RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2020, 12:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Furnaces/Zones/Heat pump or ?????

After spending time and money on the front end we have made it to South Carolina, where the weather is great and we can relax, with no real serious steering concerns......it still isnít perfect, but felt much better.

Now my concern is over the heating systems. The manual says that if it is 40 degrees F and the thermostat is set for heat pump the ceiling a/c will work in reverse and produce some heat.......not happening.

So here is my inquiries.
There are 2 furnaces, one under the sink and one under the fridge.
There seems to be no reason why which one will operate or when.

IfI set the thermostat for zone 1or 2 the furnace under the fridge will work whether set to zone 1 or 2.
Then sometime in the night it will change over to the furnace under the sink.
I am beginning to think this motorhome is possessed, not by demons but by my ex-wife who would do everything in her power to screw my life up when ever she could.....LOL

Can anybody shed me some light on what should be happening and when.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
You are not going to get much heat, if any, at or below 40 degF from a heat pump.

Look at the link below it may help you somewhat.

Also read everything you can on this IRV2 forum about your HVAC systems. Knowledge of your unit is essential, lack of knowledge is frustrating and costly.

Post #29
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/some...ml#post5120677

2004 Travel Supreme Select 45DSO4
Towing 2018 Ford Flex 4 down
Jarhead 67-71
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #3

Can we assume you have propane furnaces and not Aquahot?
If you don't know the difference, Aquahot uses diesel and electric to heat a boiler which circulates heated water to registers in the coach, Propane is typically forced air similar to a traditional home forcing air through ducts from 1 or 2 furnaces. There are some propane Hydrohot systems out there though.

Do you have the 4 or 5 button thermostats and how many do you have?

The heat pump selection is made on the thermostat and says Heat pump when selected. It runs just like the roof air but as you stated, the pump circulates the Freon backwards in the system which allows heat to be put into the coach instead of cooled air.
This will function until a temperature sensor in the roof AC unit determines that it is to cold outside to be efficient and then without you asking, automatically switches the heat pump off and the furnace on until such time that the outside temperature increases to a suitable heat pump operable range.
Further, thermostats with multiple zones such as zone 1 and 2 (of this vintage coach anyway) must have the same basic function selected on both thermostats.
This means you can't have heat pump selected on zone 1 and Air Conditioning selected on zone 2.
So, make sure both zones are set to the same function (heat pump) and if the furnace under the sink or whatever comes on during the night, go look at the thermostat and it will tell you if heat pump is selected or furnace.
I would be it is switching to furnace due to the outside temps.
Windecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkey View Post
After spending time and money on the front end we have made it to South Carolina, where the weather is great and we can relax, with no real serious steering concerns......it still isnít perfect, but felt much better.

Now my concern is over the heating systems. The manual says that if it is 40 degrees F and the thermostat is set for heat pump the ceiling a/c will work in reverse and produce some heat.......not happening.

So here is my inquiries.
There are 2 furnaces, one under the sink and one under the fridge.
There seems to be no reason why which one will operate or when.

IfI set the thermostat for zone 1or 2 the furnace under the fridge will work whether set to zone 1 or 2.
Then sometime in the night it will change over to the furnace under the sink.
I am beginning to think this motorhome is possessed, not by demons but by my ex-wife who would do everything in her power to screw my life up when ever she could.....LOL

Can anybody shed me some light on what should be happening and when.

Thanks in advance.
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Both zones are set to furnace and at same temperature. But what exactly are the zones?
Are they front & back, furnace to furnace?
Old 01-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #5

Zones should be front and back of coach, normally zone one is front.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #6

I have found that the temp outside needs to be above 40 degrees for the heat pump to be of any use. We have 4 zones and aqua-hot, so not the same as yours. The heat pumps work well but you need to have enough "heat" to pull out of the outside air. My system will not revert to furnace automatically if the heat pump is not putting out hot air. We have found that the zones seem to almost have a mind of their own at times.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Zones should be front and back of coach, normally zone one is front.
What about the 2 furnaces, do they have any affect on the zones?

If zones are front and back then how does the thermostat work for both zones?

Is the Ďthermostatí outside the bathroom door controlling the heat anywhere, because I have had it set to Ďoffí since day one.

I really need someone that knows how the Monaco furnace system works.

Is there anyone on here like that?
Old 01-29-2020, 01:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I also wondered about that on our Monaco with two furnaces and one thermostat - then you throw in three heat pumps up top and ????

But if you look closely around your coach, you will find small sensors in multiple places that 'sense' the temp in that area... (Should look like the pic below)

Our thermostat has three 'zones', labeled 1 for front, 2 for mid, and 3 for rear...
Really don't know if ours auto switches from heat pump to furnace as I've never tried it - don't want to test it one night and freeze my posterior off if it doesn't switch!

if below 45, just set the 'function' switch to lp heat and the zones to the temp you want and enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TempSensorCovers.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	273567  
Old 01-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
What about the 2 furnaces, do they have any affect on the zones?

If zones are front and back then how does the thermostat work for both zones?

Is the Ďthermostatí outside the bathroom door controlling the heat anywhere, because I have had it set to Ďoffí since day one.

I really need someone that knows how the Monaco furnace system works.

Is there anyone on here like that?
Sorry Farkey, I don't have propane furnaces, but I'm going to guess, unless that thermostat outside the bathroom is simply a controller for the bathroom fan, it probably should control one of your furnaces.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I also wondered about that on our Monaco with two furnaces and one thermostat - then you throw in three heat pumps up top and ????

But if you look closely around your coach, you will find small sensors in multiple places that 'sense' the temp in that area... (Should look like the pic below)

Our thermostat has three 'zones', labeled 1 for front, 2 for mid, and 3 for rear...
Really don't know if ours auto switches from heat pump to furnace as I've never tried it - don't want to test it one night and freeze my posterior off if it doesn't switch!

if below 45, just set the 'function' switch to lp heat and the zones to the temp you want and enjoy...
Thanks JohnBoy, I now have the temperature on both zones set the same and both furnaces come on together and thatís okay. I did find one of those sensors in the rear of the coach which I presume controls zone 2, the rear ???.
But how I canít figure that out since both furnaces are in the middle of the coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Sorry Farkey, I don't have propane furnaces, but I'm going to guess, unless that thermostat outside the bathroom is simply a controller for the bathroom fan, it probably should control one of your furnaces.
Thatís a good thought Wideglide, but how it would control it is a mystery. The thermostat is the old style with a lever on the right side that goes up & down from 60 to 90 degrees and off.

Someone knows exactly how it works and why.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:47 AM   #11

Your zone 1 is likely the front and zone 2 the rear.

Zone 2 is very likely sending information to the thermostat from the sensor you found and zone 1 is very likely the thermostat itself, no additional sensor.

Simply adjust ONE of the zones up several degrees and see which furnace kicks on.
Then turn it back down, let the furnace cycle off. Then repeat this test for the opposite zone and the opposite furnace should run

Heat pumps and Air conditioners have time delays built into them so it takes longer if using either of those functions for this test. Somewhere around 2 minutes delay and as much as 5 minutes.

The furnace typically is pretty fast to turn on, sometimes a 30 second delay or so.
Windecker

[QUOTE=Farkey;5128744]Thanks JohnBoy, I now have the temperature on both zones set the same and both furnaces come on together and thatís okay. I did find one of those sensors in the rear of the coach which I presume controls zone 2, the rear ???.
But how I canít figure that out since both furnaces are in the middle of the coach.
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a manual for your coach?

https://www.monacocoach.com/resource...2_Diplomat.pdf
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks

I think you might be obsessing a bit Just make it work for now and get the masters degree in it later

where the thermostat and furnace itself is really doesn't in most cases, it's the sensors and the ducting that measures the need for a temp rise and ducting to direct the flow to where it needs to go...

good luck..
Old 01-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I think you might be obsessing a bit Just make it work for now and get the masters degree in it later

where the thermostat and furnace itself is really doesn't in most cases, it's the sensors and the ducting that measures the need for a temp rise and ducting to direct the flow to where it needs to go...

good luck..

Agree^^

You learned a lot from this thread, including that the thermostat on the wall, unlike at home, has no part in sensing when the furnace or A/C will activate. The remote sensors control the ON/OFF cycling of the devices.

Just an aside, I find no real logic, other than general location, for the position of the sensors. My zone 1 is located in a relatively "dead zone" for air circulation and close to the large windshield. The zone 2 is located near the middle of the rear bedroom, in a cabinet face away from the windows and sidewalls. Needless to say, zone 2 operates much less than zone 1. That's just the nature of the beast.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, heat, heat pump