RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Generator Fuel Pickup Line Too Short

We just finished a family trip through warm weather, and to keep the generator and A/Cs running we were having to fuel up frequently because our 7500w diesel generator stops sucking fuel at 1/2 tank. Once when the generator ran out of gas and shut off, we stopped at the next exit and it only took 51 gallons to fill the 100 gallon tank.

I believe in playing it safe with the fuel guage, but having to fill up with 350-400 miles left in the tank is a little inconvenient.

Isn't it supposed to stop at 1/4 tank? Is there any way to lower the generator suction line further into the tank or replace the line with a slightly longer one?

Thanks in advance, Brian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionGrantd View Post
We just finished a family trip through warm weather, and to keep the generator and A/Cs running we were having to fuel up frequently because our 7500w diesel generator stops sucking fuel at 1/2 tank. Once when the generator ran out of gas and shut off, we stopped at the next exit and it only took 51 gallons to fill the 100 gallon tank.

I believe in playing it safe with the fuel guage, but having to fill up with 350-400 miles left in the tank is a little inconvenient.

Isn't it supposed to stop at 1/4 tank? Is there any way to lower the generator suction line further into the tank or replace the line with a slightly longer one?

Thanks in advance, Brian
I'm guessing, but I think you have a costly problem. The pick up line is located on top of the tank and not accessible without dropping the tank. Contact the coach manufacturer, you might get lucky.

Jim E

Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I lengthened mine on my 07 Knight that is propably the same as the Dip. If you open the fuel door on the drivers side (it is held shut with two screws) you can get to the top of the tank where the two lines from the gen goes into the tank. If I remember right I think you just disconect the rubber fuel hose and unscrew the fittings that go into the tank. On these fittings are plastic line that are real ridgid. I just measured how much further I needed to go down and I pressed a short peice of 5/16 brake line into the end of it. It is a tight fit so it won't fall off. I think I added about 3 inches to mine. Just make sure you stay off the bottom of the tank so you don't suck up dirt or water. There was two line so I did the same to both. Iam sure one was is a return line. Hope this helps.
bborc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #4

Bborc, my Dip looks similar to the description of your Knight, except I have 4 lines. Not exactly sure which are which. Here is a pic. (Notice that Monaco left a little extra tape ... just in case?)

Old 08-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
MotionGrantd....You can buy the new tube from Monaco and then cut it to length. A lot of people have done this in the past.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Motiongratd that is funny with the tape there I wonder what they were taping up. My bad on that 5/16 brake line, it was supposed be 5/16 steel fuel line.I really couldn't tell you what line is what It has been 2 years ago that I did that but if you crawl under I think you will see the two lines coming from the gen set.
bborc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #7

Great info. Thanks guys.

Tags
fuel, generator