RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Full wall slide seal bad

I have a 2008 Safari Simba 30SFS with a full wall slide on the driver side. The wiper seal that goes up both sides and across the top is bad and I need to replace it. I will need to remove the awning cover in order to access the top seal. So I need to know where I can get a new seal and new awning cover for the slide.
Can anyone tell me where to get the new seal and cover? Do I need to get them from Monaco? Has anyone else done this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see no one has responded so here goes:

I have a 2007 Monaco Monarch SVE 30SFS which required replacing the seal twice in the first three years due to rusting metal grip in the original un-incapsulated seal material.

I found the following replacement seal material from Clean Seal, Inc. Incapsulated Seal
No. ZML-6705. I had to go through a second supplier due to the smaller required 50 foot minimum length order (actually used 32 feet).....Parkin Associates. Clean Seal will send you a sample. Google ZML-6705 for an actual picture I took of my sample. You can also search my old IRV2 posts for further info. I had this new material put on in Dec. 2010 and it is still in place with no problems. Required having the Carefree Awning bar placed on the roof, the lift bars removed, and the slide partly open. Five Stars RV in Louviers, Colo. did the work in one day whereas the Dealer had my rig for almost a month in July, 2008 dealing with materials from Monaco and delaying the work under warranty.

Can't help with cover material info other than I re-sewed the front and back seams by hand and needle with fishing line. The original cotton threads were disappearing after one year. This fix has held up.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiebob View Post
I see no one has responded so here goes:

I have a 2007 Monaco Monarch SVE 30SFS which required replacing the seal twice in the first three years due to rusting metal grip in the original un-incapsulated seal material.

I found the following replacement seal material from Clean Seal, Inc. Incapsulated Seal
No. ZML-6705. I had to go through a second supplier due to the smaller required 50 foot minimum length order (actually used 32 feet).....Parkin Associates. Clean Seal will send you a sample. Google ZML-6705 for an actual picture I took of my sample. You can also search my old IRV2 posts for further info. I had this new material put on in Dec. 2010 and it is still in place with no problems. Required having the Carefree Awning bar placed on the roof, the lift bars removed, and the slide partly open. Five Stars RV in Louviers, Colo. did the work in one day whereas the Dealer had my rig for almost a month in July, 2008 dealing with materials from Monaco and delaying the work under warranty.

Can't help with cover material info other than I re-sewed the front and back seams by hand and needle with fishing line. The original cotton threads were disappearing after one year. This fix has held up.

Looks like you had a wipe seal, and two bulb seals combined. I have a similar, except mine is the coach side lower seal under the largest slide. Same metal pinch weld and a single bulb seal. Maybe 6703 part number.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 07-14-2016, 04:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for your replies. I have looked at the pictures of the seal you had installed and it looks like mine except I have only one bulb seal and it hits the slide when closed. Do you know if your original seal only had one? I am concerned that the double bulb seal may be too thick. We also sewed the seam on our slide cover at the front and rear but the thread is coming out further in where we cannot reach it so I thought we should replace it at the same time.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
10Boomer....Not sure, but believe my bottom full slide seal is different than ZML-6705. Don't know if it is a single bulb, unit is in storage barn. Looks like 6703 also has a narrower grip. 6705 is the thickness of a quarter.

K22j23....possibly different years, different parts. There is also a small rubber seal on the slide itself which seats against the wall when closed. ZML-6705 is the same double bulb as my original except is encapsulated and harder rubber material as compared to more of a foam rubber...it is stiffer material.

As for the threading, I recall folks also had problems with the stitching giving out on the rail portion. My unit sits under cover most of the year so don't have the sun and weather year round to wear things out quicker.

Oh...noticed error in installer on original reply..should have been AllstarsRV.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
K22j23, More info

Reason for double wiper bulb...outside bulb seals against slide when closed, inside bulb seals the inner side of slide when slid out, along with the smaller additional seals on the inside and outside of the slide. Don't see how one bulb (would only have the small seal located on the inside of the slide) would be enough of a seal on this full slide when the slide is out, but maybe they decided to do away with the inside bulb on your unit.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiebob View Post
K22j23, More info

Reason for double wiper bulb...outside bulb seals against slide when closed, inside bulb seals the inner side of slide when slid out, along with the smaller additional seals on the inside and outside of the slide. Don't see how one bulb (would only have the small seal located on the inside of the slide) would be enough of a seal on this full slide when the slide is out, but maybe they decided to do away with the inside bulb on your unit.
Right, i do have wiper seals to the outside and the bulb seal underneath the main slide, plus the seals on t he slide.
10Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #8

I haven't replaced slide seals yet although I
plan to but the wife and I did the slide covers .

I bought my slide covers from Stone Vos Co .
owned by Chris Throgmartin .
He claims to make much better covers than original
and I believe they are .
He is a Monaco owner and is a regular over on
the Bill D's Monacoers Group at Yahoo .

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages

RV Awnings & Slide Toppers From Stone Vos

I called Mindy at 352 942 0224 , she gave me a
price and took my order . Less than a wk and I
had my 4 covers .
Great experience and no I don't know or have
any affiliation with them .
Chris can talk you through your project .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
I haven't replaced slide seals yet although I
plan to but the wife and I did the slide covers .

I bought my slide covers from Stone Vos Co .
owned by Chris Throgmartin .
He claims to make much better covers than original
and I believe they are .
He is a Monaco owner and is a regular over on
the Bill D's Monacoers Group at Yahoo .

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages

RV Awnings & Slide Toppers From Stone Vos

I called Mindy at 352 942 0224 , she gave me a
price and took my order . Less than a wk and I
had my 4 covers .
Great experience and no I don't know or have
any affiliation with them .
Chris can talk you through your project .

Ray
Can you post pictures and any tips on the DIY experience?
Old 07-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #10

( Can you post pictures and any tips on the DIY experience? )

Hi 10Boomer,

I'm really sorry that I didn't take pictures but we were trying
to get the covers on so we could leave on a trip .
I will say that my fears about the job were not realized since
I found it a very straight forward job , not complicated and
not very hard .
2 people on 12 ft step ladders with simple hand tools , just be
careful on the ladder .

When you do a search on here there's lots of info .
I think I found quite a bit of stuff on ( sticky ) quick tips thread
Also Stone Vos will help with guidance .
Many people purchase from Stone Vos and have them installed.
You will get a much better cover that way .

BTW most slide covers are made a little short in width so that
water is almost sure to run onto your slide while Stone Vos makes
covers as wide as possible to get as much coverage as you can .
I chose to continue with woven fabric but they also have the new
vinyl covers for the same price .
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
( Can you post pictures and any tips on the DIY experience? )

Hi 10Boomer,

I'm really sorry that I didn't take pictures but we were trying
to get the covers on so we could leave on a trip .
I will say that my fears about the job were not realized since
I found it a very straight forward job , not complicated and
not very hard .
2 people on 12 ft step ladders with simple hand tools , just be
careful on the ladder .

When you do a search on here there's lots of info .
I think I found quite a bit of stuff on ( sticky ) quick tips thread
Also Stone Vos will help with guidance .
Many people purchase from Stone Vos and have them installed.
You will get a much better cover that way .

BTW most slide covers are made a little short in width so that
water is almost sure to run onto your slide while Stone Vos makes
covers as wide as possible to get as much coverage as you can .
I chose to continue with woven fabric but they also have the new
vinyl covers for the same price .

Thx very good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 07-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #12

Well to conclude my bulb seal on the drivers side slide in front: It is a 2 3/4" bulb seal with a single pinch weld on the opposite side, REV ( or Allied) parts have all the seal also if you give them the last 6 if vin# the will give you the actual parts numbers they used on your build (Monaco), I picked up 15 feet it was about 3 bucks a foot. I installed it in about 35 minutes
Old 09-16-2016, 04:57 AM   #13
Commercial Member

I am a little late to this party so I apologize for that but wanted to post in case someone does a search on this topic at a later date.

I attend a lot of rallys and offer free inspections for coach owners in attendance. Out of the 1,000's of coaches I have inspected, the full wall slide units always gets my radar up. There are known problems with Monaco built full wall slide coaches and the top wiper seal is just one of the major issues. I have had customers go through 3 of them in a few short years.

The problem is these seals have a steel crimp inside the rubber which holds the seal in place. It slides over the fiberglass and the crimp holds it in place. The problem is these seals will allow moisture inside the seal, rusting out the metal. As it rusts the steel expands and looses its crimping capabilities. When you operate your slide the seal gets pulled off.

The fix is to replace the seal but once installed attaching stainless screws at 16 " - 2 ft intervals. You then caulk the back side of the seal using Proflex RV caulking. This is a permanent fix and one being used at the factory service centers as well as by some of the top technicians in the USA. Unfortunately it is not very well known outside these circles so people continually have these seals replaced.

I find that 50 % of the full wall slide Monaco brand coaches I inspect have a failing top wiper seal. It is a very common problem. I advise customers to inspect their full wall slide seals twice a year by getting a flashlight and ladder and looking at it under the topper. Another way to inspect it is with the slide partially brought in. More then one coach owner has found this seal setting on top of their slide with the slide brought all the way in.

Hope this helps some of you. As always I make myself available for members here and will answer any questions you may have. If I am at a rally that your attending, please see me and I will inspect it for you for free.

Chris T
Stone Vos
Chris T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
As an alternative to REV for wiper seals, you might want to look at Steele Rubber's new offerings. I just ordered a piece p/n: 70-3710-99 lip seal (non-bulb) for the bottom of one of my slides. Steele Rubber Products - Wiper Seal for Slide Outs
Will follow-up with details after I get it.

Gene M
2004 Monaco Knight

CadillLinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, slide