Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #15

Your coach batteries should operate lights, heater and refer for you at night. They should be checked out along with the converter that charges them.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #16

By your own admission you are not machanicaly inclined, you made the right choice to take it to the gen dealer for repairs. However you need to read the opp/owners manual on the generator before you take it in. Once the repairs are made make sure the generator works like it supposed to BEFORE you leave the repair shop, saves you a trip back if all is not well. Also in your spare time around the house take a little time to read all the owners/ operators manuals on your coach, and take a little time to find things like fuses/breakers, switches. Might make things a little easier to find when you have a problem.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Pretty amazing how much of a mess 2 qts. of oil mist can make.
I had a similar experience while on the road in Nova Scotia.

Just as Blue Lake said........you'd think CW would do great work. But, it really depends on the people in the service department at the particular CW you may choose. In my experience I won't choose any CW again for service.
Yea.....you folks are right ! I had a moment of a "proper world" thought. Sorry about that. Just needed to hear it again.

I should have known better. I run a auto repair shop, and finding "great" mechanics is very difficult. I am in the process of letting one "go" due to his poor performances, late attendences, and "holier than thou" attitude.

Like: "I went to a trade school, and I am the greatest technician in this town". (nearly his exact words).

Anyway....just needed some feed back here.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #18

I don't know if this will help but I had a similar problem with my gas powered gen set. As soon as it started I would let go of the start button. It would run for a few minutes, then act like it ran out of fuel. Someone suggested I hold the start button for 5 seconds after it started to reset something or other and basically tell the fuel pump that the generator it was on so start pumping fuel. That is all it took. It runs fine now...
Old 11-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Skype™ to mjwest
fixed!

after a full day at the shop Cummins was able to determine the pressure regulator inside the generator was not working properly. looked at it once removed and it was gunked up with oil like residue. they advised it was a normal LP byproduct. seems strange to me as I thought LP burned pretty clean. anyway it appears resolved (fingers crossed). thank heavens for extended warranty. got CW to install new tow hookup on RV and suv. we're ready to go now!
mjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #20
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwest View Post
after a full day at the shop Cummins was able to determine the pressure regulator inside the generator was not working properly. looked at it once removed and it was gunked up with oil like residue. they advised it was a normal LP byproduct. seems strange to me as I thought LP burned pretty clean.
Propane does burn clean, at least vapor propane. The regulator on your generator is also (I believe) a vaporizer. Liquid propane is piped to the regulator. The regulator then vaporized the propane to feed the engine. The oil Cummins found in the regulator is SOP for liquid propane system. AS preventive maintenance for the future note the hours on the genset when you had the regulator replaced. It will likely happen again at the approx. same hours.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
rex

Monaco Owners Club
LP Now you tell us - you have an LP powered Generator. Or did you already know that. It runs on propane not diesel!

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some propane will have minute traces of oil from the handling and compression of it for storage. Liquid propane is a solvent and will wash oil off. Vaporizing the propane will usually leave the oil residue behind and it can be gummy if it is a "bad" type oil. So you need to plan as part of your regular maintenance checking the reegulator and changing filters.

Also, as suggest, you need to spend some time with the coach operating manuals. I would not suggest you read every page, but you do need to take a highlighter and mark specific requirements for maintenance and troubleshooting.

Also, keep the manuals on the coach for future reference. If you are on a trip and have a problem, having them filed at home is not much help.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #23

Rex - He did say it was LPG in post 11

Michael - LPG comes from tank to filter, to shut off valve, to regulator. Did they clean the filter and make sure the shut off valve was not gunked up too? I would think it might be possible that the filter got filled up and allowed the "odor additive in the propane" to get to the regulator. If they didn't, then this could recur sooner than later.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Skype™ to mjwest
Sounds like this should be something that could be prevented. ??? Any suggestions? This regulator is internal causing me to drop the generator periodically. It was expensive, but as a regular event...wow. any kind of cleaner additive available?
mjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #25

Not that I know of. I am of the understanding that the black gunk is the odor additive. It ends up throught the LPG system.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Years ago I was a maintenance man, and repaired propane forklifts. Had to 'rebuild' those regulators on a regular cycle.

But if you have to drop the genset to get to it, I would just wait till you have trouble again. Be sure to run the genset once a month with 1/2 a load on it for about an hour.

If the cost of the part is too much, you could get a kit, and learn how to overhaul it. Its not difficult.

Tags
generator