Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #1

Gen. auto start

Good Evening, Just wondering if anyone has added the generator auto start feature after the fact ? And what it entailed. Parts and so on. I have a 05 ambassador and I know the wiring is all there. Just curious. Thought I would like to do this add on some time if it was not cost prohibitive .Also if anyone has had issues with this feature in their rigs. Have a great night.

jeff
Poppa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #2

Look at the Magnum stand alone AGS. It works with many generators. Download the manual to see if it will work with yours.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You say all of the wiring is there, do you know which AGS system it is intended for? Knowing that may give some better answers.

If you have an Onan generator set, you might want to look at their add-on solution: Cummins Onan RV Generator Energy Command AutoStart Control
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Whatever you do, make sure installation instructions are followed. I had mine factory installed and they put it on the outside wall, against recommendations. Every time the sun hit the side of the coach, the generator started. Finally had the sensor system altered and it works great now. Finding the sweet spot for the low voltage sensor is a trick, but once you find it .
Nitanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I added an cummins-onan 30W
It took 10 minutes to install. It works great. It has a quiet time mode, temperature control and low battery turn on. I use it all the time.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #6

I installed one in my rig several years ago and have never used it.
You need one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Energy-...androidbeat-20
and one of these
http://www.amazon.com/MAGNUM-MAGN-ME...Remote+Control

Takes a couple hours to install.

Here is another option
Cummins Onan Energy Command 30W
Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had a AGS system on my 2002 Windsor, however, it would not have the auto start feature for high coach temperature. Since we travel with dogs my wife was always concerned so I installed the Onan 30W system.

Easy installed add a wiring harness with control box near the generator and then you and then the remote until should be installed to a none inverter plug so that if power goes off the generator will sense this and start generator if the temp parameter is met.

The system works OK, however, it does give me the "Reestablishing Communication" message occasionally. I moved the remote unit closer to the front of the coach which seemed to help but still get message. If I continue to have a problem I will move the remote right to the front dash above the generator control box.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
Perhaps you never go dry camping? I do a lot of dry camping, and rely on the AGS to keep the batteries up. Wouldn't want to be without it. I have the same Magnum setup as you reference, which came factory installed. It does work well, but would work even better with their Battery Monitor Kit (ME-BMK)

The Magnum AGS (and the Onan EC-30W) will trigger the generator if the battery voltage falls below a certain threshold. This is not really a reliable indicator of the battery's state of charge, it's only really meaningful if there is no load on the battery. The voltage on a battery will drop under load, especially if it's a heavy load. For example, my wife using the hair dryer on the inverter for 30 seconds will almost always trigger the AGS, even if the batteries are almost full. By adding the BMK, which tracks the actual state of charge by monitoring the cumulative current in and out of the battery, the AGS can start the generator when the actual state of charge gets low enough (regardless of a temporary load-induced voltage dip) and stop it when the state of charge gets high enough (instead of always running it for a fixed length of time.)

The Magnum AGS is a nice system, but can get pricey if you don't already have the remote control. And it gets really pricey with the BMK. Of course, the Onan EC-30W isn't cheap either, but the installation may be simpler?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
You need one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Energy-...androidbeat-20
and one of these
http://www.amazon.com/MAGNUM-MAGN-ME...Remote+Control

Takes a couple hours to install.

Here is another option
Cummins Onan Energy Command 30W
If you have a Magnum inverter/charger these are the right parts. If you don't have a Magnum inverter/charger then this is the one you need: http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Energy-...QG1BAE881FNEN9 This does not require a remote panel.

Although the Magnum is an easy install, the Onan unit may be even easier. I have no experience with the Onan unit, so I'm just guessing it might be easier.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #10

auto gen start

Thank you to all who posted info. I really appreciate all of the information and experience sharing. I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do when I get to it . A little research with the given info. and I think I am on the right track. Thanks to all and have a great Christmas and even better new year.
Jeff
Poppa J is offline   Reply With Quote