Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #15
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Gave it three separate sprays with the electronic cleaner and several connecting/unconnectings. Unfortunately, no joy. However, I do appreciate the suggestion. Cheap and quick and one might get lucky. The can of cleaner is now part of my kit.
I believe you can use your own ground on the pin that goes into the generator plug. Use a small fuse inline when grounding things for protection. I like to use a 2-5 amp but no larger.

This would eliminate the switch and harness.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2875 View Post
Hope your not driving that 120 miles to the cummins service center in charlotte NC. My last and I mean last trip there was very unsatisfactory and it seems that either they were incompetent or didn't care. Drove all the way down there, spent the night in their parking lot so they could duplicate my problem and five hours after they opened and declared there was nothing wrong. Even worse the problem started after cummins tech 'updated' the software!! The problem continues today.

No, Mike, the one I would go to as a last resort would be the one south of Baltimore, MD. And it would be strictly the Onan division as I have a Cat engine. I have a few more things to try before I throw in the towel and go to Baltimore.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:36 PM   #17

You don't have to go to an Onan dealer for work on your genset. I never would after the quote I got from them that was in the $2K range, for a simple bearing replacement. Cost me $650 at a shop that specialized in RV generatiors.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
No, Mike, the one I would go to as a last resort would be the one south of Baltimore, MD. And it would be strictly the Onan division as I have a Cat engine. I have a few more things to try before I throw in the towel and go to Baltimore.
Sorry about the rant. Watching to much national news. COMS or cranky old man syndrome
Old 06-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #19

I just ran into this same issue on my last trip. 2001 Monaco Diplomat 40PDB. Onan 7500 Genset diesel. Gen worked fine and the remote switch worked on our way out, but when we arrived, the darn thing wouldnt shut off from the remote. The switch on the gen works fine, but really limits you from running the roof top AC unit while on the road unless you stop...lol
Where is this curcuit board with the pins? I easily found and cleaned the remote switch wires to the gen and cleaned them. They looked fine and the seal was and is in great shape. I'm thinking the issue is also one of the pins. I also replaced the switch which made no changes to my situation.
sdejong491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #20

Folks,
I should hear from Stoltzfus RV this week as to whether they have found the problem and are able to fix it. I tried to take it to a Cummuns Onan authorized shop who works on RV generators by their office blew me off or was so disorganized that they finally called me on Friday after a near one month hiatus. I guess the want my business after all. Nice to know that I have a back up plan. Stay tuned.

Oh, BTW, they were able to give me the good news as to why my dash air cond wasn't blowing cold. "Sir, your AC compressor has failed. And we strongly urge you to also replace the dryer and (I forgot). Oh, to get to all of this we need to dismount the radiator and CAC. Should run you about $2,300. The tech should be able to get to the generator on the 29th or 30th."

This is just one example of why I urge those who are contemplating the purchase of a motor home, especially a DP, to be ready, willing, and able to write a check for $5,000 when you least expect it. Oh, did I tell you about the new Aqua Hot I had to replace this winter? That was only $9,500. I am not complaining, just thankful that I have been blessed to have the resources to deal with it.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, generator, manual, switch