Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #1

Furnace zone issue

Well we did our maiden voyage in our new to us 2004 38' Diplomat. Found a few minor concerns one of which I'm hoping you kind and knowledgable folks can help with. We have a duo-therm control pad for our heating and cooling with 2 zones(zone 1 living area, zone 2 is bathroom and bedroom). I get heat in zone 1 but zone 2 the fan kicks on for a few seconds blowing cold air then shuts off

We have hydro flame furnace. I have both zones set for furnace mode. I've seen a lot of discussion but mainly on Aqua heat systems so... Any ideas? I've opened up the furnace access panel outside and don't see any "switches" like the other threads describe.

Thanks
Jeff and Carol
J -n- C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I think the furnace is zone 1 only. The gas heater heats both room from the vents on the floor. If your talking about heat pump, they act like air conditioners.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #3

Reset the furnaces by turning them off at the thermostat. Have your wife turn it back on while you are standing at outside rear furnace exhaust. You will (should) hear the fan start. Within 15-20 seconds you should hear a clicking sound which is the furnace igniter. Then you should get a roar as the propane ignites. If you fail to hear the clicking sound the fan will shut off automatically which sounds like what is happening. There is a 'sail switch' that detects the air flow and turns on the igniter and the propane. It has probably failed. If the high limit switch has failed it will give the same symptoms. Both are a pretty easy fix, IF you can find and get to them.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
WE have 2 Duotherm AC/Heatpumps in our 2002 Windsor along with the furnace.

It depends on how yours is set up. In our case
Zone 1 is the bedroom
Zone 2 it the Living room/kitchen area

We can run either of these as a heat pump if we are hooked to 50 amp.

To get the furnace to actuate we have to set it on Zone 2 LR area.

Yours seem to be just the opposite

Are you trying to run your units as heat pumps???

You may try to reset the thermostat. Attached is a guide that shows how to trouble shoot for a 5 button thermostat unit and also how to reset thermostat.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Duotherm.pdf (672.6 KB, 90 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Reset the furnaces by turning them off at the thermostat. Have your wife turn it back on while you are standing at outside rear furnace exhaust. You will (should) hear the fan start. Within 15-20 seconds you should hear a clicking sound which is the furnace igniter. Then you should get a roar as the propane ignites. If you fail to hear the clicking sound the fan will shut off automatically which sounds like what is happening. There is a 'sail switch' that detects the air flow and turns on the igniter and the propane. It has probably failed. If the high limit switch has failed it will give the same symptoms. Both are a pretty easy fix, IF you can find and get to them.
Good tips. In addition, there is a flame sensor that detects if the gas ignited. It goes through a set startup sequence where it starts the fan, makes sure the sail switch says there is enough air movement, then turns on the gas and spark igniter, and verifies that the flame is lit. if there isn't enough air flow, or the sensor doesn't detect the flame, it shuts everything down.

You may find a manual for your particular model here: RV Furnaces - Atwood Mobile
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #6

Thanks

I think FireDoc hit it on the head my "sail switch" is bad. now if I can only find the darn thing ; )

Thanks for all the responses. Great forum for a Newbie to big rigs!

Jeff and Carol
Old 01-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
The sail switch is inside the heater. You need to take the furnace out it get to it. If the mail gas furnace is working, then it's OK. I don't think you said gas heat, or heat pump. Are you hooked up to shore power? If so, 50 or 30 amp?
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #8

Furnace zone issue

Just fixed a stuck sail switch today. Did not have to remove furnace in my coach.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420522866.842159.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	82750Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420522887.473185.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	82751
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
It could be that the sail switch is not working because the intake is clogged. Before taking the furnace apart, check for obstructions in the intake on the outside of the MH close to the furnace. Even a partial obstruction can keep it from lighting.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #10

Sail switch repair or replacement?

FireDoc,
Did you repair the switch or replace it? If you replaced it, where did you find a new one?
I'll try to get to mine this weekend if it's not pouring down rain here in Western Washington

Thanks for the pics. Very valuable.

Jeff and Carol

Tags
furnace