Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Generator quit

The generator quit and the door wont open. I started the gennie with no problem. then turned on 1 A/C unit. As soon as the fan went on, the generator stopped. Can't start it and can't open the front access door. I looked in the book but can't find what controls the door or generator. Looked at as many fuses and breakers I could find and they are all good. I even disconnected batteries for a while and tried again. Nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think your 2002 Monaco Windsor has a switch on the left side of the driver's position that hydraulically opens and closes the generator slide.

Do you have more than a quarter tank of fuel? The generator is prevented from draining the fuel tank by making it's fuel pick-up shorter than the main engine's.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

I know from experience if you turn on a AC unit before the generator has had time to warm up and get ready for a load, about 2 minutes or so, the generator will shut down.. but it should restart after it has had a change to get over it.. ours did.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There should be a generator door switch on the drivers side console and also one in the front drivers side electrical run bay.

If you push the button and can hear the hydraulic motor running and the door doesn't open you have a problem with the hydraulic lock valve sticking on the generator. I carry a large deep well socket that fits the nut on the end of the generator slide ram, I undo the nut and then pull the generator out. If the lock valve is hung the only way to get it free is to take the valve block apart and clean. Attached is a schematic and parts break down and manual for the generator slide.

As for the generator, assuming you have enough fuel in your tank, hold the prime (start) button down several times before trying to start. Make sure you can hear the fuel pump run. Then try starting.

If that doesn't work are you getting any blink codes from the generator, the start but will flash a 2 digit type code.

FYI, I have a 2002 Windsor also and have accumulated a large amount of information regarding the coach. At one point Monaco left the dealer access to the maintenance website unprotected and I downloaded +100 files specific to my coach. The parts list for the generator slide is one of them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Generator Slideout Info.pdf (18.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Generator Slide Lock Valve.pdf (116.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf Power Gear Generator Slide Manual 82-S0298-00.pdf (144.6 KB, 26 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:49 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Thank you to everyone. I do not hear any sounds when pushing the switch. Plenty of fuel in the tank but it will not start. The on/off switch was blinking. it blinked 3 times and then a pause and then kept the same pattern.
I have the MH at a storage lot so I will be going over again today to crawl under to see what's going on. Again thanks to everyone and I will post how I make out.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
HUNDREDS of pages of info can be found regarding the generator (NOT the "door" problem) in the - RV Systems area of iRV2. They discuss the meaning of "lights flashing" - there are many.
BTW, you've never said and no one has asked, which generator you've got which will be useful after the "door" is opened...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The 3 blinks indicate that generator shut down for an abnormal condition.

Do you have and Owners Manual, if you do there is a section on troubleshooting that explains how to retrieve the full blink code.

To get the blink code to start again
Restoring Fault Code Blinking
:
The fault code

stops blinking after five minutes. Press
Stop three

times within five seconds to restore blinking. Note
that
the last fault logged will blink, even after the

condition that caused the shutdown has been corrected.

There will probably be a 2 digit code. Let us know what the code is.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
OK, back in business! I was all set to tackle the door but when I connected the batteries it worked. I disconnected them before hoping to reset something but no luck. This time it must have done something. So I pulled the cover and checked fuses on the generator, all good. Tried to start but wouldn't. Got the code 36 and did what it said. Ran it for a while and put a load on it and no problems. I will let it run a little before a load next time. I'm learning.
Thanks to all.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you got it fixed.

Same thing has happened to me and it just took a while to get it started. When it did start it ran rough for a while and then settled back down.

Tags
generator