Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2015, 04:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Furnace fan runs, but will not light

We are camping in Hershey this weekend and the furnace was working all night. Good heat. I got up a while ago to turn the thermostat up a few degrees (from 61 to 63 degrees) and now it won't ignite - the fans runs but it won't even try to ignite?

The hot water heater ignites so I know I have flow of propane but not sure how much as the guage is not working on the test panel (reads full but I know it must be around 1/2 full). If the tank is low will that prevent the furnace from even cycling/trying to start? The reason I ask is because I had to replace a bad solenoid last summer and it fixed my problem but even with the bad solenoid it would click like it was trying to ignite.

No clicking or attempt to ignite now.

Thanks in advance.

-Rob
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 04:16 AM   #2

Something on the control side has gone. It's meter time, go through each stage of the wiring checking the various safetys, hopefully one of them has gone bad or it could be control board failure, though checking that is clean and dry also is a good idea, depending on model.
Our last RV did similar, turned out the over temp switch in the back of the unit had failed, luckiky we were at a show our RV tech was exibiting at and he happened to have one. Half hour groveling about under the refrigerator, furnance location, and heat was restored
Dodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:35 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Which Furnace do you have and do you need a trouble shooting manual ?
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Low battery voltage will not allow the blower to come up to speed. Under that condition, it will not try to ignite but rather shutdown the blower.

The real question is does the blower shutoff or continue to run requiring you to work the thermostat to get it to try again. If it continues to run, then you have an ignition problem.

The Service Manuals are all online.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 10-31-2015, 06:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Update: I just tried it again and it lit up fine. Not sure why it would work intermittently like this? It seems like it comes on and stays on until it reaches desired temp and then the furnace will stop but the fan will continue to run to dissipate heat (which I believe is normal). Then the fan shuts off after a short time. Then, when the thermostat detects a drop in temp, the furnace kicks in again but this time the fan just runs and runs with no ignition attempt.

So maybe it has something to do with the thermostat?
Old 10-31-2015, 06:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Which Furnace do you have and do you need a trouble shooting manual ?
Not sure about unit manufacturer but will check and update this thread. I downloaded a great troubleshooting manual already and thanks for asking.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #7

I had the same thing happen. I read the led blinking code and found low air output had caused a overheating condition. Took the rug off the living room heat register and let the unit cool down. Restarted fine and no more problem. (Or rug)
Rick
captw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #8

Sounds like a failure of the sail switch when it's warm. If you wait 1 hr will it come on then?
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #9
Commercial Member

The fan continuing to run is an indication that it tried to ignite the burner but it didn't succeed. This is called lockout. The thermostat needs moved to a colder setting and back to reset the lockout and cause it to try again.

With that said, it is not the sail switch. It is probably mis-adjustment oh the igniter or the igniter needs cleaning as it is not detecting the flame. Your manual should explain the process.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 11-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Actually, the symptoms are more like marcham mentioned. Once it is off for an hour or so it will start back up and light without any problem. Also, when the problem occurs it doesn't ever cycle the igniter. No clicking. It must be the sail switch.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Furnace fan runs, but will not light

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
Actually, the symptoms are more like marcham mentioned. Once it is off for an hour or so it will start back up and light without any problem. Also, when the problem occurs it doesn't ever cycle the igniter. No clicking. It must be the sail switch.

Since your furnace goes into lockout, the sail switch is working. If the sail switch was not working, the fan would shutdown within about 30 seconds.

Depending on the model, the high-temp limit switch will cause the same problem. If tripped, it will not attempt to ignite. When the furnace is in this non-ignite condition, you can test the high-temp limit with a meter at the wires connecting to the circuit board. Your manual will define which wires.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 11-02-2015, 06:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
Since your furnace goes into lockout, the sail switch is working. If the sail switch was not working, the fan would shutdown within about 30 seconds.

Depending on the model, the high-temp limit switch will cause the same problem. If tripped, it will not attempt to ignite. When the furnace is in this non-ignite condition, you can test the high-temp limit with a meter at the wires connecting to the circuit board. Your manual will define which wires.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
That sounds like it might be the ticket. I'll be ready to roll the next time this happens

Thanks to all.

Tags
ace, fan, furnace, light