Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 07:15 AM   #1

Generator slide tray bearing

Hello there fellow Monaco owners. I have a 2002 Windsor with 120,000+ miles on it. I bought it in 2008 with 50,000 miles. It's been a great rig. Iv'e replaced just about every major component in the drive train except the engine. Fortunately, these component failures have been pretty well spread out over the years! I jokingly tell everyone, "what you don't see is new".
My current issue is one of the bearings on the generator slide try has failed causing it not to retract all the way without me underneath the rig with a pry bar while my wife operates the switch. I'm trying to find the type of roller bearing which would be correct replacement for the original. Has anyone experienced this issue? Thanks, Mike
RV mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2022, 08:17 AM   #2

Hello Mike
I haven't replaced mine, but I think I have seen them at McMaster Carr,
maybe Grainger.

"Except the engine" does that include the transmission?

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a parts page from Monaco and a Power Gear Manual. It has the model number of the slide system but does not include details as to the bearing.
You might try calling/contacting Lippert as they are the current owners of that system. No idea if they will support it or not.

Last time I was checking on a bedroom slide system part the were of no help all.

When I had a problem with the generator slide lock valve I called a local RV shop and they sourced the part for me.

I know the Veurinks does a great job supporting Monaco rigs, you might contact them if all else fails.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Generator Slideout Info.pdf (18.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf Power Gear Generator Slide Manual 82-S0298-00.pdf (144.6 KB, 30 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I was under a friend’s 06 Camelot lubing his generator rollers a few days ago and found the he had more rollers than my 08 Camelot and they were a smaller diameter. Snowflakes again.

More than likely you will need to remove one and measure it.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Happycarz

Would you like another friend?….

Sorry no help on the slide.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
They are usually called cam followers. McMaster Carr calls them track rollers and they have a huge selection.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:49 PM   #7

mine are ycrs-20.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:56 AM   #8

Transmission replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Hello Mike
I haven't replaced mine, but I think I have seen them at McMaster Carr,
maybe Grainger.

"Except the engine" does that include the transmission?

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
Hello. Yes, that includes the transmission. The transmission cooler is inside the radiator. It developed a hairline crack which allowed the transmission fluid to mix with the antifreeze. The antifreeze, (ethylene glycol) eats up the clutch discs. It happens fast when they get together. That's the achilles heel to an otherwise bulletproof MH 3000 transmission. There's no way to anticipate or check for this through routine maintenance. This is the most efficient method of cooling-- liquid heat exchanger. The other method is to have an air to air exchanger which if fails, will not take out the transmission. I believe that they don't cool as effectively however. A friend of mine has the latter in and his runs about 20-30 degrees hotter.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:12 AM   #9

Smile Generator slide tray bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Here is a parts page from Monaco and a Power Gear Manual. It has the model number of the slide system but does not include details as to the bearing.
You might try calling/contacting Lippert as they are the current owners of that system. No idea if they will support it or not.

Last time I was checking on a bedroom slide system part the were of no help all.

When I had a problem with the generator slide lock valve I called a local RV shop and they sourced the part for me.

I know the Veurinks does a great job supporting Monaco rigs, you might contact them if all else fails.
Hello Jim. Thanks for the response. Well, I crawled under the generator with the slide out and found that the rollers were "frozen". That's what happens with 20 years of neglect. I ( I totally overlooked this item during routine maintenance). A few squirts of penetrating oil freed them up. They now rotate smoothly like new. They're now going to get an annual squirt.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:15 AM   #10

Smile slide tray bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yoopers View Post
They are usually called cam followers. McMaster Carr calls them track rollers and they have a huge selection.
Thanks for the response. They were frozen. I gave them a shot of WD40 and they spin like new. I added them to the maintenance list.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV mike View Post
Hello. Yes, that includes the transmission. The transmission cooler is inside the radiator. It developed a hairline crack which allowed the transmission fluid to mix with the antifreeze. The antifreeze, (ethylene glycol) eats up the clutch discs. It happens fast when they get together. That's the achilles heel to an otherwise bulletproof MH 3000 transmission. There's no way to anticipate or check for this through routine maintenance. This is the most efficient method of cooling-- liquid heat exchanger. The other method is to have an air to air exchanger which if fails, will not take out the transmission. I believe that they don't cool as effectively however. A friend of mine has the latter in and his runs about 20-30 degrees hotter.

Thanks Mike, I've heard of that and it's a chilling thought.
pun intended

Are you doing all those repairs yourself?
To hire all of that would break Elon Musk. LOL

The slide bearing is small stuff compared to what you've done.
Let us know what you find/do to repair

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:56 AM   #12

02 Monaco Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Thanks Mike, I've heard of that and it's a chilling thought.
pun intended

Are you doing all those repairs yourself?
To hire all of that would break Elon Musk. LOL

The slide bearing is small stuff compared to what you've done.
Let us know what you find/do to repair

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
Ray. I had the repairs done in Lake Havasu City. The Tranny died just as I rolled into town. Had a great local truck shop fix me up at a fair price. It was our destination after a 1500 mile trip from Washington. Then on our way home on top of Dead Man Pass on I-84 east of Pendleton Oregon, I applied the engine brake at the top of the pass, and the pinion gear stripped and now we have no rearend. Got towed to Pasco Wa. for a new rearend, (90 miles from home). Unhooked the tow and drove home while we got a new rearend. Yes, the maintenance for the round trip snowbird to Arizona was about $5/mile, a bit more than I budgeted for.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yikes, I guess it was unexpected.

Did you do any service/oil change to the differential? I've only read of one other Monaco having a problem with a ring and pinion.

These rear ends are pretty robust and axles are designed for pretty severe service. Over my years of work in the mining industry I've seen quite a few fail but it is night and day as to the stresses and strains while working. Imagine driving your rig 18 hours a day for 365 days a year in the harshest of environments, steep grades, rapid back and forth movement, shifting gears on the fly. That's what these things are designed for.

Loss of lubrication would be one thing that really can destroy a ring and pinion fast.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:13 PM   #14

Question Monaco Rearend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Yikes, I guess it was unexpected.

Did you do any service/oil change to the differential? I've only read of one other Monaco having a problem with a ring and pinion.

These rear ends are pretty robust and axles are designed for pretty severe service. Over my years of work in the mining industry I've seen quite a few fail but it is night and day as to the stresses and strains while working. Imagine driving your rig 18 hours a day for 365 days a year in the harshest of environments, steep grades, rapid back and forth movement, shifting gears on the fly. That's what these things are designed for.

Loss of lubrication would be one thing that really can destroy a ring and pinion fast.
Ray. First of all, I had my own construction company for 44 years. I did site work with Dozers, backhoes, excavators, dump trucks and miscellaneous other equipment. Maintenance is paramount if you want to stay in business. Regarding the motorhome, Yes I have had the rear end fluid replaced, regular oil changes and lubes, not to mention being almost paranoid about the Ph of the antifreeze. Anyway, I use the engine brake A LOT!. Like Iv'e never had to replace the brake linings, they don't need replacing at 120,000+ miles. Maybe I traded brake wear for rear end wear! Engine braking transfers the stress to the other side of the pinion gear. Maybe that's what happened, I don't know.

Tags
generator, slide