Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fusable link on Engine Battery

I keep blowing the Fusable link on Engine Battery. What size fuse should this be? and what is it for?
I have the same type for the House batteries and it is 20 amp fuse.
The first one I replaced for the engine battery was 10 then a 15. I just want to know what size it should be and what it's for.
See pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Fuse.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	272790   Click image for larger version

Name:	House Batteries.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	272791  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #2

It depends on the wire gauge. If you can find that, you can fuse up to its rating.

Fuses protect the wire from overheating and melting the insulation, and then starting a fire.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It depends on the wire gauge. If you can find that, you can fuse up to its rating.

Fuses protect the wire from overheating and melting the insulation, and then starting a fire.
Do you know what it should be powering?
Old 01-21-2020, 06:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Looking at the 2001 Dynasty wiring diagram, the only fuses (not fusible link) I see near the batteries are two 15 Amp for ECM. Everything else (except house 12V panel located inside) uses circuit breakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2001 Monaco wiring 1.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	272836  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:22 AM   #5

Looks like you’re in good hands and as stated by others I don’t see a fusible link in the electrical diagram nor the pictures posted, I do see an ATC style fuse holder for a 15 amp fuse.

Fusible links are used in most cases for protection from the battery supply to the fuse holder or the power distribution center.

The purpose of my post is take a close look at the blown fuse ….how the fuse has blown and how it looks can be very helpful in a diagnosis.

If the fuse blew like a old camera Flash Bulb ( remember those?) and no signs of heat… just a blown wire in the fuse? ..then the circuit was quickly and severely overloaded like perhaps a power supply wire shorting to ground.

On the other hand if the fuse looks to be discolored and the fuse wire end melted the this would indicate the fuse was most likely overloaded over a long period of time and most likely will be a component connected on that electrical circuit and is starting to fail.

Happy Hunting
Old 01-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #6

CountryB got you covered

1. Engine ECM
2. Transmission ECM

They should not be blowing???
Further investigation needed.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have any warning lights or engine or trans problems. Could this be charge wire for the battery?
Old 01-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Unlikely. A 15A or 20A fuse would be too small for a charging circuit.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Looking at the 2001 Dynasty wiring diagram, the only fuses (not fusible link) I see near the batteries are two 15 Amp for ECM. Everything else (except house 12V panel located inside) uses circuit breakers.
Hi Mike, I have a ISC engine the wiring diagram is for a ISM or ISX...don't know if they are the same.
I still have my HWH air leveling controller out to HWH being fixed...but I can't think of anything there that could being blowing fuses. It seems to be a fast pop because there is a big gap in the fuse. Only happens after the key is turned on.

How many amps to the air valves pull?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
Hi Mike, I have a ISC engine the wiring diagram is for a ISM or ISX...don't know if they are the same.
I still have my HWH air leveling controller out to HWH being fixed...but I can't think of anything there that could being blowing fuses. It seems to be a fast pop because there is a big gap in the fuse. Only happens after the key is turned on.

How many amps to the air valves pull?
Following this thought I put in a 20 amp fuse (the same as the house batteries)
That was it. I have the travel valves jumped to "Keyed power". (while the HWH controller is out being fixed) I started the coach and when the air came up it came right up to the ride height...and no blown fuse.

Thank you guys for the input.

Tags
battery, engine