RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I know it is hard to believe and I'm sure some of you will have little sympathy but it was a chilly 54 degrees here in SoCalif. this morning. I flipped on the thermostat to furnace to take the chill out of the air for my lovely bride to shower. I waited and waited....nothing...no click, no fan, no heat. I switched over to heat pump and everything worked. Is there a fuse somewhere I should check? I haven't had any problems before so I'm hoping it is just a fuse.

Thanks,
Steve
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I know it is hard to believe and I'm sure some of you will have little sympathy but it was a chilly 54 degrees here in SoCalif. this morning. I flipped on the thermostat to furnace to take the chill out of the air for my lovely bride to shower. I waited and waited....nothing...no click, no fan, no heat. I switched over to heat pump and everything worked. Is there a fuse somewhere I should check? I haven't had any problems before so I'm hoping it is just a fuse.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On mine, the fuse is in the closet. There is a circuit breaker panel in there.
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, I was thinking of the hot water heater. My bad-----
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Since you don't often use the propane furnace it could have air in the line. There should be a fault light associated with the furnace switch that will come on if the gas burner fails to light. Turn it off and back on to try again. I would cycle through the fault light coming on several times to give any air a chance to dissipate. Also make sure the gas is turned on and light the stove for a few minutes to check that gas is flowing.

Bob

P.S. You are correct in assuming that I don't have much sympathy for you! It was 17 here this morning!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nutensteve:

Thanks,
Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We had this happen on our '07 Diplomat a while back. Demonstrating my technical prowess I went outside and took the cover off of the furnace compartment and stared at the furnace innards for a little while. Not seeing anything obviously wrong I decided to jiggle some of the wires. I was surprised that the furnace tried to fire up when I jiggled them in a particular manner. I was able to tape the wires so that the furnace would work. We were planning to take the rig in soon for some service so I thought I would let them diagnose and fix the problem. The technician said it was a loose wire connection in the furnace compartment. Sorry, but I don't know which one it was.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nutensteve:

Thanks,
Old 12-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure the propane valve is open

2006 Monaco Knight 40DFD
dwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I checked all the wires to make sure everything was connected and changed out a fuse in the closet. I got the fans to come on but no heat. It seems like the furnace isn't getting propane. I have a full tank and the cooktop work fine so......not sure.

Nodine ...Where is that fault light you mentioned? I didn't see anything on the hall control panel or at the furnaces themselves.

I appreciate all the advice.....lucky I don't need the furnace right now....although it is a chilly 75 outside right now....sorry but could't resist.

Steve
Old 12-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #9

nutensteve,

I have experienced similar problems in the past and it usually relates to the propane pressure. Check (if you have the equipment) to make sure that you are getting the proper WC (Water Column)pressure at the furnace. I think it should be around 11" WC. If you do not have the proper equipment, most RV repair shops can do it for you in about 15 minutes. Simple fix, is that is the problem.

Good luck...

Chef Guy
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #10

when I filled mine in October, I had a problem getting the air out of the line also.

I'm sitting here and it's 20 right now snowing all day. I drove down to look at Lake Huron freezing over from the shoreline. Two electric heaters running. The LP indicator just dropped to the 1/3 lite on. And Snowing. I'm kicking my butt now thinking I shoulda replaced the indicators with the better type on the forum here from Garrett. Oh well, The Big Buddy heater is still in reserve with 12 cans. And about a twelve pack of beer left. It'll be all right. Hope to head south in 10 days if this project will finish out.
I hope your sweet thing doesn't get frost bite!!!

2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG TT 2011 F150 puller
Lennyzx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry Steve,

My brain was not connected to my fingers! I was thinking of the water heater and the DSI Fault light.

One thing that has not been mentioned is the sail switch. If the fan does not blow with enough force to engage the sail switch the propane will not turn on to the furnace. The most common cause for this is low battery voltage. I assume this is not your case since you are plugged into shore power.

Bob

Nodine ...Where is that fault light you mentioned? I didn't see anything on the hall control panel or at the furnaces themselves.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
nutensteve,

I had the same problem recently. Had it looked at while at Harrisburg, they found that the wire bundle connector was loose at the circuit board was loose. So far so good.
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Update on the furnace. After spending many hours diagnosing the problem the tech finally fixed it yesterday. I wasn't aware that the furnaces are all connected thru the air conditioners. It seems that the heat pumps are interconnected to the furnace. We had power to the furnace and power at the air conditioner but no communication to the furnace. He could by-pass the air conditioner and the furnace would ignite. He changed both modules in the air conditioner but still no communication. He finally traced the wiring and found a corroded connector under the sink in the kitchen slide. He changed out the connector and I now have a working furnace.

I was amazed at the different access points he was able to find to access wiring throughout the coach. Life is good again because Nute is happy....and warm.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:12 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Since we have the same exact coach I will make a mental note of that detail. Since the curbside furnace is in the kitchen slideout near the sink I guess the connector was associated with the furnace. Maybe you had a water leak at one time or another that caused the corrosion. I know you have to watch these fancy single handle faucets because they sometimes leak around the ball. They can be fixed with a little silicone grease and a Delta wrench.

Bob

Update on the furnace. After spending many hours diagnosing the problem the tech finally fixed it yesterday. I wasn't aware that the furnaces are all connected thru the air conditioners. It seems that the heat pumps are interconnected to the furnace. We had power to the furnace and power at the air conditioner but no communication to the furnace. He could by-pass the air conditioner and the furnace would ignite. He changed both modules in the air conditioner but still no communication. He finally traced the wiring and found a corroded connector under the sink in the kitchen slide. He changed out the connector and I now have a working furnace.

I was amazed at the different access points he was able to find to access wiring throughout the coach. Life is good again because Nute is happy....and warm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>