Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

Generator dies shortly after start up

2006 Monaco knight 8000 onan generator

I hadn't started my generator in 4-5 months. The last time it ran it worked perfectly. It will start and run for about 5 seconds and dies. I can try to restart and does the same thing. I plan to change the fuel filter. Air filter is new.
kvhookj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

You should be getting a code, the code is displayed by the light on the switch blinking. If you are getting three blinks this indicAte a service code. Press the stop button momentarily and it should give a second two digit code.
Example, it repeats three blinks. Press the stop button. The light may blink once then short wait, and blink four times.... Long wait and repeat sequence.
This is the error code that can be looked up.
Repost results and someone can probably help.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel? The fuel pickup typically stops the generator if the fuel tank is below that level.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #4

If it is a diesel ( you don't say ) and it runs for the 5 seconds, it is probably not the fuel filter, unless it is stumbling and struggling to run, and cranks a lot before restarting.

Check the oil, if low it will sense that and shut down.

If it has coolant, check that, same shutdown system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

While its a major leap, you may want to search here at iRV2 for zmmotorsprorts. Mike was chasing a similar issue with his generator and ened up being a expen$ive control board.

My point is that IIRC he did very through step by step diagnostic routine to nail it.

Happy Hunting
Old 03-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #6

When mine did that it was the coolant temp sensor. The code on the switch told me. The gen thought it was overheating. It was a pain as I had to remove the generator to replace it.
Boatdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Make sure there is no load on it when you try to start it. I did that once.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

Its best to run your generator at least once a month. My generator does the same thing if it hasn't been ran for a while. I have to start it several times before it will stay running. If it gets started and ran for 15 minutes once a month then no issues.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #9

Mine was doing the same thing. I found a code 28 and located a short in the transfer switch. Some of the wires were burnt and it could have caused a fire if we failed to find the problem in time.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #10

It could be many of the above things. But I would hold that shut off down for about 30 seconds for 3 times. This will run the fuel pump and prime the engine and see what happens? You should hear the fuel pump running. Let us know please!
Old 03-09-2016, 04:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have had that happen a couple of times when I forgot to turn off auto gen start/stop. I had it set to stop at 100% and it takes about 5 seconds for it to check the status of the charge and then shut off.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of guessing going here but until you extract a code we are really shooting in the dark trying to help.

One other thing to do is hook up a voltmeter to the fuel solenoid and fire it up. If it stumbles and then stalls but you still have voltage at the fuel solenoid then you more than likely have a fuel delivery issue. I am going to go out on a limb by your description that if you were to have a voltmeter hooked up to the fuel solenoid, fired it up and it immediately shut down at the exact time you will have lost your voltage at the fuel solenoid, then you have an issue that the control module is seeing that needs to be addressed, ie. electrical issue.

This is where the code comes into play as it will tell you maybe not what the exact problem is, BUT at least where to start looking. If you are good with a meter you can figure out if you are losing your excitation or possibly a bad connection somewhere as these seem to be easy things to check.

Also get the appropriate FSM as I believe your 8kW Onan is an inverter genset and will differ from others. Having the exact wiring schematic and troubleshooting procedure for your genset is imperative as they differ widely from model to model.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I ran into the same problem once. The cause was the heat sensor that had gone bad. Same as mentiond by BOATDOCTOR here above.

In my case the mechanic was able to remove and replace the sensor without having to pull out the geny.

Good luck!
BT-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:35 AM   #14

I would first change the fuel filter!
The worst that happens is you will have eliminated one of the possibilities. The Best your problem will be solved before resorting to expensive and time consuming trouble shooting.
Barrier

Tags
generator