RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #1

fyi cumming asg 30w

i finally got my auto start installed and it is working fine, comes on when the batteries get down to 11.5 to 12.1 volts and shuts off when the batteries are at 13.1 for 30 minutes. the only problem was that my generator is started by the chassis battery there fore the unit would monitor the wrong battery. i did not want to do major changes with battery cables so we ran the monitor wire to the hot side of the steps and it works fine...if your motor home starts the with the house batteries you are home free. hope this info will help someone with a install .
thanks;
jim d

jldacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim....Good job, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I would think that the way it was working was correct. You want the auto start to monitor the coach batteries to keep everything powered up. The generator needs to start with the engine battery so that when the coach batteries get low, the engine battery can start the generator. The auto start is there to keep the coach batteries charged, not the engine battery. Once the generator starts, it will charge the coach batteries and then top off the engine batteries.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #3

Your batteries will not last long if you frequently discharge them down to 11.5 volts.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #4

the instructions from cummings is to have the generator starting off the house batteries, the way it is suppose to be wired up is that the system is wired to the hot side of the generator and in that way the auto start can tell what condition the batteries are in. in my coach the generator is wired to the chassis battery and i did not want to move the wiring around in the back of the coach so i ran the power wire to the hot side of the step which is off the house batteries and it works fine.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

my coach will be in storage for around 3 months when we will head back to texas, so it only gets down to 11.5 once in a while and when it does the auto start kicks in and gets the batteries back up.
thanks;
jim d
Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldacus View Post
the instructions from cummings is to have the generator starting off the house batteries,
I've not seen any instructions that say that. Cummins has never built or wired an RV and I'm sure Onan generators have a wide variety of applications. I know for sure how Monaco wired the auto start on our 2002 Dynasty and our 2006 Signature. Monaco wired the auto start to be triggered off the house batteries and started off the chassis batteries.

When boon-docking it is possible that quiet time or failure to monitor the house battery voltage results in a near flat battery bank. It is assumed that the chassis battery bank would be able to start the generator and recharge the house battery bank.

If an Onan generator is used on a single bank system, then obviously it would be monitoring the bank of batteries that would be relied on to start it. That's different.

There are certainly some Monaco RVs that were wired differently, especially those models that do not use the Roadmaster "S" chassis. I'm not sure if those were abnormalities or intentional. They definitely are inconsistencies.

Bottom line - do it the way you want it, just realize the pros and cons.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #7

in the instructions that come with the remote auto start it says to disconnect the ground side of the house batteries and then try to start the generator, if it starts the generator is wired to the chassis battery and the system will monitor the chassis battery not the house batteries, that is how my monaco dynasty is wired and i did not want to do major wiring changes in the back so i just run i hot wire to the step terminal and that works fine. by the way i do not think you reply was not very nice perhaps you should think how your word hit other people. i thought this form was suppose to help other people not put them down.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #8

Sorry - did not mean to sound short. I apologize for that.

What you just said will certainly determine what battery bank is powering the Onan generator starter but will not determine what is used to trigger the auto start.

My auto start monitors the battery voltage and pulls the reading from the cable that goes to the inverter, therefore the house bank. The Onan generator starter recieves its power from the front run bay terminal connected to the chassis battery.

If you have your complete Dynasty wiring diagrams, you should be able to confirm that.

Again, sorry for the way it sounded. That was not my intention, but please realize that Monaco, not Onan wires our coach and the power to the starter may indeed be different from the power that the AGS monitors to trigger the start.

Peace!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Jim

Glad you got that thing working the way you want it to.

jack r
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim.....I may have misread what you wrote. Are your steps powered by the coach or chassis batteries?. If coach, I was wrong, you're reading the correct batteries for the auto start.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #11

thank you for your response, where is wired in now monitors the house batteries and when the voltage hit between 11.5 and 12.1 it started the generator and ran till the voltage hit 13.1 for 30 minutes. all of the programmed voltage and times can be adjusted on both ends i just have it set to factory defaults at present.
thanks again and have a great summer
jim d