RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
FYI Rear Radiator owners

We developed an oil leak a few years back and after repairing it I cleaned the radiator and CAC. We went to Alaska and got on some very nasty roads dust wise. On the way back we started developing overheating trouble and I washed the radiator in a campground in Calgary. On the way to Montana we still had overheating issues although there was some improvement. At a campground in Helena I used a garden sprayer and hose wan sticking them thru the fan blades to wash the radiator and CAC. There was an improvement but the coach still did not cool like it did before the oil leak. Next I replaced all the hoses, thermostat, and the coolant and cleaned the radiator again. Additional improvement but still did not cool as it should and would overheat on grades. I saw the recent post where a guy recommended using a commercial foaming coil cleaner and thought I would give that a try. I purchased it but still have not used it. Plan to tomorrow after I pull the coach out of the garage. I just could not convince myself that it would take care of the problem and decided to first pull the CAC so I could see the other side of the radiator and do a better job of cleaning it. That happens tomorrow. Thought some of you might be interested in what the other side looks like. There is just no way to get a radiator clean with the usual cleaning methods after you have had an oil leak. I was surprised to find that the CAC was in worse shape than the radiator.

The first photo is the CAC.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAC plugged.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	299700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corner and bottom grove trash.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	299701  

Name:	Radiator.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	299702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trash stuck in corner.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	299703  

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Wow! Thats nasty. I'm surprised it wasn't over heading on the flats.

Tim
Timaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

I agree looks very nasty, looks like someone might have used high pressure to clean and ended up doing damage to fin openings.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It is still dark here at the house so I have not started on cleaning the CAC and radiator yet. So thought I would add a little more information just in case others plan to pull their CAC. First it is one hell of a job for a 74 year old and not for the faint of heart. As with many things Monaco screwed up on the opening size on the rear cap and the CAC cannot be pulled straight back to get it out of the coach. I had to learn this the hard way as I do most things. I made the mistake of starting inside the coach and removing the closet doors and both engine floor covers. I managed to get the clamps removed (thanks Van for the tool recommendation) from the CAC tubes on both sides of the unit leaving the 8 inch rubber flex joints and clamps at the CAC input and output tubes in place. Then I went to the rear where I had already removed all the bolts and C-channels. Tugged on the CAC and managed to get the hoses to pull off of the steel pipes. That was when I realized my mistake because there was no way the CAC was coming out with the 8 inch rubber hoses and clamps still attached. That is when I ended up removing the two hoses from the outside, both side panels, and all the mounting brackets so the CAC could be twisted in the opening and worked out at an angle. Obviously when Monaco dropped the house on the chassis they did not give any consideration to future maintenance of the cooling system. If I ever have to do this again I will know that it is not even necessary to go inside the coach and all the work can be done from the rear.

Bob
Old 09-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Those look really “nice” (lol).

Trust me, it doesn’t take an oil leak to clog up a rear radiator/CAC. Just the drip from the slobber tube can cause issues. Been there with you.
98 Overland, 8.3L Cummins and Alison 6-speed. Overheating issues, similar to yours.

I dropped the radiator and CAC out to clean. Ended up having to drop them down and rotate to flat to get them out. Mine were not as dirty as yours, but needed cleaning. I did thermostats, new water pump seal, new serpentine belt and several hoses while I was there.
Consider adding a slobber tube extension to the rear bumper, or adding a slobber tube jar. These will stop oil from getting onto the radiator/CAC. Without some type of moisture, flying dust will pass through, without sticking.

A word of warning, be extra careful when reinstalling them. I managed to nick the radiator putting it back in. Didn’t see the damage until I refilled. At that point, had to drain, remove both again, get radiator repaired and reinstall both, again.
Also, be sure to get all the clamps tight. Recheck them after your next run, too. Blew the top radiator hose off about 1 year ago while driving down the highway. Clamp was still on the hose!

In the end, was totally worth all the work. I did ours about 5 years ago. (Wow, it’s been that long). Made a huge difference in engine temps. We’ve run in 100 degree weather, climbing mountains, and managed to stay cool and keep moving.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We just traveled over to Maggie Valley from home and I am happy to report that all the work has paid off big time. The highest temp I saw was 191 for a few seconds on a long hill. Most of the time the temp is not even high enough to open the thermostat at 185 and the transmission never went over 179. Another benefit was a significant increase in power which I attribute to cooler air at the engine intake. The CAC was about 50 % blocked from all the oil and dirt. We have suffered with this for years now and should have pulled the CAC long ago.

Bob
Old 09-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,
Good to hear and the road from Knoxville to Maggie Valley did definitely provide a good test.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Great job Bob!
Old 09-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Glad you are back to running cool. Nice work!
Old 09-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What commercial foaming coil cleaner did they suggest, I am looking to try that method first. Thanks
Flyerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerone View Post
What commercial foaming coil cleaner did they suggest, I am looking to try that method first. Thanks
This video is where I got the information. In the notes he gives the commercial brands of coil cleaning solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=LPUv1TmLC-8

This is the one I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob
Old 09-15-2020, 06:38 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Rear radiator

After having overheating problems while in AK in 2013, I had the Radiator and CAC taken out for cleaning by Freightliner in Anchorage. Since then I have had the Radiator and CAC steam cleaned almost every year by my local Freightliner shop, while in for annual service. In 2019 I again had overheating problems, heading back home to AZ.
Had the rear end pulled off again and this is what it looked like after six years of annual steam cleaning.

Name:	Aircooler FromBruce.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	301122

Name:	RadiatorFromBruce.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	301123

So, steam cleaning seems like a waste of time and money. If your engine starts overheating, have the radiator and CAC pulled and get it done right. $2000 later, you should be good for another 5-6 years.
I have had no oil leaks or other contributing factors. This is just road dirt picked up by the rear tires and very efficiently blown thru the radiator and CAC by the fan.
To me, it is a pretty lousy design. Maybe a side radiator is better??
Nalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have had overheating issues since I purchased my 2005 Diplomat. Everything has been done except replace the radiator. The radiator has not been pulled out and cleaned. What is the CAC?
I have been told now the next step is do a flow test on the system. Any suggestions.
stevestancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:31 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Charge air cooler (CAC).

An intercooler, or "charge-air cooler", is an air-to-air or air-to-liquid heat exchange device used on turbocharged and supercharged (forced induction) internal combustion engines to improve their volumetric efficiency by increasing intake air-charge density through isochoric cooling.

Tags
radiator, rear