Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

Generator runs great but not getting power

Started the generator for the first time this year and it started right up. I'm not getting power to the coach. Checked the circuit breaker and it's fine. The panel is not showing any input. The only thing I can think of is the transfer switch.
Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
did you check the CB on the gen itself?
Old 07-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #3

Yes I did. This is the first time this has happened. It's a 2005 Holiday Rambler.
Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Try flipping the generator breaker off then back on.

This has happened 3-4 time sin the last 11 years we've owned our coach.

If that doesn't fix it it could be the transfer switch which should make the generator power priority.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #5

Are you sure its reaching full RPMs. A bad fuel filter will allow it run, but at less then full speed.

You need to measure voltage output at a point before or at the ATS ( auto transfer switch ).
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #6

Test voltage at ATS gen input and make sure no burnt wire connections. Tighten up the lugs while your in there.If nothing is coming out of genny,you may have exciter issue with the genny. Sometimes just letting it run will wake it up . Mine did after restarting a few times and letting it run for 30 mins it sprung back to life.. I suspect it had not been run for over a year . Stored in pole building luckily. A few systems were in question the purchase and the price of coach was in question and negotiation. The seller was good dude and said he would reimburse me for my time fixing a couple things if there was deal breaker for me. I have read that holding the starter longer after it starts will excite it again but needs to be done as last effort and maybe others have more help.
You may already know .The generator should be run monthly at 50% load or so .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Didn't say what you're working on, but I assume this is an Onan diesel genny??
I believe the generator will shut down and error if it's not making the right voltage. So the generator must think everything is fine, and something has to be stopping the voltage from getting from the generator to your transfer switch.
Onan has a troubleshooting tree in the service manual. It basically says if your generator is running, look for an issue outside of the generator.
Are you sure the breaker on the generator is good and not tripped? Like others said, the other likely culprit is your transfer switch. See if you've got generator voltage inside the transfer switch. If not, pull the panel off the generator and confirm you've got voltage at the back of the breaker.
I had several random and mysterious instances of the the same problem you're describing and each time I found the main breaker on the generator had tripped with no apparent cause.
After the 3rd or 4th such occurrence I eventually found a cat footprint sliding down the panel and ending at the breaker post.
I hope you figure it out!
Walter

Tags
generator, power