Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Hurrah ! Went out and started the gen, same results. THEN, pressed stop once. Got a blinking code 27, controller unable to sense required parameter. Could be the connection, as someone stated earlier. I will disconnect and clean/grease connection tomorrow. (dielectric grease). I too remember recently reading about someone with the same symptoms and that was the fix. I do in fact have the manual, so easy to look codes up.
THANKS all for the input, I will report back tomorrow. Jon
bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Onan 10.0 and 12.5KW diesel generators use the same fuel filter as the old 1988 GMC 6.2L diesel.
It looks like a rectangular box. Make sure you break the fuel lines loose before you unbolt the filter. Then, make sure you start the fuel line fittings before you bolt down the new filter.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...145258&jsn=742
I also have the NGK glow plug part number if anyone needs it. They are 1/4 the cost of the Cummins Onan glow plug.
Vito, would the glow plug not be specific to the diesel? I know they used Kubota and at least one other small diesel.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
These older models use an Izuzu 3 cylinder diesel engine (both the 10.0 and the 12.5). The newer models use a Kubota engine.
For the early generators, the Cummins glow plug part number is 187-1289 ($39.96 each from Cummins).
The NGK part number is NGK 5392 Y720U. These are $10.96 at either Rock Auto or Summit Racing.
After changing the glow plugs, our generator starts instantly. It used to crank over an extended period before starting.
A friend told me about the fuel filters being the same as the old GM 6.2 diesel.

Has anyone cross referenced the oil filters?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Question

Went out and disconnected a rectangular connector alongside the generator, next to the 120v AC lines. About 8 pins, probably remote start lines. Looked good, but cleaned it as best I could, added dielectric grease, reconnected. Started gen, after 34-40 seconds, died again. Same code, 27. Is that the connector in question ? Can't see them, but there appears to be some electrical lines running to the back of the generator. 12V battery lines to the starter, and another bundle of wires. I am somewhat limited in my physical abilities(old, bad knees, arthritis) so I may be at my limit. Of course manual says to take it to Cummins.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Here are other threads with Onan code 27:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/gens...7-a-89508.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/onan...7-a-24694.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/gene...7-a-39952.html

It is caused by interference from your inverter charging your batteries at the same time the main engine is charging. Old Scout suggested an update for the Trace inverter but he says turning off the Trace inverter battery charger may get you by. He also suspected a bad ground but did not confirm it.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #20

For future reference:
Shutting a breaker energizes the downstream load.
Opening a breaker removes power from the loads.

The opposite of valves and water.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks vito.a, good reads. lots to think about, I don't have a xanatrex inverter, I have a trace (1999). I recently added two more solar panels to add to my one original. don't see how it can be connected, but I did not use my generator since then. Still thinking.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks tfryman, thought I may have had it backwards. Jon...
Old 08-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Jon here again. Problem is ALWAYS without the main engine running. So possible interference from main engine generator is not it, but maybe solar ?? I will keep trying things.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe I should have been clearer. Trace and Xantrex are the same company. The early inverters say Trace, but today they say Xantrex.
Try turning off your battery charge switch on your inverter.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #25

Agree with Vito, try it without charging the batteries. This may sound silly, but if you added solar it may be enough to cause your inverter to charge the batteries, or it may be the solar is doing it.

I don't know how your coach is configured, but if it has a system to charge the engine batteries when the coach side is being charged, the additional solar may be enough to trigger it.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
distaff, you may be right. My solar controller charges both engine and house batteries. I am not plugged in, so inverter should not be charging the batteries. Not sure I can turn off battery charging from inverter, manual says it is always charging if receiving 120V. BUT, not on shore power, sooo. I will disconnect solar and see if that makes a difference. There is no 'on/off switch' on solar, so I will have to disconnect. if that does it, I will add an off/on switch to solar. Wish me luck !
Old 08-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
NO JOY !! Disconnected solar at the controller, checked grounds on inverter/charger. Started generator, same results. I'm out of ideas.
I will keep reading, thinking. Jon..
Old 08-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon42 View Post
NO JOY !! Disconnected solar at the controller, checked grounds on inverter/charger. Started generator, same results. I'm out of ideas.
I will keep reading, thinking. Jon..
How did you get so far off base that you though solar was shutting down your generator ?

If something in the MH was causing an overload, the generator breakers would trip.

Since they don't, and the engine stops instead, the engine doesn't have enough power, to make enough amps, to trip them.

You have a generator engine problem.

PS: Glow plugs pre-heat the combustion air for starting the engine. Once its started, they do nothing. That's not your problem either.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, generator, problem, problems