Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #1

Generator

Does anyone know where I could get an inverter assembly tested and repaired if bad? It is a 300-5295-96 which according to Onan has been replaced by 300-6058-02. Per the Onan tech rep he said I need a new Inverter assembly. I pulled it off the engine and just visually looking at it does not show any damage. So I would like to have it tested prior to buying new one. The generator is a 8HDKAK-1046K in a 2207 Diplomat 40SKQ. Fault code is 15. Any sources would be appreciated.
klcdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The interior of that inverter assembly contains two motherboards and a few capacitors. I even sent my board out to an electronics shop. They came back saying everything they can test came back fine. Any fault would be in a logic chip which is unavailable. No new parts are available and at least when I was looking no one Remanufactured the units. I was told they used to but, even Onan had so many issues that they stopped Remanufacturing them. I bought a new inverter from cummins power south in West Palm beach Florida.
Good luck

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #3

Onan QD8000 Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klcdenver View Post
Does anyone know where I could get an inverter assembly tested and repaired if bad? It is a 300-5295-96 which according to Onan has been replaced by 300-6058-02. Per the Onan tech rep he said I need a new Inverter assembly. I pulled it off the engine and just visually looking at it does not show any damage. So I would like to have it tested prior to buying new one. The generator is a 8HDKAK-1046K in a 2207 Diplomat 40SKQ. Fault code is 15. Any sources would be appreciated.
How did you find out the inverter assembly was the problem? Mine died this past weekend and shows fault code 15. When I start it, it cranks, fires, then dies immediately. How hard was it to pull the inverter?

Thanks!
Timmaaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If your generator is shutting down as soon as it takes a load make sure you don't have your gen start option turned on. If your batteries are charged it will shut down. Had this happen to me.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
If your generator is shutting down as soon as it takes a load make sure you don't have your gen start option turned on. If your batteries are charged it will shut down. Had this happen to me.
Thanks, but I’m pretty sure this isn’t the problem. It shuts down well before any load kicks in. Dies within 1 second every time. Pretty sure it’s the logic board within the inverter assembly.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #6

I took my generator to a Cummins/Onan shop in Omaha for diagnostic. I wanted to make sure that I was buying the correct part. I have a Fault Code 11 and 15. They are saying I need a new stator and not a convertor assembly like the Onan tech told me on the phone. Really frustrating when you are getting 2 different diagnostics from Onan and either part is over 1,000. Neither part is returnable because they are electrical.

Why would a stator on diesel generator keep it from starting with the breaker turned off?

2007 Diplomat 40SKQ
Old 07-17-2020, 01:26 AM   #7

Quote:
I took my generator to a Cummins/Onan shop in Omaha for diagnostic. I wanted to make sure that I was buying the correct part. I have a Fault Code 11 and 15. They are saying I need a new stator and not a convertor assembly like the Onan tech told me on the phone. Really frustrating when you are getting 2 different diagnostics from Onan and either part is over 1,000. Neither part is returnable because they are electrical.

Why would a stator on diesel generator keep it from starting with the breaker turned off?
http://onan.xmsi.net/981-0522%20Onan...0(06-2010).pdf

Troubleshooting is section 18. I just skimmed part of the diagnostic code table and you have 2 problems (11 and 15). 11 is overcurrent fault (AC output short); 15 is inverter underfrequency fault. My guess is the stator short shuts the engine down and because it never came up to speed, it throws the frequency error. I'm not an Onan tech, so I'd ask them if that scenario is plausible... The stator is an expensive job, what kind of estimate did they give you? For comparison, a new Onan 80HDKAK... is around $9,500 plus labor. I'm guessing stator, inverter/controller, and labor will be half that. How many hours on your genset?
Old 07-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:

I ordered an inverter yesterday. I resistance tested my stator and it checked out. Repair manual for code 15 says controller (which is inside the inverter module). I’ll post my results after I do the swap. Hope I don’t need to do the stator as well. 2 grand for the inverter, think the stator is like another 1250 and more work than the inverter to swap.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:39 PM   #9

It is going to cost about 2,100. The stator is just over a 1,000. I only went to Cummins because it involves electrical parts which are non-returnable if that is not the right part. Cummins originally wanted about 2,700 and we went round and round and I finally got them to reduce the price. It is suppose to be ready Monday. I will post after I
get it back with actual results. This genny showed to have 713 hours on it.

2007 Diplomat 40SKQ
Old 07-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #10

Cummins called today and said they still had fault code 15 and need to replace the inverter assembly. Waiting on US Warranty to approve the additional work.

2007 Diplomat 40SKQ
Old 07-29-2020, 08:51 PM   #11

Got my rig back today. I was told if the stator shorts out it usually takes the inverter out as well. Ran the generator for about 1 hour with both AC's going and all well so far.

2007 Diplomat 40SKQ
Old 07-30-2020, 01:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Got my rig back today. I was told if the stator shorts out it usually takes the inverter out as well. Ran the generator for about 1 hour with both AC's going and all well so far.
Glad to hear it! Hop the inverter swap will do the trick for me. Have a 7500w gas that we are using, but it’s noisy and a pain!
Old 07-31-2020, 05:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmaaayy View Post
Glad to hear it! Hop the inverter swap will do the trick for me. Have a 7500w gas that we are using, but it’s noisy and a pain!
I was getting a code 11 and 15. Code 11 was under voltage which was the stator shorted out which took out the inverter which caused code 15 per the Cummins tech. Good luck and hope the inverter assy fixes your genny.

2007 Diplomat 40SKQ
Old 11-14-2020, 08:16 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mostly for Timmaaayy. Did the swap fix the issue? Yours sounds like my issue, in that my 8HDKAK starts, fires, revs for about a second and immediately shuts off. I get a 36 code (Shut off not commanded by controller). I pulled the cover on my governor assembly and can manually move the throttle spindle (so the governor is not suspect).

Pressing start, that spindle moves to mid-range, but drops to cutoff immediately (shuts off the motor). If I hold the spindle after starting, it will run for several seconds until the controller forces a shutoff (can feel the spindle being rotated). I then get an overspeed fault.

I'll check the idle adjust...that could be the issue. I suspect it's the stator, though, which I'm checking tomorrow. Just curious...how did your inverter swap work out?
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator