Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2022, 01:25 PM   #1

Generator Oil Level

On the new to us the Marquise Gold 5500 gen won't start. It just clicks. It's been setting since we bought it and drove it home nearly 2 weeks ago. I checked the oil level and it's nearly at the top of the reservoir after not running for 2-3 weeks. Is this level normal on cold oil?
khodgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #2

Normal.

If the oil was the problem, it would still turn over with the starter motor.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is your battery voltage ?
How clean are your cable connections ?

Let's start there.
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #4

Is the clicking coming from the fuel pump or the starter solenoid. If it is coming from
the fuel pump, just keep holding the starter button and in 10 seconds or so and it should
turn over and start. It needs to go through the glow plug cycles.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy70 View Post
Is the clicking coming from the fuel pump or the starter solenoid. If it is coming from
the fuel pump, just keep holding the starter button and in 10 seconds or so and it should
turn over and start. It needs to go through the glow plug cycles.

I believe he has a gasoline generator.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:58 PM   #6

I'm 74 so old school. It sounds just like the old Fords solenoid clicked when they went bad. I'll do some more checking on it tomorrow morning. The rv park we're currently in is infested with mosquitos so difficult to do anything outside until we leave in 2 1/2 weeks. I still need to know the proper procedure for checking the oil level.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:32 AM   #7

All the service , diognostic manuals are available online. You need the real model # as they carried same names through changes. I think most had a start solenoid and starter with twist to engage bendix so no solenoid on starter.Start with basics.. connections, battery power, jump/bypass the starter solenoid ect...I don't think there are safeties to prevent starter from engaging only after on the gas ones. Seen starter brushes and commutator just needs a spin then run until warm a few times disconnected for the motor , to wake them up after sitting around.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 11:21 AM   #8

Will the service engine red lite blinking have to be reset before it will start, and I still need to know how to properly check the oil level in the gen. Right now, after setting nearly 2 weeks it's at the top of the reservoir. Is this normal? Thanks
Old 07-20-2022, 09:52 AM   #9

From my experience you may be a little overfilled on oil. I believe owners purposely slightly overfilled a certain models.You may want to just do oil change with amount called for, now you know exactly where it should at. Again Onan owner and service manuals are pretty easy to at least look at online. You may to search just a little extra to a downloadable one. I include pdf at end of manual searches it helps. Avoid sites that want you to sign up for or download some other things/play switcheroo on you download.
Use full model name they have letters at the end owners/service manual may cover a small group of generators.
I've downloaded several onan service manuals to help people here including my removed onan and current Generac to check all remote wiring interfacing. I keep copy on phone and print, punch for a binder.
Also the manuals are well written and easy to understand most troubleshooting tests. Tests are written well for techs that may not be electrical geniuses .
Engine building and measurements may be beyond some owners skill set if no prior experience.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
From my experience you may be a little overfilled on oil. I believe owners purposely slightly overfilled a certain models. .
When I bought my rig with the Onan-Cummins QD 3200 air cooled it had about 7 oz too much oil but ran fine. I extracted the excess oil but in the summer on the highway at 113F it shut down on overheat. Now I am wondering if they put in the excess oil in an attempt to prevent it from overheating.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Usually the generator just clicking is caused by chassis battery low voltage. On most Monaco coaches there is a very long cable run from the battery to the generator.
Do you have a Boost switch to tie both battery banks? If so use it.
You can also start the main engine and after a few minutes then try starting the generator.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #12

Thank you
Old 07-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #13

Error codes ?

Hold toggle down and it'll blink a number of blinks, how many specifies the error why not starting.
Pud
Chatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator