Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2007, 06:22 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Brenda/Tony -

I'm due for the same 'surgery' tomorrow with my QD8000 gen-set. Misery loves company??

You mentioned it was a known-issue; I like to be prepared when going to those kinda things, so you have any Cummins documentation or other info I can use to "remind" the Cummins folks about it not being an isolated-event?

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:59 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ron, ours is a QD12500, so I don't know if I'll be of any help, but the "known issue" was that it had 2 fan belts, one of which broke, and he told Tony that it had to be "retro-fitted" with a single fan belt setup (that has a serpentine configuration). Because it was a known issue, the entire thing was covered (it would have cost $1,700!). They even covered the cost of the fan belt. Also, they told us that we couldn't have changed (or even gotten to) the fan belt ourselves, they had to take the entire generator out of the coach to get to it.

Also, at our last event up in Washington, a friend was telling us that this has been a common problem. I forget all the details, but he sends out dozens, if not hundreds of gennies to Europe for his company, and they were going down consistently. He actually designed a retrofit himself, which Cummins then not only used, but patented! So, it sounds like it may apply to many different models. I hope that helps, let us know how it goes.

Brenda
Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
p.s. we just tried to find the receipt/invoice from that repair and it's not in the file that it should be in. If I can find it, I'll let you know.

Brenda
Old 08-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Many thanks for the heads-up.

Had planned to spend the day entertaining myself at Cummins/Onan, but they had the new belt on in almost no time at all. Made me wonder at first if they really did anything, it was that fast.

Turns out, yours does have a different belt arrangement and there had been issues with that configuration, but I guess we with our 'tiny' generators got lucky. They said there was very few belt-issues with the 8K's.

Again, thanks!

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I'm very happy to hear it worked out well. And for the record, your gennie is hardly tiny... it's just that ours can power a small town if needed (and assuming it's working)! LOL! Happy traveling!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Ron and Brenda..,,,,

How many hours did each of you have on the gennies when they failed? May be something for all of us to watch for.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Ours was at 750 hours.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:26 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed-Deb:
If you can access the area where the fan belts are...you might check to see if the belts are intact ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A. It's always something simple.

B. The simple things are always a PITA to fix.

Glad you got it repaired and all is (hopefully) well!

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
610 hours for me. Hey, since mine was lower, do I win something??

From talking to several people at Cummins/Onan, they 'said' this is isolated. But then, it didn't happen to them either. At least I have a spare-belt now, and know how to change it (if I have the time and am not near a Cummins/Onan facility).

I gotta tell ya, it got DARN hot crossing New Mexico/Texas eastbound that day with just the dash-air. And here I used to love that huge one-piece windshield. I was considering taping aluminum-foil over the entire thing and just leave a little slit to see out to drive.

Ron