Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #15

If anyone has ever accessed there lift pump. That would be very interesting . If I ever access mine I will keep you all posted. LOL
rory .miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory .miller View Post
I pulled the blink code it was 36. Not much help, pretty much ck everything and fix everything. LOL I got a hold of Onan Tech support. Keith was very nice and he sent me PDF a service Manuel. The Manuel says you can replace the pump from below but I don't see where that access is. I want to test to see if the pump has power before trying to R&R the pump how every wire in there is BLACK. well thanks for the help everyone I'll keep plugging away. OH Onan sells the pump for $97.00

I had what sounds like the exact same experience and turned out that I had a bad fuel pump. Bad news is how hard that SOB was to get to. Good luck
Sarge77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Generator

Mine did it when I had it set up for dry camping. I had the autostart/stop set up to stop at a voltage or state of charge was seen. It was shutting down because that’s how I had set it up;(.
Easy fix though
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #18

What a bummer!

On mine, I have to hold the button in prime for 3 or so seconds before the prime pump actuates, it does not come on instantly like you would expect. It is pretty obvious when it is running meaning you can hear it ticking away even with the access door installed.

Also runs when you push the start button while the unit is heating the glow plugs, or it does on ours anyway.

Just FYI in case you did not know that
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory .miller View Post
Thanks Steve, I removed the fuel line from the injector pump pressed the prime button at the start switch. NO noise of a pump, and zero fuel. There is no access door for the pump at the side, back, or bottom. Onan was really thinking there. So I guess I will have to remove the top. Even doing that access to the pump is not going to be fun. I wounder if there is a fuse to that pump. I have a full schematic of the rig. But I don't see anything for the generator
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #19

To the OP... is your generator on a slide? Code 36 means that the generator stopped without a command. I had a similar problem and changed the filters etc, without any success. Finally, I noticed that the rubber fuel line had a drop of diesel on it. The fuel line we being flexed as the genset was moved in and out on the slide. That flexing caused the rubber line to develop cracks which caused the line to airlock. It would run for a short time and then stop. Replacing the cracked section of line fixed the problem.

Dick L. ‘04 Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #20

generator

Thanks good idea. I will inspect the entire fuel line. However I think I would still here the fuel pump if it was pumping
Old 02-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
After 5 coaches with 10 and 12.5 gensets I simply run a separate wire from the dash on a lighted switch direct to the power wire on the lift fuel pump.

Every single genset eventually had a bad computer board that always failed at the lift pump connection. Rather than replace the board each time, I simply wire a separate circuit into the wire for the lift pump.

When I flip the switch I can hear the lift pump running, when I turn off the switch it stops ( even when it is supposed to keep running by the computer board ).

I did this on the new coach at least a year before the problem started.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 American Eagle View Post
After 5 coaches with 10 and 12.5 gensets I simply run a separate wire from the dash on a lighted switch direct to the power wire on the lift fuel pump.

Every single genset eventually had a bad computer board that always failed at the lift pump connection. Rather than replace the board each time, I simply wire a separate circuit into the wire for the lift pump.

When I flip the switch I can hear the lift pump running, when I turn off the switch it stops ( even when it is supposed to keep running by the computer board ).

I did this on the new coach at least a year before the problem started.
That’s good to know.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #23

Your pump is not getting 12 volts, check that first. It's tough to get to. I had to take off almost all the covers to get to it. Like 05 American said, install a switch to put 12 good volts straight to the pump. If that's the problem. Mine did the same thing. It took quite a while to figure it out with a diesel mechanic. After getting the $300 dollar switch installed ($10 dollar switch, $290 in labor), I tried the dash switch just for the heck of it and the gen started. I have never had to use that standby switch since. But, should that gen not start again, that switch will be the first thing I try. That pump is not easy to get to, a real pain. Must have been about 40 screws holding the covers on. It's a cheap fix if that's your problem. I took the 12 volts from the hot cable going to the starter where the cable bolts to the outside of the gen shell and the switch is mounted along side the switch on the gen.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #24

Smile Generator Pain

Thanks alot, as soon as it stops raining and drys up a bit I will get back on it .I will test it with a 12 volt power source I kinda hope its not the pump ?????????? Or maybe not. It's been raining for about 3 days. and it looks like we got about 7 more days coming. Stay dry
Old 02-07-2019, 07:50 PM   #25

I had the same problem with a 6.3 KW NLE Green Emerald series (two cylinder air cooled direct drive four pole (1800 rpm) LP fueled) unit. After much trouble shooting from a service manual (available on the web) traced it to a failing voltage regulator (sounded just like fuel starvation). Another source for good troubleshooting information and discounted aftermarket parts is Advanced
Service and Parts, LLC; dba Index of / Be careful around the stator output when the unit is running, there is enough voltage and more than enough current to more than ruin your day. Take care and “Happy Motoring!”
v/r,

W Taylor Hudson, Jr.
Black Creek, Florida (Jacksonville)
Clemson University class of ‘80
1998 Safari Serengeti (40’ DP)
(1997) Caterpillar 3126, 7.2L, 300 HP, 800 ft-lbs @ 1440RPM,
first generation HEUI direct injection
Allison 3060 six speed “World” transmission
Magnum chassis (Goodrich Velvet Ride rubber block torsion suspension)
FPengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #26

Good morning I'm sorry to say but there has not been enough dry days to continue repairing the generator. We are looking at another week of rain
Old 02-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #27

I have changed my fuel pump on the 7.5 and I accessed it though the oil and fuel
filter hatch. It is easy to get at and change. I have had problems with my generator
stopping and after a few times it will then run OK. Where do you access the computor
board.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #28

Our 08 dynasty has a 10 Onan. But the engine is not Isuzu. It is a Kubota.. So far no pump problems.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator