Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #1

Generator question

In my 2004 Monaco Camelot can I program the generator to start if I loose shore power? Like for example, being away, pets inside, the outside temp is 107 and the power takes a dump. I know I can set the inverter/converter on the remote control panel to start the generator if the battery’s drop to a preset voltage. But can I leave the inverter/converter out of the equation. I believe the inverter/converter will come on and run the coach on battery power if a shore power loss happens. Then when low battery voltage is sensed, the generator will fire. Problem is battery power is not enough to run both AC units.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 06:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What inverter do you have.

Some inverters have the ability to do this with a AGS add-on that senses temp.

Onan did offer a remote start option that has a temp sense function but it is discontinued. I installed one so that if we are hooked to shore power and if it goes out it will start the generator, have to make sure the AC's are on.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
In my 2004 Monaco Camelot can I program the generator to start if I loose shore power? Like for example, being away, pets inside, the outside temp is 107 and the power takes a dump. I know I can set the inverter/converter on the remote control panel to start the generator if the battery’s drop to a preset voltage. But can I leave the inverter/converter out of the equation. I believe the inverter/converter will come on and run the coach on battery power if a shore power loss happens. Then when low battery voltage is sensed, the generator will fire. Problem is battery power is not enough to run both AC units.
The air conditioners are not connected to the inverter and have separate circuits in the main distribution panel. Even if the inverter is on the air conditioners will not operate unless the generator is running or you are on shore power. Most AGS (automatic generator start) will either start the generator on low battery voltage or in our case SOC (state of charge) or a high temperature inside the coach. You can usually select the temperature setpoint.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco offered a Ridge Creek temperature Auto Gen start system. If you have this system, you will have a separate thermostat under your Dometic Comfort Control thermostat. You will also have a Ridge Creek control box in the basement near the inverter. This system will start your generator based on a set inside temperature.

They also installed a Trace RC7 AG remote for the Trace inverter. This can be set to start the generator based on battery state of charge. This feature probably will not do what you are asking.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator