Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #1

Gauges not working properly

I have an 02 Monaco signature. It has the 500 cummins engine. Last week I noticed that the oil gauge was all the way to the right. Sometimes it will come back to the center and then pegs out all the way to the right. Now last night the transmission and turbo gauge are all the way to the left and not working. Any ideas?
skidboot28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Bad Ground. Start checking the ground (generally a white wire) that is daisy chained between gauges. Also check where they are connected to the chassis ground. Loose ground is the most common problem for multiple gauge malfunction.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #3

Thank you! I have checked the grounds and they all look good. I am getting ready to check the batteries. All batteries except one were replaced 4 months ago. I am up at some big rodeos this weekend and do not want to get out on the road only to have the whole thing shut down on me due to these gauges. Is there any risk in that? I will have horses in the trailer and it is too hot to set on the side of the road waiting for help. Thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think you will have the engine shut down due to the reading or lack thereof on your gauges. Did you use an Ohm meter and test the ground? Mine looked alright also but still my gauges failed. You have to find the ground source that feeds the gauges from the frame and trace it to each gauge. The gauges that are failing is NOT where the ground is loose. It will be an adjacent gauge that is in the daisy chain.

Good luck at the Rodeo

Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if Rex or anyone else would agree with me here and please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're in a pinch and you can't find the problem before you have to leave, you could attach a wire with alligator clips on each end and attach one end to the ground screw of one of your gauges (where the white wires are connected to) and attach the other end to the steering column frame. This would only be a temporary fix, but it might get you back in the drivers seat without worrying about what's going on with your coach on your trip home. One of our guys on this forum did this to troubleshoot / resolve an issue with fluctuating gauges.
gprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #6

Thanks a million!!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #7

I had the same kind of problem. It was a bad ground. Or should I say a poor ground. My solution was to run a 12 ga ground wire from the dash cluster to chassie ground. Solved a lot of problems including dim dash lights and a waving speedodometer.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #8

OK I just figured out that it only does it when the lights are on. Does that make since? The lights surge a little, not much and then ten or so seconds the gauges go screwy. Had the alternator checked and it is good. Really frustrating.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, if you have the problem when the lights are on, it is definitely a bad ground. Garry nailed it - use a wire with alligator clips on each end with one connected to good ground. Do some probing with that and you should be able to find the problem.

Since the lights being on cause the problem, the bad ground may be somewhere other than the instrument panel, but should be near it.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #10

skidboot, You could spend a lot of time hunting down the ground problem. I think it is really a design problem from Monaco. They loop the ground around all over the dash and only connect it to ground at one place. As I said, I just added an additional 12 ga. ground wire from the dash to a good chassis ground point. I think I used a ground post on the back of either the tach or the speedo. Check your wiring diagram. It was an easy place to attach to. Be sure to use the right size crimp-on wire terminals. The new additional ground solved many problems.
Good luck,
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote