RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Generator Question

What has been the longest stretch of time that anyone has run their generator? We often dry camp and was just wondering. We have a 2001 Dynasty with a 7500 Onan. Thanks

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Days in a row or hours in a row. The oil change interval is 150 hours on mine. I would not hesitate to run mine that long. It has low oil and coolant sensors so a lot of built in safety.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #3

I ran mine 10 days straight then shut down for oil change another 10 while our house was being remodeled before we moved in.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Longest at one time without shutting it down has been about 14 hours. That was to not only keep the air conditioners going because it was hot but because I was also powering the lights and air compressor in our race trailer while at the drag strip. Next day was another 12+ hour day of running it.

That has probably been the longest we have run ours in a single weekend. Now that we are no longer racing we only put about 30-40 hours a year on it.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #5

I ran mine about 85 hours continously while traveling from NC to Colorado on a trip. Had to have it to stay cool as it was July and scalding hot.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Just an FYI- its good for the machine to run your generator- they function best when fully utilized and the more hours, the better! Whether its a diesel or gas RV gennie (not the cheapo crap from China Discount Tools), they are designed to run until their service interval (usually oil change is first).

When we worked in the oil patch, our 15 KW diesel generator ran constantly for months at a time, only shutting it down to check/change oil and coolant.

On our RV, we have run the gas Onan for a week or more on many occasions.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

A few years ago, during a late season moose hunting trip, we ran the generator 24/7 for 8 days. I had changed the oil/filter before leaving home as it was getting close to needing changing and I knew that we were going to be running it a lot. the temps were in the mid 20's to low teens. We also plugged the engine block heater in for a few hours before it was time to leave, just to ensure that the engine would start.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for everyone's replies. We will let her run!

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Good topic and replies. I've always been told generators are made to run. Not running them is what causes problems. I'm heading on a cross county this summer and I'll be running the generator throughout the trip to keep the coach cool. At a minimum the manual says run it at least 4 hours per month with a load. I try to run mine at least that much if not more.

Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator