Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2020, 11:11 PM   #1

Generator Slide-Out Face Is GLUED On!!!!!

Exiting my last campground, I incorrectly estimated the height of a tree stump. As I backed up, it bight the very bottom edge of the generator slide-out at the front of my coach.

I guess - in a way - it's good that Monaco glued these onto the supports rather then bolted or screwed them in. Fortunately, the four very top connections held but all of the side and bottom ones gave out!!!

Has anyone encountered this? Any idea what type of glue/adhesive Monaco used and where I can get the same? Not sure if it a "Crazy" or "Gorilla" glue type product.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201010_191353882.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	304256   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201010_191325541.MP.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	304257  

Name:	PXL_20201010_191356584.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	304258   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201010_191437127.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	304259  

Name:	PXL_20201010_191334582.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	366.1 KB
ID:	304260  
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2020, 04:08 AM   #2

Looks like it was moulded into the fiberglass panel when the panel was laid up. West system epoxy with the adhesive thickener will do the job. Available at most marine stores and directions for how are on the West Marine or Jamestown Distributors sites. Other brands of marine epoxy will work also.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:27 AM   #3

First off the worst thing you can do is use the two types of glue you mentioned above, they will contaminate the joint and make a proper repair next to impossible. I would then call the manufacturer and see what they recommend. There are generally two types of resin (adhesive) used in laying up fiberglass, epoxy and polyester (fiberglass) resin. Neither one is difficult to work with, they're just a little messy, so this is something you can do yourself. Once you determine what the manufacturer uses on that joint get some of the suggested adhesive, clean the joint with acetone, apply the adhesive and clamp the joint overnight. Probably the most difficult part will be figuring out a way to clamp the joint. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The G-Flex epoxy adhesive will work well for this. I use this epoxy a lot and its very easy to mix and apply. It has the consistency of toothpaste. Just sand off any loose material and wipe clean with acetone. Then apply the epoxy and clamp in place till dry.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct-detail/8695

This marine epoxy is nice because it is somewhat flexible (hence the name). If you had a cured bead of this, you could bend it some (where regular epoxy would snap in half). Flexibility is good in applications that are subject to vibrations (like road and wind buffeting).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:21 AM   #5

When sanding this material, please use a mask. The dust can cause lung damage.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with CountryB on using the 2 part epoxy. Prep is very important.

You can take the front hood off completely if you want and lay it face down on the ground using a soft blanket to protect the paint finish. Then use weights to hold the bracket in place while the epoxy cures.

Before you disassemble anything, be sure to mark the connections so you can re-assemble it back the same way.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I agree with CountryB on using the 2 part epoxy. Prep is very important.

You can take the front hood off completely if you want and lay it face down on the ground using a soft blanket to protect the paint finish. Then use weights to hold the bracket in place while the epoxy cures.

Before you disassemble anything, be sure to mark the connections so you can re-assemble it back the same way.

I agree with this, take the front off and lay it down. Even if you add a thickener/binder to the epoxy it will want to flow and if you try to this while the cap is vertical it will run.

I've used West epoxy, you can get a faster hardener if you want. If you are concerned about appearance you can even get black pigment to help it blend into the original.

On the main contact points, after reattaching it to the cap, you could also lay fiberglass cloth across and epoxy it also.

Also, from your picture, it almost looks like there is wood embedded into the fiberglass. Mine has this and there are screws that are used to attach the frame to cap. I worked a insulated truck manufacturing company that did this, we placed them in key positions depending on where the piece went. Same thing in boat manufacturing. You might check to make sure you don't have the ability to use lag type screws to help attach the cap to the frame.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, generator, slide