberta

Hi folks. My name is Ken. I am full-timing in a '97 Signature Series here in Alberta. Yes, right through winter. Not in an RV park, either. Out in the trees. If you are interested in what this kind of adventure is like you could check out a blog I have been writing since the summer. I'm pretty sure you will find it interesting and will probably get a few laughs as well. It starts out a little wordy but I quickly started posting pics. It is on a site called muniac.com and please also check out the site owner's two part article on winter coach living on his site's front pages. Thanks. Here is a link to the forum. My blog is under "Adventure" and is, of course, titled "Full-Timing Thru Alberta Winter".MUNIAC.COM - Forum)
BraggCreek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry I left the snow in Detroit in 1949 and have no need to be in it now. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #3

deSanford: Wow!! That is a little harsh.

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ken YOU GUY'S ARE AMAZING! it sure looks cold there as I just went through your blog. and enjoyed looking at the photo's and write ups. It sure looks like you are out in the middle of no where! Looks quite! Thank you for sharing......
Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

Hi. Thanks for your replies and interest. It does get cold here and that was a heck of a blizzard yesterday. I like winter and the challenges it presents. It's can be beautiful and deadly at the same time. Yes, palehorse89, it is very quiet and feels quite remote even though I'm only a 30 minute drive from a city with a million people. I'm having fun and that's what counts to me.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I used to live in Calgary and head to Bragg Creek almost every weekend. Nice area. How's the town doing after the flood? Did the Steak Pit survive?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

Hi dogpatch. Although I only live about 7 kms (about 4 miles) east of Bragg Creek I very seldom go there. I find everything there pretty pricey and because I work in Calgary I get my supplies there. I want to check out The Powderhorn Saloon in Bragg Creek but haven't done so yet. Alberta has extremely strict drinking and driving laws now. Two beers (Canadian ones remember) is enough to put you over .05 and you will lose your vehicle for weeks and pay exorbident costs. If you hit .08 you're really in big trouble. I'm all for penalties against drinking and driving but that .05 law is pretty extreme I think. There is no taxi service in Bragg Creek. I was there a week or so after the flood and Bragg was pretty messed up for sure. I have no idea about the Steak Pit.
Thanks for your interest.---Ken
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraggCreek1 View Post
Hi folks. My name is Ken. I am full-timing in a '97 Signature Series here in Alberta. Yes, right through winter. Not in an RV park, either. Out in the trees. If you are interested in what this kind of adventure is like you could check out a blog I have been writing since the summer. I'm pretty sure you will find it interesting and will probably get a few laughs as well. It starts out a little wordy but I quickly started posting pics. It is on a site called muniac.com and please also check out the site owner's two part article on winter coach living on his site's front pages. Thanks. Here is a link to the forum. My blog is under "Adventure" and is, of course, titled "Full-Timing Thru Alberta Winter".MUNIAC.COM - Forum)
Started reading and keep getting interrupted, so will return to it later, I am more than interested as I have spent the day just shoveling out of 3-4 ft drifts. (Sorry I don't know the MMs on that and feet and inches is still my accustomed method..) besides right now my brain is frozen and must be stuck in 'old speak'
I just want to let you know your bravery is not un-noticed and I understand that some folks actually do like winter, myself being one, but it is the extreme cold I dislike but I also feel the same about extreme heat ... spring and fall are my fav times with a touch of summer and winter ... right now I have had all the touching of winter I can handle... i'm done!
Keep on keeping on, it is good to live outside the box... (not thids week however, get in!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I use to snow camp in a tent a lot, when I was younger. It would be nice to do it again, but not at the negative temps you get in Alberta. Enjoy the winter and the trips to town.

Luke
Currently in Morro Bay, California
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #10

It is -27C (-16.6F) here in the early evening tonight. I expect it will hit at least -30C by sunrise--probably even colder. She's a cold one tonight.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
No way would I do that in an RV. It was bad enough in Toronto in a house.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #12

Hi TXiceman. It's been quite an adventure for sure. I'm really perfectly warm inside the coach. I did have Aqua-Hot problems for the first couple of months and did have a few chilly nights when it was not working but everything is working good now. If you haven't checked out my blog you should. The link is at the top of this thread. It's good for a few laughs if nothing else,haha. I just like to be different and I like the challenges winter brings.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I liked reading your blog and the fact that you like the "harsh" weather. deSanford My family and I go to Big Bear play in the snow get our colds and come home.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #14

You are one hearty RV'er my friend. My hat is off to you doing this in Alberta. Our RV is a frozen lump in the back yard covered in snow after the blizzard on Monday. We just returned from Cuba (on Monday during the blizzard) and this weather makes me wish I was still back there! Oh well. Good luck out there.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote