RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 935
Furnace removal for residential fridge

After our first trip (2004 Camelot PBDD) in mild weather it was clear the Norcold was not gonna cut it on a summer trip. After carefully measuring I do not even think I can fit a Fisher and Paykel without removing the furnace. I have read and talked to a few others that say they rarely use their furnace. We live in Texas where it rarely even reaches temps below freezing. Just curious what others without a furnace use and how well do they work. Thanks in advance.
__________________

BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
docsdock's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Padre Island
Posts: 442
Blog Entries: 1
I lowered the floor about 4 inches - just above the furnace and the fridge fit perfect - We live in Texas too and during the winter we use the furnace - especially to warm the bathroom before showers in the AM. I installed the samsung - fits great
__________________

__________________
Dave and Suzy, Quincey and Chica
My two youngest in Coast Guard
2006 Monaco Knight 40ft
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
jacwjames's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6,347
docsdock

That is my dilemma also, we have camped in cooler weather and the furnace does work well since it runs of battery and propane. If furnace is removed we would be forces to run generator an use small cube heaters.

Can you describe what you did to lower the floor? How much clearance did you leave.

I've seen other posts where a metal frame was made and left open to allow for air flow. The frig then just rests on top of the metal frame.


Thanks
__________________
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
onechaddude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,851
I'm using a whirlpool wrt316 as a norcold replacement. It's only about 2" taller than norcold and less than $600 unless you add an icemaker. Only caveat is its about 5" less width. I'm installing a pantry so works out good for me.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Member
 
Northernaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Menominee, MI
Posts: 56
I too was short of room. My furnace was on blocks so I lowered it to the floor ( had to reroute propane and water ). I put a 3/8 metal plate above the furnace. My Samsung just fit. I was also thinking of pulling the furnace. I'm glad I didn't. I needed right around 70 in. I don't have 1/4 in to spare. What are you measuring from top of furnace to ceiling?
__________________
Gene, Sherry and Buddy the Yellow Lab

2007 45' HR Navigator, 525 Cummins, 2010 Dodge Journey, ReadyBrute Elite
Northernaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernaire View Post
I too was short of room. My furnace was on blocks so I lowered it to the floor ( had to reroute propane and water ). I put a 3/8 metal plate above the furnace. My Samsung just fit. I was also thinking of pulling the furnace. I'm glad I didn't. I needed right around 70 in. I don't have 1/4 in to spare. What are you measuring from top of furnace to ceiling?
Ditto on Northernaire's solution. My furnace was Suburban. That is a ZERO clearance furnace--can mount DIRECTLY onto a wooden floor. You have to cut another outlet hole in the side of the coach and fashion a cover plate to cover the upper original hole. Still, I did not have 1/4" to spare in height when installing the fridge.

BUT IF YOU CONSIDER REMOVING THE FURNACE ALTOGETHER: Since installing the Samsung RF18, we have dry-camped in cold weather several times and never used the furnace. Because of the large battery draw-down of the furnace blower, I bought a Camco "Olympian" catalytic propane heater, 8000 BTU (as I recall). Does a wonderful job, has no pilot light, stores easily, and is absolutely silent. Leaving a small opening in two windows to allow for combustion air does not significantly diminish its heating ability. Had I known about this catalytic heater before the installation, I might have eliminated the furnace altogether. With the furnace underneath, the fridge is a bit high for short women like my wife.
__________________
Van W 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley
Southeastern NC
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdock View Post
I lowered the floor about 4 inches - just above the furnace and the fridge fit perfect - We live in Texas too and during the winter we use the furnace - especially to warm the bathroom before showers in the AM. I installed the samsung - fits great

Your ceiling height is 6" taller than mine which might explain why it fit so easily.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernaire View Post
I too was short of room. My furnace was on blocks so I lowered it to the floor ( had to reroute propane and water ). I put a 3/8 metal plate above the furnace. My Samsung just fit. I was also thinking of pulling the furnace. I'm glad I didn't. I needed right around 70 in. I don't have 1/4 in to spare. What are you measuring from top of furnace to ceiling?
My furnace is also on blocks. It's 10" tall when measuring from the floor. I though about removing the blocks but an unsure how I would keep it mounted to the exterior vent panel if it was lowered. The Norcold is coming out regardless. I guess I figure it out as I go.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Ditto on Northernaire's solution. My furnace was Suburban. That is a ZERO clearance furnace--can mount DIRECTLY onto a wooden floor. You have to cut another outlet hole in the side of the coach and fashion a cover plate to cover the upper original hole. Still, I did not have 1/4" to spare in height when installing the fridge.

BUT IF YOU CONSIDER REMOVING THE FURNACE ALTOGETHER: Since installing the Samsung RF18, we have dry-camped in cold weather several times and never used the furnace. Because of the large battery draw-down of the furnace blower, I bought a Camco "Olympian" catalytic propane heater, 8000 BTU (as I recall). Does a wonderful job, has no pilot light, stores easily, and is absolutely silent. Leaving a small opening in two windows to allow for combustion air does not significantly diminish its heating ability. Had I known about this catalytic heater before the installation, I might have eliminated the furnace altogether. With the furnace underneath, the fridge is a bit high for short women like my wife.
Thanks Van. That's the kind of info I am looking for.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
Member
 
Northernaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Menominee, MI
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
My furnace is also on blocks. It's 10" tall when measuring from the floor. I though about removing the blocks but an unsure how I would keep it mounted to the exterior vent panel if it was lowered. The Norcold is coming out regardless. I guess I figure it out as I go.
I had to refab the vent cover a bit, not a big deal. It's all worth it in the end.
__________________
Gene, Sherry and Buddy the Yellow Lab

2007 45' HR Navigator, 525 Cummins, 2010 Dodge Journey, ReadyBrute Elite
Northernaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
Member
 
Cusn Edy's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 72
I installed the F&P in our 2005 Cayman without much problem. I built a frame from angle iron that holds the lowered floor for the refrigerator 1/4" above the furnace. This gave me the exact height needed while still maintaining the 2" rail at the top of the cabinet the refrigerator fits in. We have used the furnace extensively since and no problems with cycling or overheating of the furnace. Total install time took a full day but it certainly wasn't complicated. If I had room, I would be surprised if you didn't.
Cusn Edy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:04 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernaire View Post
I had to refab the vent cover a bit, not a big deal. It's all worth it in the end.
When I strip the old one out I will see what I can do. Thanks for the input.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:05 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusn Edy View Post
I installed the F&P in our 2005 Cayman without much problem. I built a frame from angle iron that holds the lowered floor for the refrigerator 1/4" above the furnace. This gave me the exact height needed while still maintaining the 2" rail at the top of the cabinet the refrigerator fits in. We have used the furnace extensively since and no problems with cycling or overheating of the furnace. Total install time took a full day but it certainly wasn't complicated. If I had room, I would be surprised if you didn't.
According to the brochures your ceiling in 3" higher than mine. Does not sound like much but when you need every 1/4" it helps. Thanks for the input.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:17 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ramets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 2,527
My advice is measure, measure, then measure again. I seemed to come up with different numbers each time I measured when we put our Whirlpool in.
__________________

__________________
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ace, fridge, furnace, removal



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In-slide Norcold/Dometic fridge vs residential fridge abi2001 5th Wheel Discussion 13 05-22-2016 06:53 PM
Residential fridge over furnace in 2004 Diplomat DST (1.5 bath) tkcas01 Monaco Owner's Forum 55 08-17-2015 09:28 AM
Amana residential frig removal dennismhamm Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 6 05-13-2015 07:29 PM
Residential fridge/removing furnace lekhuset Monaco Owner's Forum 21 09-30-2011 02:42 PM
Boondock with residential-tytpe fridge? Gary RVRoamer Boondocking 3 04-19-2005 07:40 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×